PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Mustang V6 in ITR will it work?

Ron
08-25-2010, 09:53 PM
sitting here wondering if at 2900 lbs the car could have a chance with that motor.

Ron Earp
08-25-2010, 09:55 PM
I sort of figured it might so asked to have it classed. While not an obvious pick for ITR I bet the car has potential, as does the 3.8/3.9 before it.

R

billf
08-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Yeh, I was wondering about that. It has a better rear suspension by far, with a greater chance of making the intended weight (assuming that the classification formula works). The specs I found for it show real, forged (not cracked) connecting rods, and also, a 7.5in rear with a 3.31. I think that is the wrong gear, but we'll see.

Might be interesting! I rfented a '05 V6, and I was VERY impressed with the whole car, including the engine. If I was in the market at the time, I'd buy one in a heart beat!! Drove it up the coast highway in California, to Oregon. What a ball it was.

I'm too committed to the '02 to think of switching now. To many parts already purchased....

Actually, the 3.9 is not legal for us. It was only offered in the '04.

Bill

Ron Earp
08-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Actually, the 3.9 is not legal for us. It was only offered in the '04.

Bill

Wrote a letter about that some months ago. Not sure what happened to it. No matter, the hp/tq are the same, so I can't imagine that it'd end up on different lines although it might land you in hot water at the ARRC.

R

JoshS
08-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Wrote a letter about that some months ago. Not sure what happened to it. No matter, the hp/tq are the same, so I can't imagine that it'd end up on different lines although it might land you in hot water at the ARRC.

R

I looked it up Ron, you had two letters this year regarding V6 Mustangs. The first one, #421, asked us to class the '03-'04 Mustang V6, and that was published in the February Fastrack. The 3.9 is not listed. If we should do that, please write a letter.

Your second letter, regarding the '05 car, was addressed at our July meeting and the results were just published in the September Fastrack this week.

Andy Bettencourt
08-26-2010, 02:54 PM
I would think that if you were going to build a car for ITR that had struts and a solid axle, it would have to make more than process hp to be competitive in that crowd.

Russ Myers
08-26-2010, 03:36 PM
yes, but it's a 3000# tank. nobody will want to get close to you for fear. Hell, even SM's and SRF's will stay away from you.

Russ

Andy Bettencourt
08-26-2010, 03:48 PM
yes, but it's a 3000# tank. nobody will want to get close to you for fear. Hell, even SM's and SRF's will stay away from you.

Russ

Ahhh, but 17 cars in ITR are 3000lbs+ !!!

mossaidis
08-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Sounds like we need ITX - IT Extreme... :)

JeffYoung
08-26-2010, 04:32 PM
ITOverweight.

Russ Myers
08-26-2010, 04:41 PM
and they told me they didn't want the Datsun 280Z in EP because it was too heavy

Russ

RedMisted
08-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Sounds like we need ITX - IT Extreme... :)

Hold on, it's coming... Where, in a few year's time, do we suppose they're gonna put all the 300+ HP V6 Mustangs and Camaros that are currently being manufactured? :D

Ron
08-26-2010, 05:46 PM
i have been running the fox body in ITB for years and it has been great fun (CHEAP) and we have been very quick on certain tracks. I drove an ITS RX7 at Roebling in July and really liked the added speed. The thing that my friends don't get is that I really am a BMW person. I have a 1974 3.0 cs and a 1990 M3. The American Iron is cheap to run, after market support is great and if you ball one up, just find another shell and go at it.

This V-6 ITR car looks fun, if it can make the power. I am sure I could get it to handle, well, ok at least. I just don't know anything about the motor. Might have to look into it.

Andy Bettencourt
08-26-2010, 06:33 PM
i have been running the fox body in ITB for years and it has been great fun (CHEAP) and we have been very quick on certain tracks. I drove an ITS RX7 at Roebling in July and really liked the added speed. The thing that my friends don't get is that I really am a BMW person. I have a 1974 3.0 cs and a 1990 M3. The American Iron is cheap to run, after market support is great and if you ball one up, just find another shell and go at it.

This V-6 ITR car looks fun, if it can make the power. I am sure I could get it to handle, well, ok at least. I just don't know anything about the motor. Might have to look into it.

And in ITB, 'ok' handling is probably decent handling realative to the other stuff that is in there...no?

In ITR you are talking about some world-class machines...

RedMisted
08-26-2010, 06:52 PM

I'm about the only person in the galaxy currently racing one of these cars. It's a '99, so no, I don't have the upgraded suspension and extra bit of power of the '05. But I do have plenty of cheap boneyards parts to pick from.

As for the 3.8 motor, the SN95 car can be built to go very fast, esp. at wide open speed cathedrals like VIR and the NASCAR circuit at Watkins Glen. Class-beating fast? That remains to be seen. But if you're looking for relatively dirt cheap speed, you can't go wrong with the SN95 V6...

Ron
08-26-2010, 10:27 PM
The "new " mustang does have a much better suspension. I was talking with a couple of Grand Am teams about getting them to turn and they had nice things to say about the car. No it does not handle like the BMWs but they do ok. That is why I question the power. My Mustang does ok in the handling department, however, we win the power match.

mossaidis
08-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Timing is interesting. I went to college with Dean Martin from Rehagan Racing. Let me repost from his FB wall... 2011 M3 vs 2011 v8 Stang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwSPccbzl4

JLawton
08-27-2010, 05:55 AM
Timing is interesting. I went to college with Dean Martin from Rehagan Racing. Let me repost from his FB wall... 2011 M3 vs 2011 v8 Stang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwSPccbzl4

Hmmmmmm. Not exactely apples to apples!!

mossaidis
08-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Hold on, it's coming... Where, in a few year's time, do we suppose they're gonna put all the 300+ HP V6 Mustangs and Camaros that are currently being manufactured? :D

or T2 cars or T1... ;) IT rocks.

And why the hell do we need to wait 4 years to class cars again? Cause IT needs to be cheap? LOL! right....

why haven't we classed the older Nissan 350Z or even newer 370Z classed? I see no reason why hell the new Civic Si or Solace still not classed. Why should the guys in SS have all the fun?

Hell, IT provides more fun and cheaper ways to enjoy potentially FASTER newer cars and still be competitive where applicable (i.e. new Ford Fiesta or Honda Fit into ITB). IT has soooo much potential - "better" than WSC or KONI challenge (yeah I said it - KONI!) I say.

mossaidis
08-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Hmmmmmm. Not exactely apples to apples!!

Why not? I certainly can think of a few reasons.... who the hell "sponsored" the article (i.e. bias)? where tires choices the same? were alignment settings optimized along with tire pressures? same track conditions through out the day? how many laps did it take get the fastest times for each cars? Were they those the fastest times?

Or did I miss your point and you're saying that the video does NOT apply to this thread?

Mickey

JoshS
08-27-2010, 05:11 PM
why haven't we classed the older Nissan 350Z or even newer 370Z classed?

Too fast for ITR, sorry. They'd have to carry so much ballast it doesn't make sense. Those will have to wait for a faster class.

I see no reason why hell the new Civic Si or Solace still not classed. Why should the guys in SS have all the fun?

Watch the next Fastrack. Those were new in '06 and so will be in IT for 2011 (as well as other new-in-'06 cars, like the MX-5 and Cobalt SS).

We have discussed allowing new (or newer) cars into IT in the last few years. Part of the attraction of SS/T is the manufacturer influence, but part of the attraction of IT is the *lack* of manufacturer influence and the lack of constant fiddling with the weight of the cars. There is a fear that it will be hard to maintain that IT philosophy if we allow new cars in.

mossaidis
08-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Too fast for ITR, sorry. They'd have to carry so much ballast it doesn't make sense. Those will have to wait for a faster class.

ITX!... cough...cough... ;)

Watch the next Fastrack. Those were new in '06 and so will be in IT for 2011 (as well as other new-in-'06 cars, like the MX-5 and Cobalt SS).

That's fantastic! Keep them coming!

We have discussed allowing new (or newer) cars into IT in the last few years. Part of the attraction of SS/T is the manufacturer influence, but part of the attraction of IT is the *lack* of manufacturer influence and the lack of constant fiddling with the weight of the cars. There is a fear that it will be hard to maintain that IT philosophy if we allow new cars in.

Why create barriers for making IT to place to race "anything"! Certainly we can make it attractive for most cars to race with reasonable equity... there is no reason why a Volvo can't go bumper to bumper with a new Fit or Fiesta... none. Prod does it, why can't we? Josh, you know this better than anyone. IT is not cheap anymore... that philosophy for front-runners has already been broken. The best we can do is full up the packs so EVERYONE can have fun regardless of where you at the finish line. If someone chooses to get a new car and pretty it up with all IT mods (spend $$$) or none at all, I say go for it! If our weight equation says that they should reasonable be competitive in their class, GREAT - come race, it should not negatively matter to anyone... the more the merrier! Screw WSC, screw KONI, screw NASA... and that other sanctioning body that has a two-tier racing class system... gosh I can't remember that club's name...any help anyone? IT is where's it (just no contact PLEASE!)