PDA

View Full Version : MARRS 5 Report

erlrich
06-27-2010, 08:47 PM
For those who don't patronize the other board:

I'll let some of the participants fill in the details, but there were some excellent races yesterday and today at Summit. As seen from pit lane:

First, our old friend and girlie car driver Rob Myles (aka wreckerboy) did the geezers proud, scoring a 7th place finish in the Saturday SSM sprint race, and a 10th place finish in today's 20 lap feature race, both in hard fought races in very large (30+ car) and competitive fields. WTG dude!

ITB was also very tight both days, with Scott Holman in his Plymouth Arrow edging Tristan Herbert's Golf by .002 seconds for the Saturday win, in a race where the top 4 cars ran nose-to-tail (and door-to-door) for most of the race. The Sunday feature race was just as close, with the top 5 cars running close together for the entire 18 laps. Mark Raspi eventually took the win in his 2002 over Jim Stem's Volvo.

ITA, while not as dramatic at the front, still had some great racing a little further back in the pack. Brian 'Rowdy' Price easily won both races, slightly bettering his previous record in the Saturday 10-lapper, but wasn't happy with that and went out Sunday and ran almost .4 secs faster, posting a best time of....get this.... 1:25.305! Yeah, you heard right - 1:25.3 in an ITA car...

And just to throw a little more gas on the bon fire...wanna guess what 10 of the top 12 finishers in ITA were driving??? Granted, several of our usual top-10 cars weren't running (Gregg G., Spanky, Perera, even yours truly), but still....

That's enough from me - I'll let others fill in the blanks. The results are already up on Mylaps here (http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=555588); kudos to DC Region T&S for getting them up so fast.

Andy Bettencourt
06-27-2010, 08:58 PM
And just to throw a little more gas on the bon fire...wanna guess what 10 of the top 12 finishers in ITA were driving??? Granted, several of our usual top-10 cars weren't running (Greg G., Spanky, Perera, even yours truly), but still.....

That's not gas, that's just double dipping Miata's - just like they do everywhere. When 'real' ITA cars don't show up like you said, it's wide open for underprepped cars...and it makes sense that the largest class at a Regional would be filling your coffers!

It ain't a controversy and it ain't a consipracy. It's just lack of participation by the regulars.

Wreckerboy
06-28-2010, 10:42 AM
I watched the ITA race from the chute, and Price wheels that car like nobody's business. I was hoping to get some pointers on the approach to T5, which has been a sore spot for me. Watching Brian was useless - his skill set is from another planet, and of no value to a mere mortal like me. It's the perfect storm of a well prepped car and a well prepped driver coming together.

dave parker
06-28-2010, 11:10 AM
The MARRS IT groups did not fail to impress this weekend. Lots of hard racing in all of the IT classes.
Did anyone mention how hot it was? I measured the asphalt temp in front of our paddock space yesterday at about 1030 am and it was 126 degrees.
Thanks to the workers who braved the heat and stupidity for us to have our fun.

Great job by Wreckerboy, he is so tough he would eat the boogers out of a deadman's nose. :happy204:

cheers
dave parker

Steven McWilliams Jr
06-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Yeah Brian is crazy. His lap times averaged about .7 seconds faster than an ITS car...anybody want to petition Miata R to ITS? I had a great weekend, I had an awesome battle with Yip on Saturday. I couldn't see his bumper for about 6 laps we were so close. I then had a good battle with Jack Raymond, andn #88, i forget the drivers name on Sunday. we were pretty much connected for about 10 laps (did connect my bumper to his off of T10 once). both in Miatas. Jack and I ran the same time down to the thousandth!! we both had 1.30.710(my car is without ECU tuning on 205s) which is my fastest time yet (2 races) Sorry that I'm bragging, but I am really proud of the time. There was also a good battle a little ways ahead between Bletz, Mark Johnston, Owen Schaffer, and Andrew Johnston until he tried to go faster and it didn't work. Good race all around. Dave, I dont know if you drove this weekend, but the track felt really good, maybe Hyperfest actually laid some rubber down?

ITB was an awsome race. It's cool to see a Volvo and a Plymouth Arrow battling with Tristen in his 3rd gen Golf Gti. That was one of the best battles I've seen. Good weekend all around!

Can't wait for M7!I'm skipping NJMP to get the brakes working

Steven