PDA

View Full Version : Racing with SRFs

lawtonglenn
08-19-2010, 09:26 PM

Just got an email saying they consolidated rungroups for this weekend's races at NHMS

was:

Group 1 = STU(5) EP(1) FP(1) GTL(2) SSM(7) = 16 cars

now is:

Group 1 = 0 cars
Group 2 = STU(5) EP(1) FP(1) GTL(2) SPU(1) SRF(6) = 16 cars
Group 7 = SSM(7) ITA(8) IT7(3) ITC(2) SSC(2) T3(1) = 23 cars

so that should make the Group 7 race more fun, with more cars

will it make the Group 2 race more fun? The SRFs run about the same
times(1:14-1:17) so we are likely to be together quite a bit, how difficult do
you think it will be to see them? Where do they go fast? slow?

:shrug:

supersmile
08-19-2010, 11:08 PM
SRF will likely be faster in the corners, slower in the straights.

You'll see them just fine, but be aware they tend to travel in packs.

Also be aware, visibility to the sides is awful so they may not see you all that well!

GKR_17
08-19-2010, 11:15 PM
SRF will likely be faster in the corners, slower in the straights.

You'll see them just fine, but be aware they tend to travel in packs.

Disagree on the visibility. They're not much taller than the bottom of your windows, and can be almost invisible beside you unless you pay close attention. Spec classes also promote aggressive tactics (as we've all seen with SM's). Back in ITS, I scraped paint with more SRF's than miata's, believe it or not they are a lot tougher than they look.

CRallo
08-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Very short in the body drivers or those with the seat mounted very low(as in in the floor for example) may have some issue... You will def pull pretty good on them in the straights, I do in our ITA 240

Dennis Valet
08-20-2010, 02:13 AM
Your car will do a number of a SRF, so just be mindful of how much damage/injury you can cause. A SM T-boning an SRF will not end well.

ner88
08-20-2010, 05:49 AM
with only 4 SRFs entered in their run group they needed to be moved out (more track time for everyone)
The question then becomes where do they go?
They can't run with big bore or open wheel and do you want them with all the Miatas?:shrug:

lawtonglenn
08-20-2010, 09:31 AM

I wasn't complaining Jerry...I was asking for advice on how to best deal with them

Butch Kummer
08-20-2010, 09:32 AM
We ran SRF with SM at a National event back in 2007 or 2008, and I will NEVER do that again. Even though lap times were within two seconds of each other (SRF being faster) and we used a split start, we had a FCY with five laps left (imagine that! - a FCY with SM and SRF on the track :rolleyes:) and mayhem ensued on the restart. Cars that race in packs should not be put with other cars that race in packs.

The only benefit is it kept a majority of the carnage to a single run group.

Ron Earp
08-20-2010, 10:08 AM
I don't like running with SRFs in the IT groups. They are fast where we aren't, turn approximately the same laptimes as lots of IT cars, and, are damn hard to see. They also weigh a good bit and when they hit you they can do damage and move you around.

R

JeffYoung
08-20-2010, 11:01 AM
I totaly agree with Ron, Grafton and Butch. These things (SRFs) are NOT production closed wheel cars. They are open wheel spec cars with fiberglass over the wheels.

quadzjr
08-20-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't like racing with them. Me being an ITB car they know they are faster, and I do my best to let them through. They will dive bomb you into a corner when you think there is no possible way they can pull it off. it is just there cornering and braking ability that catches me off guard.

Also if it starts to rain, watch out.. all of a sudden the cars impressive braking and cornering ability goes out the window but some drivers continue to try. Watching the last SRF from the sebring tower in the rain was very entertaining.

betamotorsports
08-20-2010, 11:34 AM
I raced SRFs in 2003 through 2005 and a couple times we ran with the IT groups. In the SRF I could easily brake two car lengths later for the corners and had more entry and mid-corner speed. Watch out in the braking zones because the SRF in your rear view mirror will most likely be on the inside in the braking zone and you probably won't see him.

Also be careful in the braking zones if you're following a SRF. Don't use the SRF braking points because you'll run right up the back of them. And yes they run in packs and they are trained to not let anyone else cut in. That training will probably override any survival instinct. If you see one, assume at least two are right behind it.

If you can, adjust your side mirrors down a little bit. They are also very quiet from inside a closed body car so don't expect to hear them until they are past you and that flatulent POS exhaust irritates your hearing.

ITS5GB
08-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Here's what can happen when ypou get tired of not having enough straightaway momentum/speed to get past a SRF and finally try to outbrake one in a corner. Really not an EP car. Really an ITS car that was running a second class at Waterford for seat time.
Photos compliments of Edwin Ho.
http://www.ehmotorsports.org/gallery/v/whrri2004/zvssrf/

BTW, no one was injured(physically).

StephF
08-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Try running with 'em at night at Moroso in the 24-hour race. UGH!
After a couple hours in the dark, all of their wire-tied, duct-taped, podunk lights would be pointing all over the place. Must have been a joy for the SRF drivers to have the clouds illuminated instead of the racetrack. Sure looked weird from the our perspective.
All we could see from the IT cars were bobbing, vibrating lights in the mirrors. Light patterns that made no sense, and changed lap to lap on the same car.
You would go to let what looked like one by, only to find there was a string of 8 of them together, running in a train. Some of them were aggressive to the point of stupidity.
Usually took half the race for everyone to get settled and stop plowing each other off into the pucker brush.
After that experience, running in the daylight with them wasn't such a problem as long as you paid attention and looked for the little buggers.

l8tbreakr
08-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Here's what can happen when ypou get tired of not having enough straightaway momentum/speed to get past a SRF and finally try to outbrake one in a corner. Really not an EP car. Really an ITS car that was running a second class at Waterford for seat time.
Photos compliments of Edwin Ho.
BTW, no one was injured(physically).

Yeow - amazing that the SRF driver wasn't injured. Car looks toast.

dave parker
08-22-2010, 06:38 PM
SCCA Spec Racer Fords should NEVER be run with any other class of cars.

The cars are super tough, and the drivers know it. They will take chances that most people will never take. They know that they can make a phone call and get everything that they need to fix their car. The other cars do not matter to them. God forbid that you are ever grouped with them.

The previously posted link of pictures to the SRF and the Z car are pretty telling evidence.
The Z car was probably totalled, while the SRF was ready to race in three days.

Can you tell how I feel about them?
cheers
dave parker

downingracing
08-22-2010, 09:11 PM
I've run with them several times. Just takes heads up driving and understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the cars you are running with. (Something you should be doing with every run group you race with) Comments like "they can make a phone call and replace everything" goes for every class. If you've got the money, fixing everything is just a phone call away... Knowing how another class drives (HP, momentum...) helps everyone co-exist. Drive heads uyp and you'll have a blast! Those things are FUN to watch from behind!

Hotshoe
08-22-2010, 09:29 PM
I don't like running with SRFs in the IT groups. They are fast where we aren't, turn approximately the same laptimes as lots of IT cars, and, are damn hard to see. They also weigh a good bit and when they hit you they can do damage and move you around.

R

.... I agree with Ron. I do not like to run with them. They are hard to see in your mirrors and make speed more through the corners than on the straights. And the drivers are just as aggravated with us as we are with them every time we run together. They are better suited to run with open wheel cars....or with Spec Miata:D

But, if they had bumpers.......:023:

ronin12
08-23-2010, 10:27 AM
well from a non drivers point of view i thought the mixed class race went well, everyone seemed to play well together for the most part. There was a few run ins with the srf's but i think they were in a pack together so it wasn't due to another class. Also found an elbow exhaust tip with SHHHHHH! written on it after sundays races(before lunch) just in case someone lost it :D

betamotorsports
08-23-2010, 11:27 AM
They are better suited to run with open wheel cars....

Been there, done that in an SRF. Ran at Buttonwillow in a Friday open practice with a half-dozen Formula Atlantics. Never again. They has a 25 second per lap speed advantage and the esses at Buttonwillow were insane getting passed on the outside by cars going 40 mph faster then you.

Ron Earp
08-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Mr. Thompson has it right - they don't like racing with us any more than we like racing with them. SM would be a great match for them but I'm sure SM drivers would disagree!

supersmile
08-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Also found an elbow exhaust tip with SHHHHHH! written on it after sundays races(before lunch) just in case someone lost it :D

That belongs to Paul Smith, yellow FB car from Group 8.