PDA

View Full Version : Clutch??

karter74
09-06-2010, 06:11 PM
I destroyed an aftermarket clutch and am wondering if it is worth putting another one in. Motor is stock trans has clutch style dif. I am almost think a stock one will be kinder to parts. Mine was four puck ACT. Input is appreciated.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/4965016729_4e140242eb_b.jpg

Greg Amy
09-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I am NOT a fan of four-puck clutch discs, especially unsprung ones. they are far too aggressive and far too harsh to driveline components. I firmly believe to this day that the unsprung 4-puck that was in Pablo was a driving reason behind the transaxle failures.

And when it comes down to it, there are VERY few cars in Improved Touring that make the kind of torque that requires that kind of "racing clutch". In my ITA Nissan NX2000 we used a stock (as in, bought it from Nissan) clutch disc and used an aftermarket pressure plate that was rumored to be nothing more than a JDM-model stock part. And each time we removed it for inspection, it was perfectly fine.

Dump the four-puck, call Techtopnics and get a good Sachs "sport" clutch.

loopracing
09-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Been there..done that. I always used Sachs clutches (oem) but the heavy duty ones. The HD ones had double straps locating the PP surface. If i used a standard one with one strap, it was almost guaranteed to break. Running H Prod now with a 4 puck non-sprung disk and welded diff, and never had a clutch failure. The 4 pucks are considerably lighter than the stock sprung ones. You DO have to pay attention when trailering and paddocking, to not shock the clutch when maneuvering around.

Bill Miller
09-06-2010, 09:08 PM
I am NOT a fan of four-puck clutch discs, especially unsprung ones. they are far too aggressive and far too harsh to driveline components. I firmly believe to this day that the unsprung 4-puck that was in Pablo was a driving reason behind the transaxle failures.

And when it comes down to it, there are VERY few cars in Improved Touring that make the kind of torque that requires that kind of "racing clutch". In my ITA Nissan NX2000 we used a stock (as in, bought it from Nissan) clutch disc and used an aftermarket pressure plate that was rumored to be nothing more than a JDM-model stock part. And each time we removed it for inspection, it was perfectly fine.

Dump the four-puck, call Techtopnics and get a good Sachs "sport" clutch.

Could be Greg, considering that 5th gear in those boxes is already fragile because it's too hard. I know ACT makes both a 4-puck and a 6-puck sprung disc as well.

Flyinglizard
09-06-2010, 09:22 PM
I gave up on the Sachs. I now use only LUK PP, and sometimes the disc comes from Discount auto. . Sachs has blown the the straps off and cost too much , IMHO. MM
PS leave it out of gear on the trailer...

karter74
09-06-2010, 10:21 PM
I gave up on the Sachs. I now use only LUK PP, and sometimes the disc comes from Discount auto. . Sachs has blown the the straps off and cost too much , IMHO. MM
PS leave it out of gear on the trailer...

Thanks for the input. I am going to try the LUK. A local guy that was drag racing one had a turbo car with a luk for some time and never really had a problem. When he upped the boost he just went through discs. He stepped up then. I just want the thing to live through the end of the season. Three races...

GTIspirit
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the input. I am going to try the LUK.

What flyinglizard said about LUK pressure plates.

This is what happens to the Sachs pressure plates. Happened to me during a shift while driving on the street.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/clmoore3rd/Transmission/DSCN7296.jpg
Broken straps are somewhat common. So you can step up to their HD/Race pressure plate which has the same inherent design but just thicker straps. :rolleyes:

I too went with a LUK pressure plate, got in an Exedy clutch kit, and noticed that the design is different from the Sachs. So far the LUK unit has held up.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/clmoore3rd/Transmission/DSC_0003.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/clmoore3rd/Transmission/DSC_0004.jpg

shwah
09-08-2010, 12:30 AM
Yeah I only use the pressure plate like that last one that pulls on the straps instead of pushing on them.

I have an unsprung 4 puck disk right now. Went with it for lower weight, but have considered going sprung next time around. I did eat one 5th gear a little while back...