PDA

View Full Version : Team DI Pro IT at Summit Point

benspeed
06-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Looks like a great event coming up at Summit Point. I was hoping somebody could provide directions to the track from NJ that ensures my big rig will make it to the track without getting high sided on railroad tracks etc...It's been a year since I've been there but I recall a couple of crossings I wouldn't want to go over in my motorhome.

I'm also curious where I should be parking at the track. I recall that classes paddock together but there isn't much room for big rigs.

Any help is most appreciated. Thanks

dave parker
06-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Ben
I would take I-287 south to I-78. I-78 to I-81 south.Take I-81 south to Virginia exit 315. At the end of the exit ramp turn left onto VA Rt. 7. Go east on Rt. 7 to the fifth traffic light and turn left onto Crum's Church Road Rt. 632. Follow Crum's Church Road to the stop sign (about 5 miles). At the stop sign turn right onto Old Charles Town Road. Follow Old Charles Town road about three miles to the stop sign and turn right onto Summit Point Pike. Go up the hill, the first driveway on the right is the back gate for the track. The second driveway on the right is the main gate.

Read the supps, you will see that you are allotted a 40' x 20' space in the paddock for your rig and racecar. Or you could paddock by the registration building and avoid the space limitations.

If you have more questions you can call me at our shop 304.728.8222.

cheers
dave parker

benspeed
06-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks Dave - which driveway should I take into the track? I'm about 58 feet long...12 tons. Rolling into the track around 9PM.

JamesB
06-21-2010, 03:25 PM
For all MARRS events its the main gate, there is no gaurentee that the Shanandoa gate will be open for us. And it can handle your rig, many pass through there. As for paddock space, might want to e-mail some people see if they can add you to the corral if you want pavement space which goes fast.

robits325is
06-21-2010, 05:17 PM
I need to reserve a paddock spot too. Who do I contact?

Gregg
06-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Contact the drivers rep for your class (ITS?). All reps' contact info is listed in the supps. It should be Marshall Lytle.

dave parker
06-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Ben
Please be aware that I corrected the mistake in the directions that I gave. I originally had exit 317 off of I-81 when it is actually exit 315 (Rt. 7) off of I-81.
That is what I get for driving the route in my head.
cheers
dave parker

benspeed
06-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks Dave!

robits325is
06-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Why so few entries? 1 Miata?

Gregg
06-23-2010, 10:52 PM
And it looks like I'm going ot have to withdraw the one ITA entry you have.

Steven McWilliams Jr
06-23-2010, 11:44 PM
You really dont need to worry about paddock space for your trailer, there is plenty of room for a big rig like yours. But reserving a spot is a good since you'll be rolling in kind of late.

Gregg, I was going to sign up so I could beat you!(or say I got second in a pro race)

See you there, with my old calipers that might fail(but I did put new rotors on)

Good Luck,
Steven

robits325is
06-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Does anyone have Marshall Lytle"s e-mail address?

Gregg
06-24-2010, 07:53 AM
All of the drivers reps are on the DC Region's contact page:

http://wdcr-scca.org/ContactUs/tabid/57/Default.aspx

benspeed
06-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Hey Rob - I may park down on the grass across from registration. Great view of the carousel and may be cooler. It'll be HOT this weekend.

JamesB
06-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Hey Rob - I may park down on the grass across from registration. Great view of the carousel and may be cooler. It'll be HOT this weekend.

This is one weekend where the back paddock woods is a good place to be.

M5rokit
06-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Rob D did you get a garage? That field area near reg might be the right choice. Close to garages too.

JamesB
06-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Gasoline alley garages are long term rentals, not per event spots.

benspeed
06-25-2010, 11:13 AM
Dropping out - got a bad cold - sucks. All the equipment is good to go - the driver is shot.

erlrich
06-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Dropping out - got a bad cold - sucks. All the equipment is good to go - the driver is shot.

Sorry to hear that Ben - was looking forward to getting an up close of that 968 this weekend. Hope you feel better soon.

robits325is
06-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Looks like the Pro-IT portion of the event has been canceled - no Ben No Race!

Terry Hanushek
06-25-2010, 04:05 PM
I can confirm that Round 4 of the TeamDI.com Pro IT series scheduled at Summit Point this weekend has been canceled.

The low number of entries and combined with the prospect of keeping the race staff on duty for another hour at the end of Sunday led to this decision.

I won't be so harsh as to blame Ben for this decision ... but he could have asked Darrell to take his car to Summit and race it for him.

The JRB will meet in the near future to determine whether this round will be replaced or abandoned.

Terry

anthony1k
06-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Well, people took off work, paid for hotels and drove for hours only to find out that the race was cancelled. I understand the reasons behind this decision but a bit more consideration would have been appropriate. Like canceling the race earlier or even perhaps warning competitors that this was a distinct possibility. This does not speak well of the series.

I can confirm that Round 4 of the TeamDI.com Pro IT series scheduled at Summit Point this weekend has been canceled.

The low number of entries and combined with the prospect of keeping the race staff on duty for another hour at the end of Sunday led to this decision.

I won't be so harsh as to blame Ben for this decision ... but he could have asked Darrell to take his car to Summit and race it for him.

The JRB will meet in the near future to determine whether this round will be replaced or abandoned.

Terry

StephenB
06-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Isn't that race this weekend?

anthony1k
06-26-2010, 05:01 AM
Isn't that race this weekend?

Correct

Doc Bro
06-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Well, people took off work, paid for hotels and drove for hours only to find out that the race was cancelled. I understand the reasons behind this decision but a bit more consideration would have been appropriate. Like canceling the race earlier or even perhaps warning competitors that this was a distinct possibility. This does not speak well of the series.

Thanks for summing that up for me Anthony. Left for home this AM at 8....just got in. Summit Point is a great track.....would have loved to race it. Thanks MUCH to Chuck Allard, Chuck Dehaven, Marshall Lytle and Dave Hogg for helping me go pretty fast at a new track. Cancelling the race because guys bailed was POOR. I won't say too much because I have NOTHING AT ALL good to say but suffice it to say the Pro-IT series is not what Ithought it was. I am out $$$$$$$. Thanks to all..................maybe we'll see ya at the Glen....if it is still a go....I guess we'll only know that a day or two before.

R

tdw6974
06-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Doc, Last I looked at Summit Pro-it the entrys were very low. Unfortunately We had to "Bail" because of work requirements. Presently the Pro-it at WGI shows 23 entrys and with the race schedulled for first out Sunday AM that should help. T Weaver :eclipsee_steering:

dj10
06-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Seems like someone should have cancelled the event X amount of days before when the entry count wasn't high enough.
I had to cancel due to car problems that cropped up during a test session. It would have been a saftey hazard.
Sorry to hear this guys. :~(

Doc, why didn't you stay and run the regional?

Doc Bro
06-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Doc, why didn't you stay and run the regional?

Run group 7, with big bore, no dog in the fight for MARRS points, more $$, only 2 cars registered, get home early enough to have a Sunday, etc, etc, etc....

R

dj10
06-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Run group 7, with big bore, no dog in the fight for MARRS points, more $$, only 2 cars registered, get home early enough to have a Sunday, etc, etc, etc....

R

Wow only 2 cars for the regional! Can't say I blame you. I actually stopped running at Summit because they were running ITR in with big bore, which includes AS. I remember running with AS awhile ago and they were using me for a brake and the bottom of the shute because they couldn't stop! So I said they hell with them and I won't go back unless ITR is out of big bore.

lateapex911
06-27-2010, 08:38 PM
So when did they cancel the race!?
Sounds like it was after people who were in it actually GOT to the track?

Steven McWilliams Jr
06-27-2010, 08:50 PM
yeah, they had sings up at registration that said something along the lins of "Pro IT race cancelled-talk to Terry" I feel bad for you guys, but for the ones who came down, why didn't you still run the regional? (assuming you get your $$$ back from the Pro-IT) I understand why Doc Didn't, he was talking to my friends about his situation when I was bleeding brakes. But for the ITS guys, there is some pretty good battles and a good amount of entries.

Steven

Doc Bro
06-27-2010, 09:16 PM
So when did they cancel the race!?
Sounds like it was after people who were in it actually GOT to the track?

About half way through the friday test day. I found out after testing about 4:30ish.

R

lateapex911
06-28-2010, 02:10 AM
yikes. hey, it's only a what, 8 hour tow for you?:shrug:

anthony1k
06-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Wow only 2 cars for the regional! Can't say I blame you. I actually stopped running at Summit because they were running ITR in with big bore, which includes AS. I remember running with AS awhile ago and they were using me for a brake and the bottom of the shute because they couldn't stop! So I said they hell with them and I won't go back unless ITR is out of big bore.

I ran the regional and I agree 100%. It makes no sense to have ITR in big bore. The speed differential with the faster GT1 and SPO cars is staggering. On the other hand AS cars are fast in the straight but hold up ITR cars in the corners. I think that MARRS ITR regulars should try very forcefully to get this situation corrected and not let petty politics force them out of a great series.

robits325is
06-28-2010, 09:11 AM
I ran the regional and I agree 100%. It makes no sense to have ITR in big bore. The speed differential with the faster GT1 and SPO cars is staggering. On the other hand AS cars are fast in the straight but hold up ITR cars in the corners. I think that MARRS ITR regulars should try very forcefully to get this situation corrected and not let petty politics force them out of a great series.

ITR/ITS - Big Bore is the worst possible combination. I've done it and I will never drive in that combination again.

dtanthon
06-28-2010, 12:12 PM
For MARRS 6 at NJMP on Lightning ITR will be in with the group that has ITB, ITR, ITS & STU. The NARRC / MARRS 8 on Thunderbolt will have the same group.

Of course the Pro IT Series races at WGI and NJMP will have the usual group.

ner88
06-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Why run STU with ITR and ITS?

chewy8000
06-28-2010, 03:46 PM
I agree and we ended up running the restrictor and moving to ITS in the E36 because it was to dangerous running an ITR rookie in big-bore. I believe at the time the decison was made there was only (1) car running in ITR. :shrug:

dj10
06-28-2010, 04:27 PM
STU shouldn't be a problem. As long as there are not many of them. A good STU & driver should walk away from everyone, otherwise you will be battling for position in mid pack.

lateapex911
06-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Combining those classes eliminates double dip potential, though, right? Although it seems Miatea are the main dippers....

dave parker
06-28-2010, 05:56 PM
I was sorry to hear the Pro IT was canceled. I spoke with the Race Chair about this Friday evening. She told me that it was a mutual decision between her and Terry Hanushek that was based on low entries and keeping the 100 plus volunteer workers in the heat for an extra hour on Sunday. As a driver I struggle with the canceling of this race, but as worker and region volunteer the decision made sense. If one takes the time to analyze the dynamics involved it all adds up. The Pro IT was scheduled at this race because it is the second least subscribed MARRS weekend of the series (the August MARRS being the smallest) this allows some room in what is already an overcrowded paddock. The Pro IT was the last run group of the day, because it is not part of our regular series. Finally, the high heat (near 100 degrees) did not help the situation any. Hopefully the Pro IT will return to Summit Point in the future.

To clarify, there were TWO ITR cars in impound after Sundays race.

cheers
dave parker

Gregg
06-28-2010, 08:30 PM
To clarify, there were TWO ITR cars in impound after Sundays race.
Actually there were three finishers (made sure my vision--which understandably could have been affected by the beer and the heat--didn't deceive me), Two MARRS regulars and one car I hadn't seen before.

http://www.nescca.com/nescca_main/crrresultssp5.pdf

As I was perhaps the biggest proponent in WDC of inviting the series to one of our events I was quite saddened to see this happen, especially when we fielded two MARRS run group of IT (and SRX7) that had over 30 entries each and some of the best racing of the weekend.

Just a quick show of hands for you series regulars that didn't enter, was the reason:

1. Economics?
2. It's gonna be hot as hades?
3. There's gonna be a Pro-IT Race at Summit Point? (ie. promotion issues)
4. It's too far to travel?
5. I heard the paddock stinks?
6. I heard the track stinks?
7. I just had a race a few weeks ago and I'm spent?
8. The wife would kill me?
9. WDCR wanted to charge my credit card right away?
10. I planned to go but nobody else had entered when I last looked?
11. Something else

Thanks!

RSTPerformance
06-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Gregg-

this year wr havnt run the series for several reasons... Babies, weddings and a new race car on the way are just a few outside influences. other reasons included a very attractive NARRC series this year, other events with stronger ITB fields, and the fact that SM does not have a split start with the rest of the IT cars.

I really want to race Summit as that is where my earliest memories are when my dad went to his first driving schools back in the early 80's... However canceling an event after the drivers arrived is a low blow. I might consider one of the big NASA events instead. I am stunned at the poor decision by Terry and the other person involved. At least get creative and combine the event into other races... Did people really have to pay more to enter the regional race?

Raymond "hoping this doesn't kill the series, Team DI has put way to much into it for us to screw it up" Blethen

tdw6974
06-28-2010, 11:14 PM
--Just a quick show of hands for you series regulars that didn't enter, was the reason:

1. Economics?
2. It's gonna be hot as hades? a
8. The wife would kill me? Hmmm? she did order our Monument
11. Something else Had Booked rooms entered. Car was ready, BUT our driver had work conflict that resulted in us with drawing. We are headed to a FATT on Monday July 19th At this point track has only 2 cars entered. TW:eclipsee_steering:

Thanks![/QUOTE]

gran racing
06-29-2010, 08:00 AM
If I attended any event regardless of how close it is, I'd be more than annoyed with it being cancled. Then if I towed 7 hours bringing family, possibly taking time off of work, all of the other related time and expenses? Do what needs to be done to help the workers even if that means reducing all run groups track time. But this is not the way to do business. :(

Doc Bro
06-29-2010, 09:03 AM
I spoke with the Race Chair about this Friday evening. She told me that it was a mutual decision between her and Terry Hanushek that was based on low entries and keeping the 100 plus volunteer workers in the heat for an extra hour on Sunday.

cheers
dave parker

So, the Team DI Pro-IT series is a series about the workers......

I just thought the series was about adding car counts to nationals under the guise of being a driver's series.....

R

Greg Amy
06-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Man, if I'd driven all the way down to Summit, only to find on Friday that the race was canceled, I'd be RIPPED...

Trust me, I know what the weather was like; I was outside all day at NJMP: brutal heat and humidity. And I'm sure it was even worse down there.

You know I'm a volunteer. And you may know I've worn the whites before. But if it was acceptable to keep the whites out there for an extra hour for a large race group, then I fail to understand how that suitability/safety is changed for a small group. In the end, it's an hour doing exactly the same thing (but with a small group a possibly much lower potential for carnage/running/exertion).

Just sayin'.

I know the persons involved in the decision process and I respect them and their judgment immensely. However, go/no-go decisions like this must be made a minimum of a week in advance and adhered to, regardless of its effects, and all affected persons must be given sufficient notice.

GA

Greg Amy
06-29-2010, 09:31 AM
STU shouldn't be a problem.
But by placing STU in ITR, ITS, and ITB, you lose a significant opportunity for additional "double dip" entries from competitors looking for additional track time.

Jerry's thinkin' like a "bidnessman"...I wish more SCCA organizers would do that...

JamesB
06-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Well I can not speak for the flaggers, but EV would just work the schedule if there was a 9th group. Instead we got a short day, done by 3:30, 4:30 would not have killed anyone....but I guess the race chair felt otherwise.

callard
06-29-2010, 12:40 PM
On Friday afternoon, when we (Doc Bro and I) spoke to John Nesbitt, the Chief Steward of the weekend, he said the ProIT race cancellation was done by the promoter and not the DC Region. The race chair did not make the decision. The workers benefited from a shorter day but were not part of the equation. Please talk to the ProIT folks about clarifying a cancellation rule for future events to avoid casting false blame.
Chuck

anthony1k
06-29-2010, 01:55 PM
On Friday afternoon, when we (Doc Bro and I) spoke to John Nesbitt, the Chief Steward of the weekend, he said the ProIT race cancellation was done by the promoter and not the DC Region. The race chair did not make the decision. The workers benefited from a shorter day but were not part of the equation. Please talk to the ProIT folks about clarifying a cancellation rule for future events to avoid casting false blame.
Chuck

I was told the same thing by John Nesbitt.

JamesB
06-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Chuck, I never saw him. Only story I heard was it was a mutual agreement between the promoter and the chair.

John Nesbitt
06-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Just so everybody is on the same page, here is what I know, and what I told folks in the paddock.

On the way up to the track on Friday, I received a call from the race chair, telling me that the series had decided to cancel.

Later during the drive, I received a call from the series steward, Terry Hanushek, telling me that he and Darrell had decided to cancel, citing the low registration numbers.

At close of online registration at Wednesday noon, there were 12 entries. This was down to 10 by Friday morning, and reportedly others were withdrawing. Terry was confronting the prospect of single-digit car numbers circulating for 45 minutes at the end of the day Sunday. I am sure that the welfare of the flaggers was part of his calculation. I do not envy him the decision; it was a very difficult choice.

Certainly, Terry consulted the race chair since it was a DC Region event. Given the challenging economics this year, the Region had no incentive to cancel. Even a dozen entries (counting double dippers from out of town) would have made a difference to the event balance sheet. But it was at the initiative of the series that the race was cancelled.

John Nesbitt
Chief Steward, MARRS 5

benspeed
06-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Just a quick show of hands for you series regulars that didn't enter, was the reason:

1. Economics?
2. It's gonna be hot as hades?
8. The wife would kill me?
11. Something else

Thanks!

It was a shame the event was cancelled but I can understand why. Economics of having only 9 cars and the heat, plus being the last race...

I didn't come down because I was sick as a dog but I had the car loaded and ready. What killed it for me besides being sick was being the last group of the day and then having to fly to San Francisco first thing Monday morning.

The series organizers will try to see about making the race earlier when the event is held further from the regular tracks based on the assumption that many of the Pro IT drivers are making a major tow to get there. It will be helpful to allow those drivers to race earlier so they can get rolling for home.

In the future I know the series organizers will make any cancellation decision well in advance of the event - certainly before drivers haul down to the track. These folks feel badly about that - Doc Bro - I know they are taking a hard look at trying to do right by your situation in particular. You can expect a series official to be in touch with you.

The assumption that Pro IT will be held with more national events to help drive more revenue to the region and avoid losing money is clearly a driving force behind the series. Last year Pro IT at regionals helped a little because of double dipping but it can also be said that it eroded revenue where there wasn't double dipping, based on prize money distribution. There is opportunity for double dipping at a national but if that doesn't happen, Pro IT still adds incremental revenue at a national that wasn't there before - expect that to be a strategy for scheduling next year. I am not a series official but I am friends with these guys and have relayed their thoughts.

I think that Summit Point should be on the calendar next year and hopefully we can schedule earlier for the race - the track is excellent and the paddock is fine. The heat - that might have pushed folks away for this particular weekend - heck, I was looking for a cool suit because of the expected brutal heat.

Let's look to a full field at Watkins Glen and remember what we learned from the unfortunate cancellation at Summit.