PDA

View Full Version : Easy Tranny Install

Campbell
08-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Thought I would share this..

For years when I installed the tranny in my ITB Scirocco I was always schlepping the tranny up on a jack, of course it was always falling off; if I tied it on it was never aligned right. It generally was a real pita. 10 years later and 20 years older (it feels like) I was again schlepping it up, painfully, and I was having issues getting it aligned so the output shaft would go in the clutch. I thought why not put a strap around the tranny and hold it up on the bar across the engine bay I use to hold the engine up. That way I just need to muscle the front around to get it in.

I used a simple 1" cargo strap that has the pull through press down latch - not a ratchett type (not by plan, it was just the first one I grabbed!). I looped it around the tranny just behind the clutch housing part. I lifted the tranny enough on the jack so the top edge could rest against the flywheel.

Gosh, when I pulled on the strap (which just pulls through the press down latch) the tranny just lifted perfectly into place with no effort - I pulled with my right and guided it with my left. It almost felt as though the tranny weighed nothing.

I could not believe how easy it was. I needed to drop the tranny again and I put it back in last night the same way, with the exact same result!! it only took 3 or 4 minutes to lift the tranny up into place - easily and with no drama/cursing!! It took me 10 years of schlepping to figure this out!!

I hope this helps someone else sometime.

joeg
08-13-2010, 01:30 PM
When I had a heavier stress bar, I did the same thing.

jimbbski
08-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Please post some pictures!

bonespec
08-15-2010, 02:05 AM
A tip from a Honda tranny guy........

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/bonespec/Transmission/ghettotrannylift.jpg

sub cutout from local stereo shop.

jimbbski
08-15-2010, 09:54 PM
I am now reminded that when I was racing my Mustang I had to remove the T-5 trans a number of times and also in my street Mustang as well.
I made up a simple frame that bolted to a lug on the back and bottom of the main case and then fit into the bottom two bolt holes at the front of the case. The frame had a pin welded to it that fit into the round hole of my floor jack in place of the jacking pad.

Place jack in the frame, jack it up. get the imput shaft to fit in to the clutch and flush with the back of the bell housing. Install the top two bolts and then lower the jack, Done!

Bill Miller
08-16-2010, 12:24 PM
020 boxes are light enough to 'bench press' if you're by yourself. I've seen guys lay a jack handle across the engine bay and use a tie town to hoist it up, similar to what you described.

Cameron and I have gotten pretty good at swapping 020 boxes under less than ideal conditions. ;) :happy204::smilie_pokal:

Conover
09-08-2010, 05:12 PM
I like to put a hook through that little hole on that tab on the top and attach a chain to the transmission hook that to my engine lift and pull it up with that. It balances pretty nicely from there and works pretty easy. Just a variation on the theme.

jlinfert
09-22-2010, 08:22 AM
020 boxes are light enough to 'bench press' if you're by yourself. I've seen guys lay a jack handle across the engine bay and use a tie town to hoist it up, similar to what you described.

Cameron and I have gotten pretty good at swapping 020 boxes under less than ideal conditions. ;) :happy204::smilie_pokal:
I've bench pressed my share of 020 boxes at the track. Lots of fun in 25* weather! but I've got it down to about 30 minutes.

Lael Cleland
09-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Now we need to figure out how to install a button on the dash ya hit to remove the bolts...... clutch R&I in 10 min!

In my 20s& early 30s I cold bench press it in...now I feel it 2 days after the job.....
Good Idea!!!!!