PDA

View Full Version : Lime Rock June 19th Race

JLawton
06-20-2010, 10:39 AM
So I can't believe no one started a thread yet? Not even the part about a freakin bear running down the main straight during qualifying??? That's a sight I've never seen before!! Did anyone get pictures??

How did the ITB race end up?

Does anyone know the corner worker at station 10 that was taking pictures during the group 5 victory laps?

gran racing
06-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Jeff, I took quite a few pictures of your victory lap for you. It's on Kai's camera so I'll have him forward pics.

Congratulations again for you well deserved victory!

Jeremy Billiel
06-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Really a Bear? Wow thats way cool!

Congrats Jeff I had not heard the news!

RHallRacing
06-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Congrats Jeff on the win!!

The B race was pretty good with a great battle for 3rd-6th. Stephen B and that Civic were 1-2 the whole race with the Civic maintaining a 3 car length lead for most of race. The battle for 3rd was great between Raymond B, Ken H, Tim M, Mike Reese, and Nat W. All nose to tail til Mullen and I think Nat might have tangled in 1.( I'm sure someone saw it) Reese was in the thick of things too, til what looked like some electrical problems in the Uphill ruined his chances but still finished the race. I;m sure the guys that ran can give more details.

I'm not sure what the final order was, but it was a fun race to watch. It was great to see 17 B cars take the green flag. I hope to rejoin in NHIS and The Glenn, and of course the NARRC Off's.

And the bear was at the bottom of my buddys deck the night before, didnt know he made his way track side. Someone had to get a picture

Kai Noeske
06-20-2010, 12:15 PM
So I can't believe no one started a thread yet? Not even the part about a freakin bear running down the main straight during qualifying??? That's a sight I've never seen before!! Did anyone get pictures??

How did the ITB race end up?

Does anyone know the corner worker at station 10 that was taking pictures during the group 5 victory laps?

The grid workers told me about the bear cub :) Glad it made it across the track safely!

Dave took a big series of pictures of you in the esses with the checkered hanging out of your car (you need a flag holder, man!). I will upload the pics to my smugmug soon and post the link here.

Congrats!

:eclipsee_steering:

dickita15
06-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Rick gat the win with Steven right on his tail, very good race but the races of the day had to be Shane and Jeff. Shane took the qualifying race and Jeff took the finale but the winner could have been different an any given lap.

Andy Bettencourt
06-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Congrats Jeff!!! Who were the top 5 in ITA?

gran racing
06-20-2010, 12:26 PM
I really want to see the video from Shane's car with Jeff flicking him off as he got passed. :D

vwzx7
06-20-2010, 12:35 PM
No video from Shane's car.....no workie. :shrug: Camera went south!

lateapex911
06-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I really want to see the video from Shane's car with Jeff flicking him off as he got passed. :D

Yea, that was killer race. Wish we could have seen the back of the circuit. Jeffs flag holder, (His lovely girlfriend ) was removed from the car by a worker before they let him on track. Not sure why. (Who needs pretty blonds holding flags in an SCCA event? NASA has that patent!). I talked to both Shane and Jeff individually, and each credited traffic with the win/loss. And each one won a race. So that's pretty fair. Although, I have to say, guys....1:03.2 in qualifying? Really? On't tell me the track was slow, I was a 3.9! (On my 3rd of 6 laps...first time in the car since November!, tsk tsk. ;) !)

Sadly, I didn't get the on track view for the second race that I did for the first race as my motor gobbled up some integral components and then puked it's internals in the tech area in race 1. (Sorry Brian. Tech ran great BTW)...(AKA, blown motor on the 14th of 15 laps)

The first race WAS interesting. I moved to 3rd overall on the start, but Shane kills in the uphill and got under Jeff in West bend, slowing the train up. Stupidly I went for intertia instead of a block move and Yiannis ate me up. So I was back to 4th, and watched that battle for a bit, but I had my hands full of Max. He has 40% more torque, yea, that makes it interesting on the straight. I gave him the outside for a few laps, but there was a removal in Big Bend going on and a standing yellow, so I took my normal line and backed off a bit. Max, dude, you might have gotten that pass completed just barely by the actual station, but......bad judgment, IMO. I assumed they'd call it in. You got away with one there.

Then my LR tire went off, and I dialed it back. Geoff B later told me he was getting a light mist behind me, sorry, all temps were normal, I didn't know I was smoking/misting.

The bear was wild! I looked up and this huge black cat looking thing is gallumping down the straight near pit in, on the far side. It took a second, but I figured it out, Bear cub/yearling. Couldn't get over the triple Armco. It left via the passage to the outfield in about 30 seconds.

Camping at Lime Rock used to be relaxing! Glad I have an enclosed trailer!

Finally, to NER and Jerry, and the other regions that cooperate and the Stewards and officials, and workers, it was a great event. I REALLY thought the school format was AWESOME. Mixing the race groups and the students was good for everybody. And the format change really rocked. Thanks to the Gods who listened and made it happen.

dickita15
06-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Jeffs flag holder, (His lovely girlfriend ) was removed from the car by a worker before they let him on track. Not sure why. (Who needs pretty blonds holding flags in an SCCA event? NASA has that patent!).

Not that it is real important but it was not SCCA workers who ordered her from the car, it was LRP employees from fire rescue who ran over to pit lane and decided that shorts and flip flops were not okay and ordered her out of the car.

ner88
06-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Jeff, sorry about the victory ride.
Seems that the rules for(Saturday) race day are different than on Friday.
I know first hand as I was told not to come to grid in shorts on Friday.
When I could not find any posted rules I asked the track officials.
It seems that when the track opens to the public (Saturday) it then comes under state regulations, no shorts or open toed shoes in a hot area.
Another funny rule: you can race under the age of 18 but can't get out of the car, no one under the age of 18 can be in a hot area!

I would also like to thank the many officials, workers and volunteers who were willing to allow us to step outside the box and put this great event together.
I/we(NER) will continue to listen to you all and work toward putting more events like these on in the future.
Thank you all!

mossaidis
06-20-2010, 04:07 PM
I am sorry I missed what seemed like a great race. Civic didn't shift into 5th or reverse after the FD install and even though we fixed in the 11th hour (Fri night at 11pm) one of the trailer tires gave way before we even left Queens. :( Can't wait to see the results posted. See you guys at NHMS on the 11th. Mickey

jimalley
06-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Congrat's Jeff, that is a great weekend!

JLawton
06-20-2010, 04:43 PM
I'll second what Jake said. It was a great event, well organized, lots of racing, lots of wildlife and a great format!! Thank you Jerry!!

No worries on the flag holder, it didn't bother me a bit! I was way to excited to worry about it!! (I did hear that the worker felt her rath!! Trust me, he paid for it!! :D )

Probably the top most fun races I've had. Shane and I were working each other hard but clean. We went through many of the corners side by side. Classic battle of power vs handling. Yeah, I got sick of him getting a run on me on the up hill with no way to stop him that the last time I flipped him off as he went by!! I was hoping it would show on his video because it didn't on mine.

Tim Dugan
06-20-2010, 06:58 PM
ill give you guys the itb standings

1 Rik Benazic
2 Stephen Blethen
3 Raymond Blethen
4 Ken Hubbard
5 (me) woohoo
6 Dave Zaslow
7 Nat Wentworth
8 Eric Pederson
9 Richard Gleason
10 Robert Albino
11 Mark Wagner
12 Richard Ford
13 Michael Yaiser
14 Michael Reece
15 Tim Mullen

Good racin through the whole field thanks racers for an exciting start and good racin all weekend

ulfelder
06-21-2010, 05:45 AM
What about ITR and ITS, anybody got Top 3 info?

(I swear the S2000 will be done soon! Look for me at NHMS July 10-11.)

Steve

JLawton
06-21-2010, 07:09 AM
Who were the top 5 in ITA?

Sorry Andy, not sure how much I can help. I think both the quakifier and the race results were put on hold because of "issues" and I never got a result sheets.

I think Max came in third in both races. Yiannis was up there and Branscom may have gotten fourth in the race. Other than that, I'm not sure.

And how about that, TWO Saturns there this weekend!! Matt Ferris who bought Larry Deludes old SS car. And I must say he had a great showing especially since his car is far from being prepped to the limit. Watch out for him in the future.

Quaote of the weekend from Jim Alley (in a Miata) as we were on grid for qualifying: "oh no, I'm sandwiched between two Saturns!!!"

Now you Miata guys know what the rest of us feel like!! :happy204:

georgethefierce
06-21-2010, 08:10 AM
congrats jeff, the ITA race was indeed a great one.....any word on the condition of the SM driver that took the tumble down the front straight?

BruceG
06-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Not that it is real important but it was not SCCA workers who ordered her from the car, it was LRP employees from fire rescue who ran over to pit lane and decided that shorts and flip flops were not okay and ordered her out of the car.

In fairness to the F&R folks at LRP(and a really great group of people if you take the time to know them), they are under close marching orders from Skip Barber to toe the line on all safety issues and will err on the side of caution in all areas!!

THawkbh
06-21-2010, 08:33 AM
That was a fun weekend.
Thanks for you help in the school Dick.
Congratulations Jeff on the win. I was hearing your name over the PA all weekend.

Maybe next time I'll be able to keep it pointed in the right direction. Moved up through the field before my embarrassing decent into second to last.

Dave Zaslow
06-21-2010, 08:49 AM
My thanks and congratulations to NER for a great event.

My ITB congrats also to the three B's, Benazic, Blethen & Blethen for their fine drives to the podium.

My ire to the ITR/S drivers who disrupted the wagontrain of ITB cars behind the lead three. You time a pass in an area that will not screw up our race.

Slip Sliding Away:

In group 3 there was some real fun on Friday. Just before group 3 went out, someone in the school put a good stream of oil on-line from the entry to the uphill to pit in. I had the pleasure of following Rick B chasing Paul Curran and trying to get around him. Thankfully he did get under Paul at the turn-in for the downhill. I say thankfully because Paul immediatly blew up and spun in the lake of oil from his newly ventilated block. That left me with just the inside line that had the oil from the school group. If Paul had been on line, they couldn't have thrown a red flag fast enough to keep everyone from sliding off. I hear that about three folks managed to join him in the runoff area without damage.

In the AM qualifying race Steve Miller also blew up in front of me.

In the race I was behind Michael Reece who spun exiting the downhill when a left rear tire gave out. His tire was being shredded by the fender due to multiple contacts on the start.

Is it a curse? Remember this; if I am following you, you may be better off dropping behind.

DZ

lateapex911
06-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Dave brought up a good point regarding the ITS-ITB battles. But he didn't address something I've seen numerous times. So I will be, and it might lose me a little respect. (Assuming I have an anyway!) If you're an ITS guy, and you're racing with an ITB guy, stop and think for a second. You're a loooong way from where you should be. In time and position. And the ITB guy you're dicing with is likely a top ITB car. So, to boil it down further, you aren't in a race, and he is*.

To wit: I was standing on the hill, and watched a long time ITS competitor chop down (not just once) on an ITB guy in the right hander leading onto no name a number of times. The ITB guy was in 2nd or 3rd, and had his lap destroyed by having to hit the brakes when that is a flat corner for him. Never mind that he was going to give up the outside of the track. The ITS guy was in like 6th obviously off the pace. Seriously? Your ITS car has about 160+ hp at the wheels, and lap after lap, you're in a tussle by the esses. Do everyone a favor, and either throw down some real fast laps and clear those guys, or assuming that's not possible, loaf it down the straight to let those guys stay in front and race for their trophy.

We're all guilty of getting caught up in the moment....we've all done it..heck, if somebody in a class above me has dicked with me in the past, I'll race him very hard even though he's not in my class...., but, if you're in a higher class, far from the trophies, running times that are two classes below you, and you are screwing the leaders in a lower class, that is, in my mind very questionable behavior.

* Ignore all of this if the racing is way back in the pack, far from the trophies, where fun can be had racing anybody...I'm talking about racing that effects trophy positions.

THawkbh
06-21-2010, 03:49 PM
I'll keep that in mind Jake. I was going back an forth with a bunch of ITB guys in the first and second sessions. I may have screwed them up.

lateapex911
06-21-2010, 03:56 PM
I'll keep that in mind Jake. I was going back an forth with a bunch of ITB guys in the first and second sessions. I may have screwed them up.

Well Drew, I don't recall it being you....and honestly, IIRC, you don't have 5 or 10 years of racing in ITS under your belt. ;) And I am talking about the races I watched, specifically. (And I've seen the same people doing it in NH, and others in Ohio, both tracks that tend to not let the big dogs fly as much as at other tracks, like the Glen)

In qualifying, it's a different story. Some guys just want space to run a clean lap. So they will be smart and just cruise down the straight until they find a gap. That's what I do. Others have buddys that turn similar lap times, so they'll pair up. The draft plays a role, especially in similar cars of low HP. generally, you would think that cars of different classes will make their laps in different ways, so they should stay away from each other in practice and qualifying, ignoring prep issues that make a faster class car slower than it should be.

But, (And I honestly have NO idea if Drew did, or didn't screw anyone up...), a great thing to do is go to impound after a race. Even if they say 1-3 are required, it's cool.... if there's room (which there is now that impound is where it is)...to go anyway. Go talk to those ITB guys and ask them what they think...meeting people and chatting face to face is a great way to understand the situation better. Besides, impound is a fun place to be after a race...they even give you water. (Except impound in Atlanta at the ARRC, which I find mildly stressful, LOL)

kjh6576
06-21-2010, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=

Is it a curse? Remember this; if I am following you, you may be better off dropping behind.

DZ[/QUOTE]

LMAO...... Nice try Dave. I had a great battle once I caught up to Mr. "All 4 wheels off at the top left of the up hill" Raymond B. I tried the outside of BB, sticking my nose in a little in T3 repeatedly getting the door closed. Finally Raymond was slowed in the down hill by traffic,and I easily got by him. The next lap, Crazy Ray had a run on me in the down hill and got by me. I may not remember all the slicing and dicing that took place but, I can certianly remember how big the smile was on my face tring to find away around Raymond's Owdie. Congrats to Rick, Stephen and Raymond.
Thanks to all of the workers whom make all of this possible.:023:
Regarding the slow fast cars. Both the qualifying race and the race were dramaticaly altered by thier presence. Not really sure what else could have prevented this, other than a split start, qualifying in the top 2 and or the faster cars essentialy slowing down substantialy and letting the faster slow cars through cleanly. Getting any racer to slow in the straights is a tall order , especialy in the first 2 laps. Which of course is the most importiant for us in the pea shooters. LOL Any hue, I had a great weekend and see you all soon. Cheers.........
Ken H

StephenB
06-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Before the weekend or even this month I knew it would be a problem. I posted here about a split start and was told to contact the chief steward. I did and he was open to it... problem is they need two pace cars... track space... we get a green no matter what if the first group does... and the reason I didn't pursue it is you also need something signed from EVERY driver without exception. Wasn't worth it at the time but I did think of it while side by side in the left hander in second place watching #1 get farther away. Honestly in those situations its easy to get frustrated but no hard feelings since I knew it would happen going into the event. Its what to expect as a front runner in a slower class. ITS has been like this for the last 11 years I have been in ITB.

I would also add that If you keep getting bumped in the same turns lap after lap remember that is a racecars horn. I only know that because I was walking through a NASCAR garage once and the girl with me asked where the horn was.... that's when rusty spoke up and brought her to the front of the car. With his accent he showed us the scratches on the front bumper... I'll never forgot that day!

Stephen

PS: the #1 reason I will never run an ITB car in TEAMDI PRO-IT is because they dont want to split out the miatas as a split start.

THawkbh
06-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Well Drew, I don't recall it being you....and honestly, IIRC, you don't have 5 or 10 years of racing in ITS under your belt. ;)

But, (And I honestly have NO idea if Drew did, or didn't screw anyone up...),

No, I don't have years of experience. That was my first weekend with the new car and my second race to complete my permit. I think I did slow down the driver in the black/orange golf/gti/whatever it was. He was quick in the turns but I was quick in the straight. I just ran my race but I wasn't going to pull over. I probably should have though. He was faster than me.

I'll go to impound next time, just incase someone wants to give me some 'constructive criticism.'

I'm still learnin. :D

Hey, did anyone catch my first spin coming out of big bend. Oops!

JLawton
06-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Race video
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7692448/20459166

quality sucks and I cut out a few boring laps to keep it short.

Kai Noeske
06-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Cool - you got the scene where I ran wide out of Big Bend and kicked up that huge cloud of dirt before pulling the car back on the black... :D

TimM ITB
06-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Well, I guess that I will join Jake in the "this may lead to a loss of respect thang", but I am one of those ITB cars that got held up over and over again by an ITS car. Over and over again. Same car. Lap after lap. All over him from Big Bend through the Esses and then he pulls away on the No Name, only to almost wreck him and me on the entrance to the Uphill, etc etc.

Now I KNOW that we all have the "red mist thang" and all that, but MAN! We are in different classes! PLEASE, if there is NO OTHER car in your class anywhere in site, let us go!!!!

Anyway, frustrating doesn't even come close to describing it.

I also know that it's my responsibility to find that car and driver at the next event and have a clear communication with him as to the impact that this kind of driving has on others around him. He probably doesn't even know. I hope.

JLawton
06-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Cool - you got the scene where I ran wide out of Big Bend and kicked up that huge cloud of dirt before pulling the car back on the black... :D

Yeah, it was kinda like the "Days of Thunder" scene. Do I keep my foot in it and hope he's not side ways iin the track or lift and let Shane by........... Fortunately I guessed right. And where are my pictures!!! :)

Regarding the faster cars holding up the slower cars. Yup it sucks. It happens to the ITA cars at Pocono with the ITR and ITS cars. It happens with lapped cars as well and Shane and I both felt it was a determining factor in the out come of our race too.

Go talk to the person.

On the flip side.......... and I may lose respect for saying this :) but handling traffic is part of being a good racer. It's a skill.

Greg Amy
06-22-2010, 07:29 AM
...handling traffic is part of being a good racer. It's a skill.
Ding, ding, ding.

I'd add that managing passing and being passed are both an art and a tactical advantage.

GA

gran racing
06-22-2010, 08:11 AM
but handling traffic is part of being a good racer. It's a skill.

Handling traffic is a skill and one of the fun aspects of racing to me. However there should also be some respect shown between racers and situational awareness. A couple of years ago there was an ITS car inbetween myself and the 2nd place ITB car. I knew how things were going to play out and made sure to get in front of him. Several laps went by and I just enjoyed having the ITS car behind me preventing pressure from the B car. IMO, after a couple of laps of not being able to pass me the ITS car should have allowed the B car through to fight for the lead. The funny thing was after the race I was approached by the ITS driver who asked why I didn't let him by. Well, duh.

In situations like that where it's a battle for the lead, the ITS car needs to recognize that at some point the B car most likely will take a more risky pass knowing that contact might be a result. That's a big difference than managing slower lap traffic.

A little further back in the pack, lets race regardless of which class you're in.

raffaelli
06-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Pictures of the bear around yet?

Congrats Jeff!

ner88
06-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Pictures of the bear around yet?
They're coming, they just got stuck behind a ITS car:D

l8tbreakr
06-22-2010, 09:24 AM
I came out to the school on Friday to knock some rust off the driver and shake down my new-to-me SM. Had a lot of fun my first time at LRP, and want to thank Ken Burt for SM advice to the noob and showing me the line in the track walk Friday morning, Workers for being there and allowing us to play, Peter for letting me run the school on a NASA comp license, Nick and Randy at Flatout for the awesome car setup. Met some great folks and had an awesome time on Friday, can't wait to get out there and mix it up again.

We had the bear on the track during grid on Friday. Heard about the turtles at the school Thursday night. Didn't realize we're racing in a zoo :)

Regards,
AJ Goldsmith
SM #75

gran racing
06-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Wait till you meet more of the drivers!

Kai Noeske
06-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Wait till you meet more of the drivers!

:D :lol:

Kai Noeske
06-22-2010, 09:55 AM
And where are my pictures!!! :)

Will be up later today ... my home internet has SSC newbie upload speed :)

Kai Noeske
06-22-2010, 01:05 PM
... snapped by Dave:

http://kainoeske.smugmug.com/Sports/Lime-Rock-SCCA-Regional-19/12656522_vLmdg#909996036_vz2LT

dominojd
06-22-2010, 04:56 PM
:) but handling traffic is part of being a good racer. It's a skill.

I'll second the ding ding,

After watching the video this is what won you the race. No disrespect to Shane, but you managed traffic better. Good Job Jeffy. :D

JLawton
06-22-2010, 07:23 PM
I'll second the ding ding,

After watching the video this is what won you the race. No disrespect to Shane, but you managed traffic better. Good Job Jeffy. :D

No, no, no, that's not what I was implying!! What won me the race was horsepower and luck. Shane just got screwed worse because of his lack of power.

dominojd
06-23-2010, 06:15 AM
No, no, no, that's not what I was implying!! What won me the race was horsepower and luck. Shane just got screwed worse because of his lack of power.

I know its not what you were saying,it is what i was saying