PDA

View Full Version : ITR '05 Mustang V6

benspeed
09-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Give it up for Ron Earp! That was a sweet classification - I think this car could do well in ITR with stock 210hp and 240 tq at a 2955 lbs.

Wonder what headers, intake, chip will do for power???

Are the brakes and suspension any good on these cars?

Soooooo Ron - you got one???

Ron Earp
09-03-2010, 11:01 AM
The brakes and suspension are indeed pretty decent on these cars. With the allowable modifications you can make to a rear axle car in IT there is no problem there. And Bill and others seem to make the front work just fine. Heck, they are being professionally race just fine and drivers report the new Mustang GT is every bit as good as some high end Euro trash, despite a "stick axle" and 1/2 the sticker price. :-)

The 05 SOHC V6 can make decent power but probably more importantly it makes the power over a fairly wide RPM (just like the V6 in the earlier cars). Other R cars will have more peak power, but the Mustang mill won't be a slouch. I think I'd give the nod to the OHV 3.8L engine in the earlier, and light car, but this one won't be hurting.

Hard to choose between them. The 99-04 can't make the weight of 26XX with a driver, but can get within 1XX lbs or so if you really go hard at the build and don't weigh much yourself. The 05 will make weight but will realistically end up 1XX or 2XX lbs heavier than the 99-04 in race trim.

I sold my 02 Mustang that I had for ITR. ITS in the SE is so good that it is hard to justify swapping to ITR. I do want to build a Mustang though, so maybe if I hit the jackpot I'll do it anyway. I ain't getting any younger. If someone would offer to buy my Z it'd make the choice a no brainer, but hard for me to put it up for sale with S being strong.