PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problems

jimalley
06-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Looking for help or device of reliable source to chase down what appears to be electrical problems.

I am in southern NH.

On Saturday at Limerock the car seemed to run ok for seven laps and then died on the front straight. Pulled off at the flag station after turn two. Once the car sat for a few mimutes it started and I drove back to the paddock. Checked the wiring harness at computer and thought I founf the problem with a loose connector.

Went out for the afternoon race and the car ran fine for the pace lap, but when the green came out it shut down before I got to turn one. I coasted and got off after turn two. This time the car would not start and once towed back to the paddock had to push the car onto the trailer.

Unloaded tonight and the car started fine and sounds normal.

Any recommendations?

seckerich
06-22-2010, 10:14 PM
When you say would not start do you mean no power to starter or anything else, or just will not fire? If everything seems to work and it will not fire check the cam sensor.

evanwebb
06-23-2010, 01:25 AM
If the fuel pump is electric, I would suspect that is the problem...

jimalley
06-23-2010, 08:38 PM
How do I check the cam sensor? I did hyave power to everything else, no fire!

rhygin
06-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Hey Jim...
I have been where you are! I would take a very, very close look at the wires into the coil pack and coming out of the Cam/vrank angle sensor. On your 1.8 it is at the back of the head on the driver side. What happened with a friend last year is that the wires frayed a bit and sometimes there would be enough connection and sometimes not. At an initial look... they seemed fine.

The wires can take a pretty sharp turn there and on mine the plastic aroudn the wires was fraying. I made sure the connections were good on mine and "painted" the wires with some "liquid tape" to seal and reinforce the wires and connections.

This is a pretty good bet, but please let me know what you find!
Brad

jimalley
06-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks Brad, I will check them very carefully. I picked up a new Cam Sensor last night and plan to change it out. When I do, I will check all wires and connections.