PDA

View Full Version : Koni 8611's on a MKI

Sandro
09-11-2010, 09:59 PM
I bought used set of Koni Double Adjustables for the the Front and Single Adjustables for the back, that were supposed to fit a MKI.

When I went to bolt up the fronts I see that they are actually MKII housings. Bolt spacing is different and the knuckle is not wide enough. I could fix the knuckle width with a spacer but the bolt spacing won't be as easy.

Before I go modifying them, am I correct in saying that their is no MKI housing that will fit the 8611 inserts? I believe the MKI housing are not wide enough.

Knestis
09-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Use MkII knuckle assemblies like the previous owner...?

;)

Contact Lee Grimes or one of his Koni race shop gurus and they can probably come up with options. If there are any. PM on its way.

K

Sandro
09-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Use MkII knuckle assemblies like the previous owner...?

I wish, previous owner had them on a Prod Car/GTL car.

Might end up just building some housings from scratch, that why I can also benefit from a little more suspension travel, giving me more droop. Going to call Koni on Monday, to get some input.

shwah
09-12-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't know how compatible they are with Koni housings, but Ground Control sells both housings, and U-weld it housing kits that I use with the A-D struts. Might save you some time if they work for the Konis...

Sandro
09-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Don't see anything on their website, I'll give them a call in the morning.

So you fabbed up your own housings?
How did you go about determining where in the struts travel range to have the car sitting at static ride height?
These Konis have a 5.6" travel range, so I was thinking of having the insert compressed about 2" when static. Giving me about 2" of droop and then 3.5" of compression.

Going to see what Koni recommends but input from someone who has already done it would help.

Bill Miller
09-13-2010, 09:24 AM
I wish, previous owner had them on a Prod Car/GTL car.

Might end up just building some housings from scratch, that why I can also benefit from a little more suspension travel, giving me more droop. Going to call Koni on Monday, to get some input.

You don't want to drop those cars too far. When you get the lower control arms angling up (inside to outside), you start putting the front roll center underground.

Sandro
09-13-2010, 09:30 AM
You don't want to drop those cars too far. When you get the lower control arms angling up (inside to outside), you start putting the front roll center underground.

Droop not drop

Thats another reason for building new housings. Even if I could get these to work, with the shaft all the way out they are barely long enough to have the control arms flat.