PDA

View Full Version : 2000 & later VR6 GTI?

evanwebb
09-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Just wondering why the Golf 4 GTIs with VR6 are not classified in ITS? I assume it would be very similar to the up to 99.5 listing... Any ITAC guys care to comment?

JoshS
09-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Probably just because no one ever asked. Please submit a request to http://www.crbscca.com, and attach a completed VTS form, which can be found on the same site. We'll be happy to class it.

evanwebb
09-07-2010, 12:34 PM
OK, thanks. It's on my short list of "what's my next car?" so I'll do the request. Where do I get a VTS sheet, and what is the best accepted place to get the information to fill it out with?

rsportvolvo
09-07-2010, 07:15 PM
OK, thanks. It's on my short list of "what's my next car?" so I'll do the request. Where do I get a VTS sheet, and what is the best accepted place to get the information to fill it out with?

The VTS is here:

http://www.scca.com/documents/Club%20Rules/SCCA-VTS-2005.pdf

Since the Factory manual is the governing technical source use that and be prepared to provide PDF's with the VTS so the ITAC can verify your info quicker. If there are any changes/updates you will need VAG documentation stating such. If you plan on running this car now is where the library collection starts.

MMiskoe
09-07-2010, 08:25 PM
I assume these are the 4 valve motors. If so, I mentioned it a couple of years ago, however I thought it would end up in ITR due to its power.

I have an '03 Jetta w/ that motor and its rated at 200hp. Do the math w/ the 1.25 multiplier and the 12.9 for "S" and you end up at 3225 for weight. I know my numbers would need to get some scrubbing, but regardless, the weight would be pretty portly for an S car.

For ITR I'm told the magic # is 11.25 so the weight comes out at 2812. Now the Jetta ran across a truck scale w/ some fuel & a 150# driver at about 3150 (I think, it was a couple of years ago). So I htink it could get down to weight, but will a 2.9l motor really put out 250HP? It is a pretty torquey little bugger.

Let's not turn this into a 10 page banter about what the multipliers & HP/Wt numbers should be.

evanwebb
09-09-2010, 12:37 PM
the 99.5 - 2002 cars are still 12V VR6 as I understand it, some slight improvements were made compared to the earlier cars resulting in about 3-4 additional horsepower, so really quite similar, although I think the torque curve is also flatter. Hence I think it would still be a ITS car at basically the same weight as the cars already classed.