PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen Problems (Need HELP)

Weaver7
07-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Well this weekend at the Glen proved to be troublesome. Need some help or advice with some isssues that we are having with our 2nd Gen. :(

1.) The car runs extremley lean between 1500 and 4500 once the secondaries kick in it clears up but then goes way lean around 7500 thus goes flat. The car is an S4 and I know they are known to run on the lean side at the upper end but this seems to be excessive to say the least. Any ideas? The FP is set at 48 and I actually bumped it up to 50 to try and get it more fuel.

2.) Oil pressure...Went out Saturday was pulling around 70 then yesterday during the race I was only managing to get around 50 at high RPM....at Idle it is around 15. The car has a new pump installed so I'm not sure what is going on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bill Weaver
ITS RX7 #63

JohnnyH
07-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Bill, this feels a bit like the blind leading the blind but here is what I came across for low oil pressure symptoms after a rebuild:

Front cover O-ring?: http://www.mazdatrix.com/faq/oring.htm

Oil Thermo Bypass Pellet?: http://fc3spro.com/TECH/HOWTO/OTB/otb.html

Perhaps it could also be some foaming of the oil near the sending unit, you said you were moving to a lighter oil. Else, it could be a bad gauge or old lines. Just throwing ideas out there...I'm certainly no rotary expert as my RX7 is at KDR for a rebuild right now.

Good luck.

seckerich
07-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Are you able to see fuel pressure while on track? Many times the stock pump will hold 50 at idle and drop to less than 30 on track at full speed. Check the filter sock on the stock pump to see if it has collapsed in the tank, very common. Do you run an aftermarket filter or stock Mazda. We have the best luck with fresh stock unit. S4 is always lean on top, and S5 is always rich. Do not overlook the AFM sticking. Since it does it with both primary and secondary it is most likely not injectors. Should pull hard to 8400+.

If the motor is in good shape and you are dropping pressure the front cover O ring and the bypass are the most common causes as mentioned earlier. How light did you go on oil? Most run 20/50. Oil cooler restriction is very common as well and can be checked by removal and cleaning. Ultrasonic is only trusted method. Drop me a pm with your number and I can give you some specific ways to fix the mixture.

Weaver7
07-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks Guys!!

Steve I sent you an E-mail....

John sorry you couldn't make it up this weekend...Hope to see you at NJ in August it appears that we are going to have tons of track time. :eclipsee_steering:

Bill Weaver
ITS RX-7 #63

tdw6974
07-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Do you run an aftermarket filter or stock Mazda. Steve, do believe that it has a wix filter (made in Israel) on car. Looked at my recent filter from Mazda (made in China) Tom Weaver

tdw6974
08-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Look at the Mazdatrix info but seems to show several "wrong" methods I need pictures of the "Right" method Do have the later front cover installed and it looks like Dave lemon is saying not to run a gasket just silicone? Thanks T Weaver

C. Ludwig
08-15-2010, 08:23 AM
The front cover itself has nothing to do with what method is preferred. The front iron will dictate what method is best to retain the o-ring. The aluminum front covers are all the same in regard to this o-ring.

In my experience, the S4 irons (which use just the rubber o-ring) work best without a gasket. Simply install the o-ring and then use a light bead of silicone between the front cover and iron. This is the method described on the Mazdatrix site.

For the S5 iron (which uses the o-ring and the white teflon retainer ring) a gasket is a must. If you do not use one you will crush the teflon ring flat and that will cause the rubber o-ring to be pushed into the oil passage. The best gasket to use is the Cosmo RE gasket which is metal. Part number N390-10-502. I use a light coating of Hylomar on each side of the metal gaskets.

tdw6974
08-26-2010, 09:05 PM
[
In my experience, the S4 irons (which use just the rubber o-ring) work best without a gasket. Simply install the o-ring and then use a light bead of silicone between the front cover and iron. This is the method described on the Mazdatrix site.
Car is back home with above repair applied (after checking measuring to make certain no warpage etc) Pressure at Idle now 95 lbs and an electric fuel pressure gauge installed inside!! We will keep our fingers crossed as the running power problem has been addressed and corrected! TW :):eclipsee_steering:

tdw6974
09-21-2010, 09:53 PM
:smilie_pokal:Had a great weekend (Fun-one) oil presuure problem solved ran very good (now we need to get brakes working(soft pedal) this is a welcome problem that will be fixed this weekend. First full weekend we had run since October pro-it in NJ. Hmm maybe we should go south for winter! :eclipsee_steering: