PDA

View Full Version : Quick release help

BILL
06-22-2010, 09:10 PM
I am installing a grant pinless quick release on my 1982 mustang it seems the shaft is too long to put the wheel back on, am I doing something wrong?

billf
06-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Bill,

I'm confused reading your description.

Are you using the Grant direct replacement for the wheel? Where you simply unbolt the wheel, and place the new splined hub over the Ford steering shaft splines, and bolt it down?

Or, are you using an unsplined hub?

Bill

BILL
06-23-2010, 10:56 AM
using the splined hub,seemed like straight forward install, but shaft too long for wheel to go back on

billf
06-23-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm surprised, since the Grant piece would slip right over the original splines of the ford shaft, and bolt down with the bolt provided in the set. It would not go "too far onto the shaft".

Do you have the "Ford specific unit for the multi-spline early shaft"?
They made both Chevy and Ford, specific to the steering shaft spline.

Bill

BILL
06-23-2010, 07:50 PM
it is the 3022, ford specific, slides over the ford splines,then nut goes on shaft, I have tryed it both ways but the other way, the hub & wheel won't lock on, tryed calling Grant but keep getting voicemail.

BILL
06-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the replies, Just got a call back from Grant tech assist, they say my shaft is too long & I have to cut it off (ouch):blink:

billf
06-25-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm glad you got the answer to the problem. I really have been confused over the fact that mine fit (two applications) without difficulty, and you had this problem!!!

Sorry that I was unaware of the lengh differences, though.

Now, you should be on your way.

Good racing,

Bill