PDA

View Full Version : brake ducts & braking.....

jungle
06-15-2010, 04:57 PM
I have had a lot of trouble w/ the brakes on my car.....I know the master cylinder has been replaced by the PO, I put new calipers on last year (the ones w/o the phenolic ring). I do have some ghetto 2" hoses running to brake rotor, starting in the fog light holes, but it is too small and not pointing at the best spot (but something is better than nothing). Hawk DTC 60's front and Hawk Blues in back. Pentosyn Racing brake fluid, bleed before each race.

These calipers have like 3 race weekends on them, and at black hawk they got real crappy....very soft brake pedal. coming off track....sitting in impound for a few minutes, then driving to the back lot where i was paddocked, the rotor & caliper temps measured 400 degrees.

I am going to slap another set of calipers on, this time ones w/ the phenolic rings. Has anyone figured out a decent way to get ducting to them? any other advise would be appreciated.

Kolin Aspegren
06-16-2010, 09:33 AM
What wheels you running, stock wheels keep a lot of heat in the brakes. Blues in the
rear is way too much pad for this car. Most people run stock organic LHS pads. I've
always ran cheapo stock and combo's of semi-metallic with good success.

k

jungle
06-21-2010, 12:28 PM
I am running 15*7 Team Dynamics......I did some testing w/ Andrew-Racing, and thus far, even w/ hawk blues in the rear the fronts are still the 1st to lock up. I know this flies in the face of conventional Neon wisedom...but what can I tell ya? Maybe my car has weaker than normal rears?

BTW....Do I get the metal or phenolic calipers? I know the phenolic rings will deteriate, but the metal ones will heat up faster. I do have a sheet of 1/8" Phenolic material....I was debating about making a plate of it the shape of the brake pad to use as a heat sheild....what do you guys think of that? I don't currently have access to someone you can make titanium heat sheilds.

jungle
07-07-2010, 11:21 AM
I had a buddy of mine fab up some stuff......he basically made a dust sheild w/ a hose attachment...we were able to clear 2" hoses. We did utilize the factory fog light holes, which isn't the best high pressure area to draw from but.....I will try to post pics later.

I did have the rotors measured at 525 degrees after a 20 min. sprint race, and a heat sensitive sticker on the outside of the caliper did trip at 340.

I also have another buddy making me some titanium backing plates to go between the pad & caliper. There will be left over Ti., if anyone wanted to buy a set.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5665/birscca2010a.th.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/i/birscca2010a.jpg/)

Yes..that is Great stuff in the fog light holes holding in the tubes and forming the funnel! :)

splats
07-07-2010, 06:20 PM
What color stripe do you have on the rear priportioning valves?? The rear drums vs rear disc use different valves at the master cylinder. Since the PO replaced the m/c, he may have used the wrong ones. Drums are gold & discs are black (I think).