PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about switching from Drifting to Club Racing.

Jeremy Sharer
06-11-2010, 07:15 AM
Ok guys.. this has been on my mind for awhile now.. and i would probably have some pretty bummed out sponsors if they heard this. But I'm thinking about making the switch from an "ProAM" drifter to a beginner road racer. I've done tones of track days and they are fun but point by passing just isn't all that fun. (given that i understand the reason for it being a rule lol) but here is what is gonna make it hard. I have a 1990 Nissan 240sx that is probably illegal now due to some un-fixable mods i did to the chassis its self. here is what im assuming will make it illegal.

1. spot welded the strut towers front and rear.
2. boxed in all my suspension arms (which can be replaced)
3. converted to a 5 lug bolt pattern instead of factory 4 lug
4. and of course the motor is the DOHC out of a 91 and the head is fully ported and im running a eaton m62 supercharger yielding around (250whp) obviously way illegal.

my car in the drifting world is probably worth around 7-8k due to it being Forumla D legal so its turn key to somebody wanting to drift professionally. (which may be an option for me next year. lol)

but i guess my best option is to sell my drift car and try to jump into a IT car and start getting some more seat time at different tracks. but what is the best bang for your buck IT car preferably RWD? that could be used in NASA so i could run in more then just one class?

JeffYoung
06-11-2010, 07:34 AM
ITA (in this order): Miata, 240sx (8 valve), e30 325e
ITS (same): 99 Miata, 2nd Gen RX7, 280/300zx, 240/260/260z if you like dinosaurs.

There is a decent ITS E30 325is with some minor illegal parts for sale on this board for $9k I think Good car.

Jeremy Sharer
06-11-2010, 07:45 AM
is a ITS e30 (325is) pretty much the same as a spec e30 for nasa?

EV
06-11-2010, 07:46 AM
Just about anything goes in STU (SCCA Street Touring).

gran racing
06-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Hey Jeremy,
Just curious since it sounds like things are going pretty well for you with drifting, what's motivating you to make the change to Club Racing? One downside of road racing at the club level is it's quite difficult to obtain sponsors. Since you have some with drifting (I obviously have no idea what that actually entails and what you're getting out of it) are you sure that you want to let them go? Maybe you'd be better off renting a car to do your schools and be sure you'd truly enjoy road racing more.

Jeremy Sharer
06-11-2010, 08:21 AM
^^ i understand what your saying.. I may try to find a class that i can be "somewhat competitive" in with my drift car, just making small changed like alignment and wheel/tire combo, and give that a shot. It just doesnt seem like there is much of a class for RWD imports making 300whp with open suspension mods. lol cause my car is about to get a steering knuckle mod giving it 60* of steering angle instead of your typical 32*. But im for sure gonna finish this season out with drifting and see where things are going for next year. I definitely still have my dreams of Drifting with my hero's and this year has already been a big eye opener at Road Atlanta by being pitted next to your favorite drivers and sharing track time with them and sitting in the same drivers meetings.. lol the little things like that are real eye openers.

JeffYoung
06-11-2010, 10:10 AM
I think so, but not 100% sure. A Spec E30 is, I think, a lower level of prep than an ITS E30 -- but double check the rules to make sure.

is a ITS e30 (325is) pretty much the same as a spec e30 for nasa?

chuck baader
06-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Lets see...going from drifting to road racing is like going from a bath to swimming:026:

Competitive cars, IMHO, e30 325e, Integra, Miata, for ITA, IN THAT ORDER:eclipsee_steering:

e30 325i cars can be competitive in ITS, and in NASA GTS. The spec e30 is a spec suspension package with which the track record at RA is a1:43. In other words, about 3 seconds off the pace. Were I going ITS, I would probably look at the second gen RX7 or the 944. For flat tracks such as RR, Miatas rule. Chuck

JeffYoung
06-11-2010, 10:36 AM
He's looking for RWD Chuck, so no shitboxes -- Integra out.

944, I would avoid. Down on power in ITS. Now, a 944S would be a different story, BUT, a build would not be cheap.

Your cheapest entry into ITS in a "modern" car (i.e. fuel injection and 4 wheel disc brakes) that is competitive would be a 2nd Gen RX7. Second probably the E30 325is. Your best bet for the future would be an ITS Miata or a 944S, setting cost aside.

tnord
06-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Your best bet for the future would be an ITS Miata or a 944S, setting cost aside.

I was this ----><---- close to doing an ITS Miata, had the donor car picked out and everything. but then i came to my senses and bought a good SM to convert into ITA. I still want to do it though.....someday.

Z3_GoCar
06-11-2010, 11:22 AM
In STU...

All is allowable except for the supercharger. Another option, if you just want to redo your suspension settings and get out and run what you brung, is ITE ( or ITO/ITU ). These are regional defined classes, so you'd have to look up the rules in your region. Don't worry about legallity for your race school.

betamotorsports
06-11-2010, 11:59 AM
You local region probably has a "run whatchaya brung" IT class. Here in CalClub its ITE. Your car as currently modified can run in that class. It may not be competitive but at least you'll be able to get out there and see if road racing (and getting passed) is something you want to pursue.

Check the GCR for all the safety stuff that's required and pay very close attention to the roll cage rules. A lot of the drifter style JDM cages are not SCCA legal.

pballance
06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Hey Jeremy,

How about coming out to NSS June June 19-20 if you are not doing the event at Summit? We could always use some additional corner workers and you would get to be up close and personal to some good, close racing. Heck, we will even feed you and have a party for the workers on Saturday Night.

You are more than welcome to visit whether you work or not. Hope to see you there.

Paul

lateapex911
06-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Lets see...going from drifting to road racing is like going from a bath to swimming:026:

C

No, not really.
Drifting= diving. Subjectively scored competitive water sport. Difficult to do really well.
Racing= Open water swimming scored by time. Requires lots of training and talent. (open water involves passing, strategy, navigation, aspects that pool swimming lack to a certain degree)

Jeremy, some good advice here...probably best to come to a race, kick some tires, and talk to the guys about things like budgets and returns. You'll note a lack of scantily clad young hot chicks, either paid or otherwise, a lack of spectators, and a different type of competitive attitude. Might be better for you, or worse, but it is different!

dj10
06-11-2010, 04:05 PM
You'll note a lack of scantily clad young hot chicks,

WHERE WHERE!! 8~) LOL OH the lack of. 8~(

Jeremy Sharer
06-11-2010, 10:10 PM
i went to the enduro last year.. and i will be there ate since we have a local drift event on saturday and i co-own the drifting organization so of course i'll be there. I would be at summit point is i wouldnt have melted 2 pistons. But i will be out there and i'll come say hey to any cars i recognize from off here. But i did notice that super touring showed that superchargers are on a on-basis rule. where they can pass a supercharger. but that may be only on cars that are factory equipped. but I'm gonna do some more track days in the car and of course keep my drift season going..

if anybody wants to see my new website its JeremySharerRacing.com
I still have a couple things to fix on it. but its pretty much finished.

pballance
06-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Jeremy, If you get to NSS stop by the covered garage where the scales will be set up or at the media center. Ask Barbara (media center) or Rich (scales) to get in touch with Paul. I will not be racing that weekend, only working the event but I will be glad to introduce you to some of the group.

Paul

Jeremy Sharer
06-12-2010, 03:41 AM
^^ I will do. It'll probably be later when i get out there but i remember last time yall had a little run time under the lights. so i'll definitely be there by dark. I live right down to the road so its not like its much of haul for me.

Chip42
06-15-2010, 01:25 PM
But i did notice that super touring showed that superchargers are on a on-basis rule. where they can pass a supercharger. but that may be only on cars that are factory equipped.

I could be wrogn but I believe this is for cars such as the NSX which are too fast for STU in order to bridge the gap between their potential without the SC vs that of other cars in STO. I know that in the world challenge series, where the super touring rules originate, aftermarket SCs are/were not common. the KA24(D)E/SR20DE(T) S13/14 is suitable for STU. I wouldn't put much hope in a SC allowance to move the car up to STO. With a SC or turbo, SPO/ITO/ITE is your best bet, as has been said.