PDA

View Full Version : Bought A Race Car...FINALLY

Simon T.
06-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Some of you may remember me, I've been posting here since I was like fourteen. :p

Anyway, a few weeks back I bought my first race car. I use to have an ITC Civic I built way back when that wasn't ever completely finished, but this popped up and I bought it.

It's a 97 Dodge Neon ACR. It had been a SSC car all its life including racing in the Neon Charity Challenge.

I sold an MR2 I had on a Sunday and bought this the next day on my lunch break from a guy at Skip Barber at Road Atlanta.

I LOVE it and feel like I won something because I finally have an already built car. lol

Anyway, I want to convert it to an IT car BUT somethings have been done not IT legal to my understanding. First it has aftermarket engine mounts. Injectors are also different than stock (from an Intrepid). I think those are my two biggest concerns. I know I wouldn't be winning but I want a legal car.

Also the cage, it is a bolt in, I have to add extra door bars. I haven't read the GCR since last year, is bolt in still ok? Do people ever weld a bolt in cage to the car?

Mechanically the car is great, it handles amazingly well, it has a Sparco seat, Simpson harness, it's all wired for a radio with push to talk button, etc.

I'd really like to run some enduros with it as that has always been a huge passion of mine. Any input?

A few photos:

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/tibbsport/IMG_2216.jpg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/tibbsport/IMG_2220.jpg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/tibbsport/IMG_2218.jpg

Knestis
06-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Seems like a great option, Simon - congratulations!

K

Kolin Aspegren
06-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Where's the battery??? And those mm are just inserts, pull them out and you are good to go.

k

JeffYoung
06-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Congrats, and good choice.

Just starting out, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the mounts and injectors. Change them out when you can; they are not legal (yet! ...on the mounts).

Have fun with it! That car has a shot in A I think.

P.S. -- Yes, bolt in cage is still legal. However, when you have the guy do your door bars, have him weld the cage footers in. Not much more $$ and much safer (and stiffer).

Simon T.
06-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks everyone!

Battery is in the trunk, which I think is IT illegal too?

P.S. -- Yes, bolt in cage is still legal. However, when you have the guy do your door bars, have him weld the cage footers in. Not much more $$ and much safer (and stiffer).

Yeah that's what I had considered, are the mounting plates fine to be welded?

JeffYoung
06-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Should be with some scraping. Talk to your welder.

Battery in trunk is legal, if it was there stock. You will have to check but I kinda doubt it....

Thanks everyone!

Battery is in the trunk, which I think is IT illegal too?

Yeah that's what I had considered, are the mounting plates fine to be welded?

Eagle7
06-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Some of you may remember me, I've been posting here since I was like fourteen. :p
Simon, I remember you from the motocross forums back in the mid-90's.

lateapex911
06-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Great news Simon! Nobody is going to car if you have mounts and injectors and are running stock SS exhaust, and are a rookie! Get to that stuff as you can.

Glad to have you on the track, Neons can be fast in ITA

gran racing
06-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Congrats!!! Finally. :happy204:

Remember that in order to do your schools, the car doesn't need to have those illegal mods fixed in order to participate.

bhudson
06-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Look forward to seeing you in the Atlanta Region ProIT Series!

CRallo
06-08-2010, 11:27 AM
So Jason sold that car eh? wow!

Great car, I've driven it myself...

Congrats on the purchase! If I was gonna race FWD that would be it!

Z3_GoCar
06-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Congrats, and good choice.

Just starting out, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the mounts and injectors. Change them out when you can; they are not legal (yet! ...on the mounts).

Have fun with it! That car has a shot in A I think.

+1 :023:

My battery is in the trunk, so it is possible, (I know different manufacture, but it is US made.)

Jeff,

You've not given up in alternate motor mounts? How's that going to happen? I'm planning on purchasing my new mounts for next season soon....

JeffYoung
06-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Strangely enough, mine (TR8) is too....stock. I know some manufacturers did it, but BMW was pretty unique in doing it a lot, right? Both my M Coupe and my M5 had/have the battery in the trunk.

Maybe the ACR did too. But he should check.

On the mounts, if you read the CRB's decision it basically says they are denying the request at this time but will consider it again in the future as part of an assessment of the overall direction of IT. Will it get changed? Who knows. Next year? Highly doubtful honestly.

Z3_GoCar
06-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Strangely enough, mine (TR8) is too....stock. I know some manufacturers did it, but BMW was pretty unique in doing it a lot, right? Both my M Coupe and my M5 had/have the battery in the trunk.

Maybe the ACR did too. But he should check.

On the mounts, if you read the CRB's decision it basically says they are denying the request at this time but will consider it again in the future as part of an assessment of the overall direction of IT. Will it get changed? Who knows. Next year? Highly doubtful honestly.

Actually,

The early '96 Z3's had it under the hood, but when they decided to put a six under the front the battery migrated back. So the ITA Z3's could have it in either location, kind of strange to have a choice on where to place the battery....

DoubleXL240Z
06-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Simon, we have had our neon for 4 years now!! It can be great car for A! Get a strut bar up front for sure!! PM me and I can give you some spring/shock etc input !!

gsbaker
06-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Simon! There you are! Long time, no type.

Looks like a great car. Best of luck on the track.

cjb25hs
06-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Simon, I also have a ACR that I have been running the last 3 years. The suspension is key, makes decent power in stock form. PM me if you want some setup help. I am consistently a top 5 car so you can run towards the front. I can tell you that if it has the Koni's send them out to be shortened, rebuilt, revalved and converted to coilovers. The neon has very limited front travel. You will want at the very least 400F 600R spring rates starting out. I am running higher than that.

Simon T.
06-14-2010, 08:25 AM
So Jason sold that car eh? wow!

Great car, I've driven it myself...

Congrats on the purchase! If I was gonna race FWD that would be it!

Yep! He's a cool guy defiantly very helpful and knowledgeable.

Simon, we have had our neon for 4 years now!! It can be great car for A! Get a strut bar up front for sure!! PM me and I can give you some spring/shock etc input !!

Cool thanks!

Simon! There you are! Long time, no type.

Looks like a great car. Best of luck on the track.

Yeah it's been a while! I will keep you updated! :023:

Simon, I also have a ACR that I have been running the last 3 years. The suspension is key, makes decent power in stock form. PM me if you want some setup help. I am consistently a top 5 car so you can run towards the front. I can tell you that if it has the Koni's send them out to be shortened, rebuilt, revalved and converted to coilovers. The neon has very limited front travel. You will want at the very least 400F 600R spring rates starting out. I am running higher than that.

It does have Konis on it. I will PM you with some questions, thanks!