PDA

View Full Version : no spark

monsterbronco
09-11-2010, 04:35 PM
ok a little back story first.

car ran earlier in the year. july i blew a water seal. i finally finished swaping a spare motor into the car. now im not getting spark on either of the trailing plugs.

did it miss an electrical connection?
is my coil bad?

thanks for the help.

Wes

monsterbronco
09-12-2010, 02:33 PM
ok figured out why i wasnt getting a spark on the trailing plugs. the wire broke going to the o2 sensor. i have spark again! battery is finishing charging. lets hope it starts now!

Wes

tdw6974
09-12-2010, 08:13 PM
ok figured out why i wasnt getting a spark on the trailing plugs. the wire broke going to the o2 sensor. i have spark again! battery is finishing charging. lets hope it starts now!

Wes
Good LUCK!! No start can be a pain.

C. Ludwig
09-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Glad you got it going, but a disconnected O2 wire will not cause a spark issue. You have/had an issue somewhere else.

monsterbronco
09-13-2010, 12:34 PM
hmm. im not sure then. i pulled the upper intake back off to check all the connections. found the o2 sensor problem, fixed it. reassembled everything and i had spark on the trailing plugs.

any thoughts Chris?

thanks

Wes

monsterbronco
09-14-2010, 07:38 PM
ok so the fun continues.

the motor keeps flooding. the only way i can get it to start is to sqirt some atf into the spark plug holes and then it fires up pretty quickly. it kills a few bugs but it starts.

i was thinking that it would just need to get up to opp temp and be shut down normaly so it wouldnt flood.

well i started it this way this evening. it wont idle on its own right now so i had the throttle held at about 3k. it sounded good. every so offten it would sputter and drop like 500rpm then pick right back up. things were coming up to temp and i thought it would idle so i brought it down and it coughed out and died. i get out to just to a quick look over things and the header is red. the car was only running for about 8mins. so my first guess is timeing.

currently the CAS is sitting in the center. where is a good starting point and which direction is what?

thanks for the help!

Wes

seckerich
09-14-2010, 09:11 PM
If the car is flooding it is getting a bad signal from one or more sensors. Forgot what year electronics you have. Check connections to the computer. I will assume you pulled the motor with harness intact. Be sure all the connectors are snapped in at the computer. TPS, AFM, Map will make it flood. Drove myself crazy one time with one loose plug. O2 as Chris stated will not make that much difference, maybe 2-5 % mixture max. Check all your grounds as these will really screw with the sensor readings. Let us know what you find.

monsterbronco
09-15-2010, 08:19 AM
its a 91 with all stock wiring.

i will check all of the connections again.

thanks

C. Ludwig
09-15-2010, 10:53 AM
What's the compression? Sure it's fuel on the plugs and not water?

monsterbronco
09-15-2010, 07:48 PM
well turns out the idiot who put the motor in *cough* neglected to set the timeing. yeah it was way way off. fires up pretty easily now... well chaulk that up to another lesson learned.

atleast it runs again:026: