PDA

View Full Version : Roll cage question..

Rabbit05
06-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Hey all,
I just happen to have an older caged car in my driveway. I was wondering how do you check to see if the cage is legal under the new rules ? I don't have a current GCR. Maybe someone has a link to the rule for me ? :023:

Thanks,
John

joeg
06-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Assuming it has no log book, you need to check the size and steel composition of the tubing.

DOM for the steel; the tubing dimensions are in the GCR--weight/vehicle dependent.

Needs two door bars on each side and main hoop cross bracing. Maximum number of mounting points is 8 (stays within the cab)

Cheers.

Greg Amy
06-09-2010, 09:32 AM
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club%20Forms/2010%20Tech%20Forms/GCR-June.pdf

Depending on how much older is "older", some things to look for:

- Full horizontal bar through the main cage plane;
- Two door bars, both sides;
- Read the rules.

Rabbit05
06-09-2010, 09:41 AM
The cage looks good in construction, to me. It does have 2 bars for door bars , both sides. All I need to find out is the wall thickness and tubing is correct .

The car was half built and never made it to the track. I bought it for parts for my street car..but after going to the Grand Am race memorial day weekend at LRP...I have the itch again. But I want to do some research first before I try to finish the car.

Oh yeah ..its an 1985 Audi Coupe...:023:

-John

Greg Amy
06-09-2010, 10:00 AM
The car was half built and never made it to the track.
Ah, that's a different animal. Since it does not have a logbook you'll need to comply with the newest ruleset...read carefully...

Rabbit05
06-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Greg,
Thank you for the GCR link ! I'll start reading that thing tonight .As far as I know the original owner is still a racer and I was told that he "over built" things. So hopefully the cage will be ok. Then I just have to go get some shock and springs to get going.

-John

bhudson
06-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Hoping it's right is one thing, but to be sure the cage will be legal, contact the Regional Chief of Tech or the Divisional Administrator of Tech. Either one of them should have the proper tools to verify the wall thickness and diameter.