PDA

View Full Version : 28 ITB cars qualified at Summit thIs weekend... Maybe it's not time to build an ITA

RSTPerformance
09-04-2010, 02:48 PM
So I have been toying with the idea of retiring the Audi (fustrated with it) and building an ITA car but from what I heard 28 ITB cars are racing at Summit this weekend... Hummm. The class seems very healthy!

Raymond " what to do" Blethen

RHallRacing
09-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Itd be great to get similar numbers for the NARRC's. Doesnt look like I'll be running in B but the car will be there....... Hoping to make a guest appearance in IT-7 though. Im looking forward to B next year with maybe a sister car.

We might have to take a trip or two down to Summit next season

erlrich
09-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Considering where I live (mid-Atlantic), if I were building a car now I would build either ITR (if I had the $$$) or ITB, which is partly why I started the "Best car not being raced in ITB" thread. ITA is down to 2 legitimate top tier cars, ITS seems to be recovering a little from the damage the 325 did, but it's still not as healthy here as it could be (although it seems to be doing better in the southeast), and ITC is on life support.

Conover
09-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Today's ITB race was a heck of a race too, very competitive, new track record set by a little honda. The ITB race was THE race to watch in my opinion. :happy204:

Andy Bettencourt
09-04-2010, 11:36 PM
That is an amazing turnout. Congrats ITBers!

924Guy
09-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Is there even any point putting in the effort to build a new car unless you can be fairly sure you'll enjoy it?

You do seem pretty frustrated by the Audi's situation in B; would you build a different B car, or a fresh take on the Audi?

After all, doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

Which is why I bailed on building an ITR car and went DSR instead. Which is a different (if not distinguishable) form of insanity. ;)

tom91ita
09-05-2010, 01:46 PM
how did this many itb cars happen to be here this weekend? was it planned or was it series points race?

i was thinking about going to road atlanta next year for the ARRC but would be interested in driving 400 miles less roundtrip (585 each way vs. 786) and being in a larger field if this is likely to happen next year.

it sounds great.

and it is another track i have never set eyes on so that would be fun as well.

Simon T.
09-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Wow that's a good number of entries!

StephF
09-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Yay! Go ITB! :happy204:
It would be nice to see numbers coming back up across the board again. Much more fun to run with full fields!

Steven McWilliams Jr
09-05-2010, 09:12 PM
ITB usually has the best race at Summit. The field is about high twenty to low 30s in ITB which runs with ITS. (~20 are ITB cars) so there is a good showing in the region. ITA is really competitive,after 2 or 3 fully built ITA Miata's go by, the battle from 3rd-10th is full of Integras, Civics/CRX,240s,ect. so it's also entertaining. Build what you want to, but I think either ITA or B is a good choice if youre coming to Summit. Congrats to the record setter!

924Guy
09-06-2010, 07:32 AM
i was thinking about going to road atlanta next year for the ARRC but would be interested in driving 400 miles less roundtrip (585 each way vs. 786) and being in a larger field if this is likely to happen next year.

it sounds great.

and it is another track i have never set eyes on so that would be fun as well.

You just need to make it happen, dude! It's always worth it! Went in '07 and '08, and though it's a hella-long trip, the track's worth it. Yeah, Mid-O's great, I do enjoy it, but I like Road Atlanta at the ARRC more! REAL elevation change!

RSTPerformance
09-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Vaughan-

I am fustrated with my Audi more than the classification isses... If I was building a B car it would definatly be an Audi. I enjoy the cars from the wierd handling, unique style, and the sound they make wide open!!! Besides the black cloud that has surounded my car with mechanical failures our cars have 10 hard years of racing and are getting tired. My brother is building an ITR car and I can't afford that right now... However a can't help but think about trying something different. My heads all messed up now though after spending the weekend with a friend on a lake speeding around in a boat... That would be a fun new toy for the family!! In the end I think I will try to get another seaso. Out of the old Audi and see where things fall :)

Raymond

chewy8000
09-07-2010, 10:21 AM
This past weekend was an amazing turn out of B cars. There was alot of discussion around turning this into an ITB championship race and bringing in sponsors etc... With Dave Gran from the North coming down last year I think it inspired a few others to make the trip this year which certainly bumped the field up. Jeff Underwood destroyed my lap record from last year with a 1:28.19!!!! Dude is an amazing driver and can peddle that Honda fast. We went back and forth all weekend with a 1st for me on Saturday then Jeff took the win on Sunday and I closed the deal on Monday for the twenty lap race when he missed a few shifts. Looks like we will have to hash it out at the ARRC this year. :)

gran racing
09-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Ray, I admit to being biased here but it doesn't sound like ITB vs. ITA is your issue, it's the frustrations with running the car you have right now. Both ITA and ITB in the N.E. where you'd be running are IMO the two best IT classes to run in hands down. Although I can't say that an ITA Miata would be tempting if I actually had any money and didn't mind driving something everyone else is.

I went down to the Summit Labor Day back with my lude was in ITA several years ago and it is a special event as well as fun track. This year I debated between the ARRC and Labor Day, and chose Summit for various reasons. (Tow, fun factor, along with other reasons.) The competition this weekend....I was running below last years lap record and still finished 3rd in two races, one of which was another battle of between 3rd and 4th until she got a punt from someone else to end that for us. So at least four ITB cars under the lap record. Wow. There were plenty of other fast and great drivers at the event. Then add in how nice and helpful everyone is?

Tristian also proved that it's not all about the fastest lap time. That really impressed me Tristian you were able to get two wins out of the weekend, although on Monday I thought I had a good shot until the battery died. Awesome job and enjoyed running with you, although want revenge. Bring that Golf to LRP for the Oct. NARRC. :D

steve b
09-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Just when us mid-packers start thinking that we're getting a little competitive, all you fast guys raise the bar.

Unfortunately, my in-car had a good view of most of the field (while pointing forward) at the start.
http://www.vimeo.com/14769947
I highly recommend attending an ITB race at Summit if you get the chance. There will be someone to race no matter where your lap times fall. I think 13 cars has been our smallest field this season.

And even though the economy has hurt the entry numbers a little this season, the Labor Day event broke that trend and came in right around last years numbers (ITB was even a little higher)

Bill Miller
09-07-2010, 01:29 PM
I miss the ITB races at Summit, they were always good!

Congrats to everyone, and all I can say is WOW, 1:28.2!!!

Gregg
09-07-2010, 01:49 PM
We had a good-sized ITA field as well w/ over 20 cars all weekend. A certain 1.8 Miata dropped the track record once again--from 1:25.073 to 1:24.736. That now bests Ed York's ITS record (set w/ a pre-ITR E36 Bimmer) of 1:24.886.

It was a wonderful weekend of racing across the board w/ approximately 300 entries.

steve b
09-07-2010, 01:56 PM
We had a good-sized ITA field as well w/ over 20 cars all weekend. A certain 1.8 Miata dropped the track record once again--from 1:25.073 to 1:24.736. That now bests Ed York's ITS record (set w/ a pre-ITR E36 Bimmer) of 1:24.886.

It was a wonderful weekend of racing across the board w/ approximately 300 entries.

Hopefully someone got a picture of said Miata going down the chute on the first lap in what appeared to be a 100 mph drift. The entire crowd in the bleacher let out a collective gasp. It was truely the most impressive thing I've ever seen at summit point.

erlrich
09-07-2010, 02:00 PM
For those who weren't there, I've posted a few pics of the ITB action from this weekend here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/earlr/sets/72157624772778427/show/). I have many more to post, I just wanted to get these up to verify the great racing this weekend was not an overstatement.

RacerBill
09-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the pics, Earl. Makes me start thinking about it for next year.

chewy8000
09-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Tristian also proved that it's not all about the fastest lap time. That really impressed me Tristian you were able to get two wins out of the weekend, although on Monday I thought I had a good shot until the battery died. Awesome job and enjoyed running with you, although want revenge. Bring that Golf to LRP for the Oct. NARRC. :D

Thanks Dave that compliment really means alot! More people should understand you don't have to be the fastest guy to win races. I wish you weren't so plagued with mechanical issues you were definately in position to win that race and impressive when you edged out Underwood. I could tell you wanted Mondays event bad and saw it in your driving. If I decide not to do the ARRC I will definately try and come up for LRP.

ROWDY PRICE
09-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Hopefully someone got a picture of said Miata going down the chute on the first lap in what appeared to be a 100 mph drift. The entire crowd in the bleacher let out a collective gasp. It was truely the most impressive thing I've ever seen at summit point.

I thank everyone that helps me in my racing . Bret @ RP Performance, Billy & Rich @ Performance Auto Works. The 124.5 on sunday qual. was a little scary fast. But was too hot in the afternoon to back it up.
I know most of you hate the miata, that being said, its the only car I have ever raced. Running SM & ITA for the last two years has helped me learn what the car wants at any particular time. This along with Bret who has umting years / championships in miatas gives my car it's ability do go fast.
Summit Point has been faster & faster each time we go there, whatever sealer they put down is working! I watched the ITB racing sun/ mon @ T8. & that was awesome !!! the front guys/ gal were close. With anyone of them being able to win. I met Jeff while talking to Tristan ,& he seemed like good dude. Glad to be able to meet more of the IT crowd after converting from SM.

Brian

Oh that T4 on cold tires/low pressure is a little tricky on the first few laps, but I do like to put on a show...

lateapex911
09-07-2010, 05:00 PM
any links to results?

erlrich
09-07-2010, 05:12 PM
any links to results?

Saturday (http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=589229)
Sunday/Monday (http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=590215)

rcc85
09-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the pics, Earl. Makes me start thinking about it for next year.

Bill, you should have been there!! There were two Shelby Chargers and my Daytona. Three Dodges in one race. Can you believe it?:)

Bob Clifton
#05 (or #85) ITB Dodge Daytona

callard
09-07-2010, 06:39 PM
BTW there were 15 IT-S cars in the same race group - lots of good action there also!
:D

SRX-7#27
09-07-2010, 07:34 PM
BTW there were 15 IT-S cars in the same race group - lots of good action there also!

Hey Chuck, great racing with you on Saturday! You sure have a lot of grunt down low in that Porsche, and you certainly know how to wheel it! Thanks again for a good race and the late night beverage.. Had a really good time this weekend both on track and in the paddock. Was absolutely amazed by the number of IT cars in one place, and for the most part everybody played nice. Looking forward to MARRS 11..

gran racing
09-08-2010, 08:05 AM
In-car from Monday's race. I must have accidently pushed the zoom button when turning the camera on. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpAk4tLqadE

ShelbyRacer
09-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Bill, you should have been there!! There were two Shelby Chargers and my Daytona. Three Dodges in one race. Can you believe it?:)

Bob Clifton
#05 (or #85) ITB Dodge Daytona

It was amazing. Wow, two race weekends this year where there was more than one Shelby Charger... Who'da thunk it?

I'll have to upload my Saturday race video. Went from 22nd to 8th in 13 laps... Watching it is almost as fun as driving it was.

The really important thing is that not only did we have a lot of cars, but as many have said, the racing itself was great. Thanks to all that helped make it happen.

Knestis
09-08-2010, 10:56 AM
I for one think it's great that there were so many MOPAR products out there. I've long thought that they were an "underutilized resource" in the class.

K

chewy8000
09-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Dave that video came out awesome! Quite a battle we had up there. Thanks to Cameron Conover and the guys from RennGruppe Motorsports for helping me get my suspension dialed in over the weekend. The car looks much better in the video and not bouncing all over the place. :) No wonder that thing has been a handful...

RexRacer19
09-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Dave that video came out awesome! Quite a battle we had up there.

I agree on both accounts. I had a great time racing up there with you guys...all three days. Wish we could do it again next weekend. :)

chewy8000
09-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Jeff awesome as always I'm really on the fence about making it down to the ARRC. If I have enough time off left I will do my best to get there.

Knestis
09-08-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm about 90% sure for the ARRC.

I have to admit that I've been influenced by the improvements we made over the course of this past weekend, against a couple of the best B cars in the nation. If Cameron's guess about the source of our fuel mixture issues AND the secret-weapon gearbox he's building pan out, I'll have no excuse.

K

RexRacer19
09-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Tristan...you had better find the time, buddy. With all the folks hinting around about coming, it could end up being a really strong field of cars. I think I have decided that it is time to get serious with my car...

chewy8000
09-08-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm about 90% sure for the ARRC.

I have to admit that I've been influenced by the improvements we made over the course of this past weekend, against a couple of the best B cars in the nation. If Cameron's guess about the source of our fuel mixture issues AND the secret-weapon gearbox he's building pan out, I'll have no excuse.

K

Kirk I was really impressed with you stepping out of your enduro shoes and sprinting that thing. I can almost guarantee your fuel mixture issues are what we discussed. Jeff I think 2 seconds below the summit track record in B is already "serious" with your car. I hope your guy is already building that trans I don't know what I'm going to do if it actually shifts! My car looked like it had afterburners on the start! I kinda felt bad for you, for about a lap... :006:

Knestis
09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
The "secret" to my new 'box will be the spool I got from you. It will have the same "alternate" ratios that i have in the one that's in there now, and the same final drive. I am increasingly happy with gear/rev placement at tracks we visit. I was right at the peak of the torque curve in 3rd in T5 at Summit, used 5th for the last 1/3 of the straight, and (thank goodness) never needed 2nd.

K

Conover
09-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Kirk, you might not realize it yet, but you are actually 100% go on the ARRC, just authorize me some Dyno time between now and then to make sure everything is copacetic, :D.

What a fun weekend, it is totally awesome to see that kind of close racing! Congratulations to the record breakers and winners of the weekend!!

Bill Miller
09-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Great video Dave!! Gotta say, two wide through The Chute is brave, especially on the outside. Nicely done. Hats off to you, Tristan, and Jeff.

StephenB
09-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Dave, you are the most polite driver ever. :) waving to everyone that you passed... except the guys you were duking g it out with :) that race looked like a ton of fun! I really really want to get to the NARRC runoffs now, I even called Raymond to see if he wanted to go to the ARRC... money is an issue but we would love to go back and now that I have a different job I could probably take the time off to go! If the wife wasn't expecting 2 days after the NARRC runoffs I would commit but it will be a last minute decision. :) anyway congratulations to everyone at the labor day event. My brother and I are already planning this as a must attend event for next year!

Stephen

PS: when is the 12hr at VIR? it would be awesome if it was the weekend before or after... then we could make a week long vacation out of it without all the driving back and forth.

Knestis
09-08-2010, 11:16 PM
The VIR 13 is on Halloween weekend...

K

tom91ita
09-09-2010, 07:40 AM
..... My brother and I are already planning this as a must attend event for next year!......

i was thinking the same thing. i did the ARRC the last two years but with 28 cars entering this labor day event, the chances of finding someone as slow as me to race with looks more likely....

gran racing
09-09-2010, 08:11 AM
:) They were being nice by giving room to the leaders passing them while still racing themselves.

In one of the earlier races I got called to the stewards. Corner workers said that I hit someone going up the hill in turn three when I was passing a lapped car. Yes, I tapped him in the bumper going up the hill. The steward just gave an okay and "the other driver didn't realize he got hit and there's no indication of it on his car." I spoke with the driver afterwards and we both got a laugh out of it.

ShelbyRacer
09-09-2010, 08:14 AM
At MidO the Stewards would've given you a pat on the back and a "Good Job" for a tap like that. Not that I'm bitter...

WRXRacer111
09-09-2010, 01:14 PM
In one of the earlier races I got called to the stewards....I spoke with the driver afterwards and we both got a laugh out of it.

Reminds me of when a steward met up with me in impound last summer to discuss contact between me and Marc Cefalo. (we traded the lead almost every lap and ran the whole track side by side at some point... of course we rubbed and nudged here and there, but not enough to be noticable)

"It looked like the 00 car got into you. Do you have any comments on his driving behavior?"

"The driver? Yeah. That guy is GOOD. Really, really good. That's the hardest race I've ever run. I don't know how many times we traded positions, but we were side by side for like 10 laps. I can't find any of his paint on my car, so he must be really good."

"So you don't have any issue with the race today?"

"Nope, I'd do it again right now. That was fun!"

I guess that was a sufficient answer!

Racerlinn
09-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Similar story - myself and another car stopped at the black flag station on pit road, steward (who knows me, I was the RE at the time) and before we can get out of the car asks us about contact between us. I say "Huh, what contact, we were racing hard but never touched". Apparantly the other driver said the exact same thing. He walks around the cars, can't find any opposite car paint, smiles, and says "OK, bye". :)

gran racing
09-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Two women, two guys who like fire and grilling, a toddler that somehow needs more than any of us, and all assoicated camping gear. Oh, racing stuff too. A 7 hour plus tow, very little room inside the tow vehicle equals....a stuffed Prelude! Pictures and article:

http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/blog/labor-day-weekend-at-summit-point-raceway/

Eagle7
09-16-2010, 12:55 PM
All that crap in the car broke your hub. :blink: