PDA

View Full Version : crazy thought

karter74
09-08-2010, 06:25 PM
I know I should have thought about this when I put the car together but I really wanted to run a VR6. I am glad I did. It has been fun.

Who knows what would be involved with switching my mk3 vr6 car to a 2.0? I don't mean swap wise. I can figure that out. I mean to make it a ITB legal car. I want to be able to race against people and ITS is not the place.

Motor, transmission, front brakes, anything else?

Sandro
09-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Think the rear beam might be different, along with the whole front knuckles, but don't quote me.

The easiest think would probably be to find a 2.0 shell that is ugly and cheap and just swap everything into your shell.

karter74
09-08-2010, 10:05 PM
The front knuckles are different. just remembered that. good news is I could then buy all the cool parts that are out there.

I am not sure about the rear beam. I know the 4cyl GTI have the same brakes but are 4-lug.

Kind of what I was thinking. That or finding a guy with a 2.0 street car that wants a vr.

Knestis
09-08-2010, 11:09 PM
I don't *think* that the rear beam itself is different. I think you've pretty much covered the differences here. Shifter assembly is probably different. Gauge cluster? Don't know about the subframe. Get in touch with Cameron at RennGruppe Motorsports and he can tell you for sure...

http://www.renngruppe.com/contact

K

Flyinglizard
09-09-2010, 07:47 PM
K frame, control arms, axles, brakes, hub carriers may be usable .
The rear 5 hole disc.
Pretty much anything that rolls or connects to the rolly things.
MM

Bill Miller
09-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Most of the stuff has been covered. Think of lifting the car up and leaving the wheels and anything attached to them (including the engine and trans) on the ground, and then dropping the car down on the equivalent bits from a 2.0.

The rear beam itself may not be different, but you're more than likely going to need a complete 2.0 donor car, so why not just take it all?

Lael Cleland
09-13-2010, 02:52 PM
The ball joints are different... funky angle on the VR6.....