PDA

View Full Version : NJMP Thunderbolt

Greg Amy
08-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Remember Marc Cefalo's nice drive at the Pro IT at Thunderbolt last weekend (http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28186), resulting in a new Miata...errr...ITA lap record of 1:35.458?

Wave buh-bye.

Jeff Lawton just called me; Brian Price (ITA Miata) qualified at a 1:33.8. Ed York (ITA Miata) qualified at a 1.34."something", and Lawton is third with a 1:36.1xx.

Gregg
08-21-2010, 12:59 PM
And I can't say I'm surprised at all.

God, we've gotta get Rowdy (Brian) down to the ARRC.

gran racing
08-21-2010, 01:36 PM
They have to do it in the race to count though. Anything could happen then. Lower times?

Andy Bettencourt
08-21-2010, 02:48 PM
The track is only a couple years old Greg, geez. SM's are running in the 1:36's.

erlrich
08-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Remember Marc Cefalo's nice drive at the Pro IT at Thunderbolt last weekend (http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28186), resulting in a new Miata...errr...ITA lap record of 1:35.458?

Wave buh-bye.

Jeff Lawton just called me; Brian Price (ITA Miata) qualified at a 1:33.8. Ed York (ITA Miata) qualified at a 1.34."something", and Lawton is third with a 1:36.1xx.

So... just what are you trying to say???? Oh, wait, I know - Brian is just too damned fast for ITA, right???? ;)

tnord
08-21-2010, 04:37 PM

did you even watch the video? i don't know what lap was the fastest, but anyone could recognize that the setup/driving style was NOT the fastest way around.

try singing a new song for once greg. that or STFU and actually build/drive another car you say you can kick everyone's butt with.

Andy Bettencourt
08-21-2010, 04:39 PM
So... just what are you trying to say???? Oh, wait, I know - Brian is just too damned fast for ITA, right???? ;)

We need him out. LOL. ITS Miata? :eclipsee_steering:

JLawton
08-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Wow, you guys are being a "little" sensitive, eh? It seems Greg was only reporting facts to me.......... You guys are worse than my ex-wife..........

Race:
Brian - 1:34.4
Ed York - 1:35.75
Me - 1:35.60

gran racing
08-21-2010, 06:12 PM
In all fairness Jeff, "in a new Miata...errr...ITA lap record" might cause some to think more than the facts are being reported.

Would also be interesting to see one of the fast CRXs at that track. Have either of the Moslers been there? Seems like a good track for that or a Miata. I know, I know. Every track is a good Miata track. :)

Andy Bettencourt
08-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Jeff, Greg only reports Miata records for some reason. Never when Dave sets one in the Prelude etc. It's all part of the show and we all get it. It's ok, really!

That track REALLY looks like a handling track. I know it has a huge straight but sheesh, those decreasing radius turns...over 200 degrees in some spots per the data. Congrats for finding some time and running a faster lap than York, he can wheel it. I wouldn't want to be running the tires off a FWD car there, looks like they would take a beating.

Go get 'em!

seckerich
08-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Wow, you guys are being a "little" sensitive, eh? It seems Greg was only reporting facts to me.......... You guys are worse than my ex-wife..........

Race:
Brian - 1:34.4
Ed York - 1:35.75
Me - 1:35.60

So did you get to try anything new this weekend??

Greg Amy
08-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Jeff, Greg only reports Miata records for some reason.
:smilie_pokal:

I love it when you sensitive little petunias get your Miata pink panties all in a wad...'specially you, Travis; I know you hang on my every word and opinion...as for building "another" car that I can kick everyone's ass with...how about you do, well, "one"? You might try a Miata, I hear they're pretty competitive in ITA...just sayin...

You guys are fun to get all riled up, but you might try making it difficult once in a while... :lol:

dpc
08-22-2010, 10:24 AM
So who's is bigger....and the end of the season is almost here.....dave

tnord
08-22-2010, 02:09 PM
since you're so great and wonderful greg, why don't you remind us how much power that SR20DE made, and how much more weight that car SHOULD'VE been carrying.

careful at the runoffs. there's a few miatas registered and i'd hate to see you plow into one again.

Gregg
08-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Don't worry, Travis. That's what I'm gonna be there for. :eclipsee_steering:

Greg Amy
08-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Don't worry, Travis. That's what I'm gonna be there for. :eclipsee_steering:

LOL! Oh, yeah, Wisonsin's gonna be fun all right!

The cool thing, though, Trav, is that I proudly admit that I was intelligent/smart enough to think strategically years in advance to develop a great car for the class, and then tactically take advantage of that planning to win a championship. I'm - understandably - quite proud of that accomplishment.

You, on the other hand? Except for that "stumbling into the right car" part (you keep telling us it wasn't a prescient decision, and that the 1.8L Miata is classified perfectly for the class), and never challenging yourself beyond your own "small pond" backyard, yet doin' that Internet smack talk like you've actually accomplished anything in Club racing and have some resemblance of reasonable, relevant experience to bear on any subject motorsports-related, how's that "championship thing" workin' out for you vis-a-vis your 'do it again or STFU' comment...?

Hey - again - just askin'... :shrug:

I'll allow for the possibility that I'm way off base and you own a Koenigsegg or a Porsche GT-2, and can really, really, really drive "flat out". If that's the case, seriously, mea culpa, bro...

tGA

P.S. BTW, according to a voice message from Jeff, it rained most of the day at Thunderbolt, and the track was partially dry, partially wet during the ITA race. Brian Price "checked out" for the win, Ed was second for a while before an "off" mistake allowed Jeff by for a decisive second place. I'm guessing no more lap records today (oops, sorry: I'm not supposed to "report" a LACK of ITA lap records, so scratch that last sentence...)

tnord
08-22-2010, 07:01 PM
i don't think i've ever claimed to be anything other than a regular dude in the racing world? i was at the ARRC last year, and i'm going to try and go again this year? i'd be happy to attend every IT Fest, ARRC, or whatever with all the frontrunners if someone would pay my tow bill to get there.

JLawton
08-23-2010, 08:28 AM

Yes I did, thankyouverymuch!! :D

First time at the track and ran a 1/10th off Cefelo's record. Yup, something was workin' good!! I'll shoot you an e-mail with details.

It rained right up until our race yesterday. THe top three of us when on dries, everyone else I think went out on wets. I think we all lapped the field. Times were about a second off the previous day.

Scariest moments: Come up on three SSB Camero's, running nose to tail on street tires (for rains?) and trying to get by them. Had to do it TWICE.

chewy8000
08-23-2010, 10:53 AM
I have to say Jeff's Saturn was pretty damn impressive on Sat. to watch in the dry. With lap traffic both Lawton and York weren't far off from Price and seemed to be reeling him in towards the end.

Sunday was quite a mess with the on and off rain. The lowest moment was the back marker ITS 300zx sending the 1st place ITB car in turn two only two laps into the race. Destroyed the whole side of the car, no reason to be sticking your nose in the middle of the ITB leaders when your running in the back of ITS. Another reason I love ITS - ITB split starts at Summit Point. We know the guy so I'll give him that it must have been a brain fart, but still needs to come and talk to the B driver atleast... :shrug:

mossaidis
08-23-2010, 12:22 PM
What's better than taking the day off and slipping my triple espresso while watching day-time soap operas on Univision when I don't understand spanish? it.com We should have a new slogan "Improvedtouring.com, better than UNIVISON" - I find that funny :) Anyways, good to hear that records were broken and that we're able to get some details of the action when we're not there. I wish I was there to watch and help out*. I ended up heading to NJMP two weekends ago (for the first time myself) to crew for a close BMWCCA driver/friend of mine, Jesse Clark, and also watch a little of the ProIT when Marc broke the ITA record. Interesting track with lots of turns, but not much in elevation changes on Thunderbolt unlike Lighting.

- Can't blame Greg for his comments
- Sad to see that Andy is not out there tearing it up with the rest of the them in the northeast
- Happy to see that a Jeff, a good driver in a fwd, could keep up with 'them' at NJMP. There's still some slim chance for me :)
- Sorry that there was ANY contact... that's just not appropriate
- Happy Monday to all those whiners..."just sayin'" ;)

* "Building for next year",
Mickey

seckerich
08-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Yes I did, thankyouverymuch!! :D

First time at the track and ran a 1/10th off Cefelo's record. Yup, something was workin' good!! I'll shoot you an e-mail with details.

It rained right up until our race yesterday. THe top three of us when on dries, everyone else I think went out on wets. I think we all lapped the field. Times were about a second off the previous day.

Scariest moments: Come up on three SSB Camero's, running nose to tail on street tires (for rains?) and trying to get by them. Had to do it TWICE.

Glad it worked out for you. Looking forward to a full report.:023:

ROWDY PRICE
08-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Well the weekend did go good for all the RP Performance, Performance Auto Works drivers. It really takes a team effort to run at the front. The car that we built worked good @ this track & with a few setup changes was spot on.

& Jeff thanks for the freindly hand signals in impound all weekend , LOL :)

Andy Bettencourt
08-23-2010, 10:34 PM
The cool thing, though, Trav, is that I proudly admit that I was intelligent/smart enough to think strategically years in advance to develop a great car for the class, and then tactically take advantage of that planning to win a championship. I'm - understandably - quite proud of that accomplishment.

Is that how it went? I could have sworn that you tried to develop the car for ITS, decided it wasn't the right car after some effort and shelved it while you moved to a Spec Miata project. Then the CRB reclassed the NX and you then restarted your development. Did you in fact 'stumble upon the right car' in your own back yard?

I think Travis' point is that it will be fun to watch you race in a class where everyone has similar equipment should you build an ITA Miata. If Jeff builds one too then NER could really heat up with Funk, Klavna, Cefalo, Branscome, etc.

Andy Bettencourt
08-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Congrats to Jeff for running within a 10th of the track record his first time at the track. Very impressive!!!

I hope to have a new motor in for the NARRCoffs. Then Jake can take the car to the ARRC.

gran racing
08-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Jake just got the biggest wood. LOL

JLawton
08-24-2010, 06:48 AM
& Jeff thanks for the freindly hand signals in impound all weekend , LOL :)

It was my pleasure! :D

Do you happen to have Ed York's contact info? I've got some great video of him.

Also, did they take pictures of the podium? Unfortunately my "photographers" dropped the ball! :(

Greg Amy
08-24-2010, 07:37 AM
Is that how it went? I could have sworn...
You would have sworn wrong.

I never thought the NX2000 would be competitive in ITS. Never, ever. In fact, I resisted even starting to build it for a couple of years after numerous requests to SCCA to move it to ITA with its obvious competition, the Acura Integra; all requests were rejected, from 2000-2003. But it seemed apparent that the car would eventually go there, so I took the chances that over time SCCA would come to its senses.

And, of course, I was eventually proven right, though in the end surprisingly.

All the historical details - of which you are quite familiar - are on my web site at http:///www.kakashiracing.com (select "Archives"), but the truth is that I began building the car with the expectation that it would/should be moved to ITA. Witness, Bettencourt, the IT2 initiative of circa 2003 (http://www.it2.evaluand.com/intro.php3).

But in 2004 I gave up in frustration. I decided in late 2003 that because of many short-sighted people in the decision-making positions (well-documented on this forum) stating that the car would "never" go to ITA that I chose to abandon the project (http://www.kakashiracing.com/2004.html), and to build a 1.8L NA Spec Miata. Thus in January 2004 I did exactly that: I purchased a 1994 Miata and built it for SM (http://www.kakashiracing.com/forsale/sm.html).

Later that same summer, just as I was finishing up the Spec Miata, SCCA relented and announced it would move the NX2000 and SE-R to ITA. So I again changed tactics, sold the running SM project to Tony Senese, and re-focused my attention on the NX. Unfortunately, only two weeks later (while I was on vacation in California; I remember the call well, standing on the balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean) I got a call from Jake Gulick telling me the 1.8L Miata was also being moved to ITA, but at 2380#, over 100 pounds lighter than the NX/SER, and 200# lighter than the Integra! I was floored. I told Jake at that very moment that I had all of maybe two years to make that NX competitive before the Miata began to pretty much wipe up all the competition in ITA, and I predicted that it would be the dominant car in ITA for years to come.

And, of course, I was right. Frankly, the only surprise about all this is that it has taken this long.

So, Andrew, before you go off spouting, you might read my web site again for reference. Or maybe ask me...?

I think Travis' point is...I think Travis' point is moot. I place no value on his opinions or what he has to say. All he does is tear people down from behind his keyboard, protected by the Internet, arguing with people who have actually accomplished something in racing to "STFU".

...it will be fun to watch you race in a class where everyone has similar equipment should you build an ITA Miata.It won't ever happen. I know what it takes to build a competitive car ($$$) and I am no longer willing to make that "investment"; I'm enjoying way too much having a positive balance on my checking account and a negative one on my credit cards (your sitting out a year will help you understand that revelation, Andy).

Further, as you well know I'm not a "me too" type of guy, preferring to work with something other than what the crowd does, and in ITA that attitude/desire is a Sisyphean task. We gave serious consideration to building an ITA Integra - in fact, we have/had all the parts and Kessler started an engine build for us (http://shop.ebay.com/kakashiracing/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25) - but when 2009 requests for adjustment of the weights on the Integra and the Miata were both rejected I recognized spending that money on that car is absolutely pointless and very likely frustrating. I chose, instead, to focus on other goals for racing (e.g., tracks and events I've yet to attend) and have fun in other ponds...

I have lost interest in investing in a long-term racing effort in ITA. That's just the way I see it. I recognize you don't agree with it.

GA

ROWDY PRICE
08-24-2010, 08:16 AM
It was my pleasure! :D

All in good fun :D

Do you happen to have Ed York's contact info? I've got some great video of him.

Also, did they take pictures of the podium? Unfortunately my "photographers" dropped the ball! :(

Yes my wife has pics of the podium, I'll E-Mail them to you as soon as I get them from her. I don't have Ed's cont. info.

JLawton
08-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Awesome!! Thanks!
You cand send them to
Jlawton at echn dot org

Dano77
08-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Greg, You should buy Jakes RX7,sell the 13 inch wheels to make the money back,Get some 15 in Konig Rewinds,talk to Dave and I and get a set of Nitto NT-01's(you'll only need 1 set for the year)and come have fun with us. Positive checkbook balance,negative credit card balance,and we are actually racing alot on the cheap.

Just Sayin'

Ill even give you the motor or is Jakes back tgether?

Marcus Miller
08-24-2010, 10:15 AM
<snip>
It won't ever happen. I know what it takes to build a competitive car ($$$) and I am no longer willing to make that "investment"; I'm enjoying way too much having a positive balance on my checking account and a negative one on my credit cards <snip>
GA

This is soooooooo true.

Andy Bettencourt
08-24-2010, 02:47 PM
I actually read your history before I posted. Lol. Lots of "facts" you write below can only be found 'between' the lines.

Either way, many of us are with you in the 'ain't gonna build and develop another car' category. So much money for so little reward.

You would have sworn wrong.

I never thought the NX2000 would be competitive in ITS. Never, ever. In fact, I resisted even starting to build it for a couple of years after numerous requests to SCCA to move it to ITA with its obvious competition, the Acura Integra; all requests were rejected, from 2000-2003. But it seemed apparent that the car would eventually go there, so I took the chances that over time SCCA would come to its senses.

And, of course, I was eventually proven right, though in the end surprisingly.

All the historical details - of which you are quite familiar - are on my web site at http:///www.kakashiracing.com (select "Archives"), but the truth is that I began building the car with the expectation that it would/should be moved to ITA. Witness, Bettencourt, the IT2 initiative of circa 2003 (http://www.it2.evaluand.com/intro.php3).

But in 2004 I gave up in frustration. I decided in late 2003 that because of many short-sighted people in the decision-making positions (well-documented on this forum) stating that the car would "never" go to ITA that I chose to abandon the project (http://www.kakashiracing.com/2004.html), and to build a 1.8L NA Spec Miata. Thus in January 2004 I did exactly that: I purchased a 1994 Miata and built it for SM (http://www.kakashiracing.com/forsale/sm.html).

Later that same summer, just as I was finishing up the Spec Miata, SCCA relented and announced it would move the NX2000 and SE-R to ITA. So I again changed tactics, sold the running SM project to Tony Senese, and re-focused my attention on the NX. Unfortunately, only two weeks later (while I was on vacation in California; I remember the call well, standing on the balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean) I got a call from Jake Gulick telling me the 1.8L Miata was also being moved to ITA, but at 2380#, over 100 pounds lighter than the NX/SER, and 200# lighter than the Integra! I was floored. I told Jake at that very moment that I had all of maybe two years to make that NX competitive before the Miata began to pretty much wipe up all the competition in ITA, and I predicted that it would be the dominant car in ITA for years to come.

And, of course, I was right. Frankly, the only surprise about all this is that it has taken this long.

So, Andrew, before you go off spouting, you might read my web site again for reference. Or maybe ask me...?

I think Travis' point is moot. I place no value on his opinions or what he has to say. All he does is tear people down from behind his keyboard, protected by the Internet, arguing with people who have actually accomplished something in racing to "STFU".

It won't ever happen. I know what it takes to build a competitive car ($$$) and I am no longer willing to make that "investment"; I'm enjoying way too much having a positive balance on my checking account and a negative one on my credit cards (your sitting out a year will help you understand that revelation, Andy).

Further, as you well know I'm not a "me too" type of guy, preferring to work with something other than what the crowd does, and in ITA that attitude/desire is a Sisyphean task. We gave serious consideration to building an ITA Integra - in fact, we have/had all the parts and Kessler started an engine build for us (http://shop.ebay.com/kakashiracing/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25) - but when 2009 requests for adjustment of the weights on the Integra and the Miata were both rejected I recognized spending that money on that car is absolutely pointless and very likely frustrating. I chose, instead, to focus on other goals for racing (e.g., tracks and events I've yet to attend) and have fun in other ponds...

I have lost interest in investing in a long-term racing effort in ITA. That's just the way I see it. I recognize you don't agree with it.

GA

JLawton
08-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Video from Saturday's race. Besides Ed and Brian there is a T3 S2000 that was mixin' it with us. Lots of CLOSE racing but not contact!!
http://www.vimeo.com/14407230

Andy Bettencourt
08-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Video from Saturday's race. Besides Ed and Brian there is a T3 S2000 that was mixin' it with us. Lots of CLOSE racing but not contact!!
http://www.vimeo.com/14407230

I seriously want an T3 S2000.

mossaidis
08-24-2010, 09:41 PM
I seriously want an T3 S2000.

http://www.sportscarmag.com/showroom.asp?dp_ad_classification=Touring&fl_ad_classification=Enter+Classification+Here&dp_ad_make=Honda&fl_ad_make=Enter+Make+Here&fl_ad_chassis=All&dp_ad_year=2004&Submit=Search

jcmotorsports
08-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Hey Andy
Do you want to buy mine? T3 S2000's don't get any better or faster than mine. LOL....seriously if you are interested give me a call.

JLawton
08-25-2010, 06:59 AM
Hey Andy
Do you want to buy mine? T3 S2000's don't get any better or faster than mine. LOL....seriously if you are interested give me a call.

Andy,

I'll buy it for you if you promise to put your car in a crusher!! :p

I swear to God when that S2000 went through the Octopus I could see the bottom of his engine through the wheel well!!

Andy Bettencourt
08-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Andy,

I'll buy it for you if you promise to put your car in a crusher!! :p

I swear to God when that S2000 went through the Octopus I could see the bottom of his engine through the wheel well!!

The Miata? Done. Drop me T3 car and I will load the ITA car on your trailer. :)

JLawton
08-26-2010, 07:44 AM

I wanted to public acknowledge Steve for his HUGE help!!

Many of you know I had blown up my Torsen diff in the first test day of the year. As you can imagine I had a tough time finding a replacement Saturn diff. Quaife would make one........ When they got enough orders to do a production run......... We ended up welding it for a temporary solution. I actually like using the welded diff. It took a very different driving style but it was much better than the Torsen (except for getting around in the paddock!!)

Steve, as it turns out, can make a limited slip from a stock diff. He promised me I would love and I would like it better than the welded.......... And he was spot on!! It's got all the good characteristics of the welded, none of the bad and much better than the Torsen!!

Thanks Steve!!!!! :smilie_pokal:

Yes my wife has pics of the podium, I'll E-Mail them to you as soon as I get them from her..

Any luck??

lawtonglenn
08-26-2010, 09:16 AM
ITR, ITS, ITB Results?

seckerich
08-26-2010, 10:53 AM
I wanted to public acknowledge Steve for his HUGE help!!

Many of you know I had blown up my Torsen diff in the first test day of the year. As you can imagine I had a tough time finding a replacement Saturn diff. Quaife would make one........ When they got enough orders to do a production run......... We ended up welding it for a temporary solution. I actually like using the welded diff. It took a very different driving style but it was much better than the Torsen (except for getting around in the paddock!!)

Steve, as it turns out, can make a limited slip from a stock diff. He promised me I would love and I would like it better than the welded.......... And he was spot on!! It's got all the good characteristics of the welded, none of the bad and much better than the Torsen!!

Thanks Steve!!!!! :smilie_pokal:

Any luck??

Appreciate the thunbs up. Didn't want to give away what we did unless you posted.

Terry Hanushek
08-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Glenn

ITR, ITS, ITB Results?

http://www.sjr-scca.org/njmp/results.html

Terry

ROWDY PRICE
08-26-2010, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=JLawton;310838]Video from Saturday's race. Besides Ed and Brian there is a T3 S2000 that was mixin' it with us. Lots of CLOSE racing but not contact!!

Boy.... Ed & I were close on that start. ;)

pic sent also:D

lawtonglenn
08-26-2010, 10:58 PM
thanks Terry