PDA

View Full Version : Watkins Glenn Info please

steve b
08-13-2010, 09:13 AM
I'm considering going up to Watkins Glenn in September (the fun one I believe it is called).

I took the family up to the Glenn when I first started running HPDEs and successfully disguised it as a family vacation. Back then, we stayed at a motel and I didn't pay much attention to the track ammenities.

Now with a racing budget, I try to avoid motels and stay in my car trailer which has electric, air, and a fold down bed. But since this will be my wife's first time camping at the track, I want to make absolutely sure that the track has electric hook-ups (30 amp or 50 amp plug), and showers/bathrooms that are at least somewhat convenient to the paddock.

Can anyone offer info/pointers?

gran racing
08-13-2010, 09:37 AM
bathrooms, yes. Showers, well....I don't shower if camping there. There's plenty of room for camping and a fire.

Make it fun of them and they'll want to go back. I highly suggest a little hike through the waterfalls of Watkins Glen State Park. During my last trip there several weeks ago, my family went on a boat ride on the finger lake. It was actually pretty neat, and the wife / kid enjoyed it. Also found a neat little tiki bar (for future guy trips) that's on the lake. Then there's the wine trail and some nice restaurants.

Greg Amy and his wife brought us to a neat German food restaurant / winery. A little pricy but not too bad and the food was super yummy. Neat environment too.

StephenB
08-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Showers are fantastic BUT hard to find if you don't remember where they are! To get to them you go outside the infield tunnel turn right and then take your first left. Go about a quarter mile into the distance and they are on the right. Definetly not walking distance but worth the trip!

I would suggest finding them before you take all them along... it took my wife and I 30min to find them... oh and don't look at the track map, those showers listed on the map are temporary showers installed on NASCAR, Rolex, and Indy car weekends only.

Stephen

Dennis Valet
08-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Showers are fantastic BUT hard to find if you don't remember where they are! To get to them you go outside the infield tunnel turn right and then take your first left. Go about a quarter mile into the distance and they are on the right. Definetly not walking distance but worth the trip!

I would suggest finding them before you take all them along... it took my wife and I 30min to find them... oh and don't look at the track map, those showers listed on the map are temporary showers installed on NASCAR, Rolex, and Indy car weekends only.

Stephen

Does anyone know if the showers are free now on a permanent basis? The first time I used them they needed coins, but this summer they were free.

To pile on what's already been said - There are plenty of places to camp that are very close to bathrooms, but I'm not 100% sure about electrical hookups. WGI seems to have the most campers out of all the tracks we go to, so take that however you want it.

tdw6974
08-14-2010, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=Dennis Valet;310222]Does anyone know if the showers are free now on a permanent basis? The first time I used them they needed coins, but this summer they were free.

If the showers were free it is because WGI forgot to turn the collection/coin machine on!! So take your quarters just in case. It seems the elvator to timing and scoreing is intermitant. 96 steps to top. at big rental fees suck. TW

lateapex911
08-15-2010, 01:47 AM
There are hook ups for power in the paddock, but arrive early, because there aren't many. And the showers needed quarters, and lots of them when I was there. They are about a 5 minute drive from the timing tower.

DoubleXL240Z
08-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Castle Grisch is the German restaurant on top of the hill. Worth it! Worth it!
On your way there you should drive the original road course! It is on a few maps, but, if you are there its definitely something you should do. and see the start/finish line on Main Stret