PDA

View Full Version : Swapping CRX and Civic rear axles

Steven McWilliams Jr
07-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Hey guys, I have an ITA 1989 Honda Civic Si, unfortunately, the guy who owned the car before me put disc brakes on the rear. My friend who has an 1989 CR-X Si that he also runs in ITA. He has drum brakes and he wants to convert to discs. We're wandering if we can just swap our rear axles. That way he can get his disc brakes, and my car can be legal.

Thanks,
Steven

Gregg
07-01-2010, 07:01 PM
The 90-91 CRX Si had a larger bore master cylinder than the 88-89 CRX Si's and 88-91 Civic Si's to deal with the the rear discs and front calipers with larger pistons.

As for the swap itself, the soft brake lines need to be swapped and the parking brake cables are specific to the disc brake setup.

Both you and Jesse know how to get ahold of me.

Steven McWilliams Jr
07-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks Gregg,

We're taking all of the hardware off of Todd's CRX and putting it on Jesse's so that he has the larger MC that can handle the front calipers and rear discs.(I think it's actually legal because it is moving parts from the same car into a different shell) I assume my rear discs came from a CRX anyway, so it should bolt right up. What are "soft" brake lines? I dont really care about the parking brake, does the GCR say we need it?
Steven

raffaelli
07-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks Gregg,

What are "soft" brake lines?Steven

Rubber lines.

Steven McWilliams Jr
07-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks ,that's what I thought. So do we have to swap the rear axle as well as all the brake lines?

Thanks,
Steven

Gregg
07-02-2010, 08:28 PM
It will be pretty clear once you look at it, but you disconnect the upper (#28/31 below) & lower control arms (#18/21 below) from the trailing arm (#26/27 below) and desconnect the toe link (#15) from the body, but leave it attached to the trailing arm.

You guys do own service manuals, right? http://www.helminc.com

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13sh201_b30.png

Steven McWilliams Jr
07-02-2010, 08:32 PM
OK, I figured it'd be pretty easy once we look at it. and yeah, I have one, Jesse just prints off the pages he needs. We'll be fine I just wanted to make sure that our rear axles DO match up before I tow 2hrs to his house and then we figure out that it doesnt work.

Steven

magic wheels
07-12-2010, 12:35 AM
The CRX it's going to need 90-91 CRX Si emergency brakes cables for the disc brakes, 40/40 proportioning valve and a 15/16 brake master cyl. plus the brakes lines.
The Civic Si it's going to need 89-90-91 Civic emergency brakes cables for the brake drums, plus the brake lines.