PDA

View Full Version : ITR S2000 in car video Pro IT Race - WGI

mazdagt3
07-26-2010, 02:08 AM
In car from #00 ITR Honda S2000.

http://vimeo.com/13632102

I was running 2nd in ITR before we lost the hydraulics for the clutch.

The car is for sale and details can be found here:

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28018

ulfelder
07-26-2010, 04:44 AM
Nice start, Marc! I see you ran 3rd gear through Turn 12. How did you like that? Did you ever try running 4th through there?

Steve

Andy Bettencourt
07-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Nice video Marc. I wonder if the T3 guys have any hardtop vs. no hardtop MPH data. We just assumed the HT would produce more.

dj10
07-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Marc, great start! You made it Look like everyone was sleeping. :~)

benspeed
07-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Nice video!!! Those S2000s are seem geared similarly to my 968 - same shift points.

Flatout - congrats on track record!

Somebody buy Marc's car - that is a smoking deal!!!

mazdagt3
07-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Nice video!!! Those S2000s are seem geared similarly to my 968 - same shift points.

Flatout - congrats on track record!

Especially since it's now going to have a new clutch.....

Some setup changes to the rear suspension made a huge difference during the Pro IT.

Now it's time to dust off the ITA Miata as the S2000 will sit until someone wakes up and realizes the Honda is a no brainer.:D

mazdagt3
07-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Nice video Marc. I wonder if the T3 guys have any hardtop vs. no hardtop MPH data. We just assumed the HT would produce more.

After speaking with Nick, the HT was probably worth about 5 mph on the back straight compared to what I was seeing before the chicane.

Nice start, Marc! I see you ran 3rd gear through Turn 12. How did you like that? Did you ever try running 4th through there?

Steve

Yes, tried 4th... no good. maybe with Ben's torque monster you could but not the Honda.

Marc, great start! You made it Look like everyone was sleeping. :~)

Well a big thanks should go out to all the other guys. while we spread out wide on the front straight, all involved knew very well that turn 1 would be tight, we had 45 mins. to race and a bit of patience would go a long way to a clean 1st lap. :023:

benspeed
07-26-2010, 01:25 PM
I was caught sleeping on the start - missed my 2-3 shift and they allllllll blew by.

Steve - I did try 4th a few times into 12 onto the front straight. It worked only if I was about an inch off the wall and then I had great speed down the straight and had to shift for fifth - but it was waaaay too scary to do every lap.

I'll post some video over on the other thread if it converts OK from .mov to .wmf

dj10
07-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Well a big thanks should go out to all the other guys. while we spread out wide on the front straight, all involved knew very well that turn 1 would be tight, we had 45 mins. to race and a bit of patience would go a long way to a clean 1st lap. :023:[/QUOTE]

Very well put Marc! Maybe the "PRO'S" could take a lesson from this. No race is ever won on the 1st lap in the 1st turn.B)

Knestis
07-26-2010, 04:49 PM
... No race is ever won on the 1st lap in the 1st turn.B)

...but Marc demonstrated clearly that sometimes one can get a hell of a lot CLOSER to a win in the first lap. Nicely done.

K

lateapex911
07-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Maybe the "PRO'S" could take a lesson from this. No race is ever won on the 1st lap in the 1st turn.B)

Calling BS on this! Heck the German F1 race was won in the first turn! (ignoring the later manipulations) Races ARE won in the first turn, AND lost. More often, they are lost. But that has to do with the numbers, there's only one winner....

dj10
07-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Maybe the "PRO'S" could take a lesson from this. No race is ever won on the 1st lap in the 1st turn.B)

More often, they are lost. [/QUOTE]

I rest my case. :)

lateapex911
07-29-2010, 03:10 PM
It's statistics Dan, there is only one winner. Races ARE won in the first turn. I can think of many examples. Restarts as well provide opportunities.

benspeed
07-29-2010, 05:09 PM
One thing I'll mention. Over the years I've been very aggresive at trying to jump the start and make some spots and always considered myself good at starts/restarts.
I've not been that aggresive the last two years with the Porsche (sheet metal is hard to find) and it's really hurt the start of races for me. I have to really pick up the pace in the beggining of a race to catch folks.

Improving my starts is a key goal now. And part of that is timing it for a little bit of a jump and not waiting for green.

robits325is
07-29-2010, 08:13 PM
One thing I'll mention. Over the years I've been very aggresive at trying to jump the start and make some spots and always considered myself good at starts/restarts.
I've not been that aggresive the last two years with the Porsche (sheet metal is hard to find) and it's really hurt the start of races for me. I have to really pick up the pace in the beggining of a race to catch folks.

Improving my starts is a key goal now. And part of that is timing it for a little bit of a jump and not waiting for green.

Oh great!! Banzi Ben is back....

dj10
07-29-2010, 10:40 PM
It's statistics Dan, there is only one winner. Races ARE won in the first turn. I can think of many examples. Restarts as well provide opportunities.

As many examples as you can think of I can match. Since there is ONLY one winner there are many more cars that have lose in the 1st turn of the 1st lap of races that have won.B)

benspeed
07-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Oh great!! Banzi Ben is back....

LOL! I gotta make sure I at least can SEE you at the start to have a hope of catching you! :D

mazdagt3
07-30-2010, 09:51 AM

price just got reduced to $13,950!!!!!! does that mean the car is on fire Ben?

No reason to wait fellas, flatout has all ready proven that the car is a winner.:D

check the classified section here:

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28018

tnord
07-30-2010, 10:07 AM
i would offer you my ITA miata in trade, but i think you're already good in that area. :D

ulfelder
07-30-2010, 11:31 AM
No reason to wait fellas, flatout has all ready proven that the car is a winner.:D

I probably shouldn't say this, but:

A. Nick is fine-tuning the spring/shock setup right this minute (because the car was so slow through the corners :blink: ).

B. In textbook race-car development fashion, we worked on handling first, motor last. We need more power - but we can find it.

The point being: these things have mucho potential, and anybody who buys Marc's car should feel free to contact us for info-sharing.

Steve

greg simpson
07-30-2010, 05:48 PM
You proved its a winner with the right driver!

Andy Bettencourt
07-31-2010, 10:27 AM
It certainly handles well. Nick likes a car a little more loose than I do so it's probably perfect for me as it sits. You will notice in the video that the ITS 323 of Driscoll has the power to drive around it from T1 to the bus stop. A few more ponies and it should be a real good car.

Z3_GoCar
07-31-2010, 06:33 PM
It certainly handles well. Nick likes a car a little more loose than I do so it's probably perfect for me as it sits. You will notice in the video that the ITS 323 of Driscoll has the power to drive around it from T1 to the bus stop. A few more ponies and it should be a real good car.

Part of that is areo, he needs a hard-top otherwise he's giving up top speed and acceleration in 5th. When he's between turn 4 and the chacaine in 5th, notice how much harder the car accelerates when he's got someone to draft on.

robits325is
07-31-2010, 10:03 PM

Agreed. Nick lost all speed as soon as he started to climb the hill in 2 & when he shifted to 5th gear. I gave him lots of room - I wasn't going to be the first person to put a scratch on that car! Reminded me of 2004.

Andy Bettencourt
08-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Part of that is areo, he needs a hard-top otherwise he's giving up top speed and acceleration in 5th. When he's between turn 4 and the chacaine in 5th, notice how much harder the car accelerates when he's got someone to draft on.

Our car (the car you can SEE in the video) has a hardtop and is teh car that gets passed by the esteemed Mr. Driscoll, who as always, drove clean and fast.

Z3_GoCar
08-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Our car (the car you can SEE in the video) has a hardtop and is teh car that gets passed by the esteemed Mr. Driscoll, who as always, drove clean and fast.

Sorry,

I was watching the qualifying video. Same thing happens in the race video at ~9:45-10:30 minute mark. That area of the track where Marc looses ground and is almost pasted going into the chaicane, if he didn't out brake (Dr. Rob?) the e-36. The car needs the hardtop to be competitive on any track where 5th gear is used. Hey I've been there having raced without a hardtop for my first year, one either needs to cut the frame off ala Production or mount the hardtop.