PDA

View Full Version : shocks

karter74
07-21-2010, 12:28 PM
I want to get some shocks that can handle a 8-900# spring. I have Koni yellow's right now and they can handle the 600 stuff I have but am looking for something strong. Car is a VR6 mk3. Anybody got anything or can suggest something. I am budget minded and am having problems swollowing the $1500 price tag...

cjb25hs
07-21-2010, 12:41 PM
You can send your yellows back to Koni or Truechoice and have them rebuilt and revalved to handle the higher spring rates. Cost is roughly around $150-$175 each

Bill Miller
07-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Paging Lee Grimes. Paging Lee Grimes. Mr. Grimes to the white courtesy phone please.

Greg Amy
07-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Struts, right? You're going to need to go to Koni 8610/8611. If you're feeling flush then Koni 2817s are hot stuff...

Flyinglizard
07-26-2010, 10:55 AM
I always try to stay with the stock length shocks so that the droop is not affected and the replacement is not a big deal.
I have a set of short Koni Double adj in the ITB car and they are too short. They were free-ish.
The range of travel is at the very lowest of tolerable.
For any class that can not move the lower balljoint , the stock sizes work better than the really short shox and the resulting extreme low ride alt.
If you have a mk 2 or mk 3, you will go faster with my dynamic rear steer setup, This will also allow you to use less front spring. HTH, MM

shwah
07-30-2010, 09:32 AM
while I don't disagree with what you are saying, it is also useful to not make the dampers longer than needed, from a weight management standpoint.

The Ground Control dampers that I use on the front are actually sized for a Rabbit application, and are a bit shorter than the Golf 2 stuff. I have not had issues with lack of droop.

Flyinglizard
07-31-2010, 11:16 AM
The A 1 length is about right.
These Konis are about 2 in shorter. I have the part #s somehwere. Full droop is only 1 in under flat control arms.
The car seems to work OK with them. Testing Fri @ Sebring ...

The Bilstein HD work for 99% of my cars, up to 550# front.
The Mk 3 needs a another 100# usually.

Why would Karter want 800# fronts?? Seems way highIMHO.
The DRS allows less front spring because of less dynamic loading on the outer front tire. Less spring means more grip. The VR6 needs it big time.
Like I said, if you try it and dont go faster, I'll send your 20$ back to you.