PDA

View Full Version : Best Steering Wheel Quick Release?

Simon T.
08-03-2010, 09:26 PM
I am about to redo my door bars and need a aftermarket wheel with a quick release hub, what do you all think is best? These hubs always scare me so I won't cheap out on buying a cheaply made one off eBay. :p

boywonder
08-03-2010, 11:10 PM
I bought and installed an NRG Quick Release Gen 2.5 earlier this season and love it. Very well built, no slop or play, works flawlessly.

Simon T.
08-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the reply. I've been keeping an eye on those, they don't require welding right? Do they bolt on to your aftermarket hub?

Andy Bettencourt
08-04-2010, 10:12 AM
We use Louis from LTB. Splined, no welding, great stuff.

JohnnyH
08-04-2010, 10:17 AM
I also have an NRG quick release 2.5, picked it up new on ebay. The best part about the NRG is there is only one way for the wheel to attach - straight up/down. There is no potential error with spline misalignment due to the ball bearing design. It bolted right in place of the LTB splined hub that came with my car.

boywonder
08-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the reply. I've been keeping an eye on those, they don't require welding right? Do they bolt on to your aftermarket hub?

Nope, no welding, bolts right on. Not cheap but I couldn't be happier with it.

Wreckerboy
08-04-2010, 11:51 AM
We use Louis from LTB. Splined, no welding, great stuff.

+1, I've had mine in the car for several years now with no complaints. Great customer service at LTB, Louis is (was?) a supporter of the IT race community.

DavidM
08-04-2010, 01:49 PM
I got an LTB one for the new tub. No complaints. Nice tight fit. It is splined, though, so it is possible to put the wheel on a notch off. I installed everything so that there was a bolt hole at the top and used that to line everything up. It'll add about 2.5" in length so keep that in mind. The NRG one looks nice as well, but I wasn't sure about the ball bearing design in a race application.

David

mc-integra111
08-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Anyone have a picture of an LTB bolt-on unit installed? From looking at my car and pictures of the LTB unit, I can't picture how it bolts on. Thanks.

DavidM
08-05-2010, 02:35 PM
It should bolt right on to the steering wheel adapter. The adapter should take the splined stock steering shaft and "convert" it to a six screw pattern for Sparco/OMP steering wheels. I'm using an NRG adapter for the 240sx. If you have a 3-bolt adapter then you either need a 3-to-6 adapter plate or a new steering wheel adapter.

I can take a pic of my setup if you want.

David

rhygin
08-05-2010, 08:16 PM
I think that I have this one with a spacer that I have to make a mess of to get it where I wanted. Product is awesome.

http://www.miatacage.com/steering-shaft-adaptor-splined-with-p-42.html

RacerBill
08-09-2010, 08:58 AM
it should bolt right on to the steering wheel adapter. The adapter should take the splined stock steering shaft and "convert" it to a six screw pattern for sparco/omp steering wheels. I'm using an nrg adapter for the 240sx. If you have a 3-bolt adapter then you either need a 3-to-6 adapter plate or a new steering wheel adapter.

I can take a pic of my setup if you want.

David

+1 :023:

rsportvolvo
08-09-2010, 12:03 PM
This was hashed out previously on this thread:

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25525&highlight=elliptical

Momo branded a.i. tech elleptical quick releases are still available (Momo P/N's: QRWTCC & QRGP2), however the bolt on ones (Momo P/N: QRRALLY) are no longer being offered. Try to find a new old stock (NOS) one or weld the weld-on piece to a bolt on adapter (what I'm doing, got a deal on it). This link has the best pictures of the Momo bolt on:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/momo-rally-quick-release-hub-on-sale-now-t414753.html

As I mention before the steering wheel is a primary driver/car interface so reducing slop or slop potential is well worth the added cost in my book.