PDA

View Full Version : New to the party - ITA Fiero GT

benspeed
06-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Some of you might remember my foray into building a Fiero GT - I gave up on the project but my teamate Greg Simpson spent about 2 years getting this car built and developed.

He'll be testing it all day Friday and doing his first race on Sunday in the Pro IT - check it out!!!
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4660151254_0446e57c7a_m.jpg

Video - hear the power of the 2.8 V6 with crushing torque

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7583875/20111968

tnord
06-01-2010, 12:37 PM
there's one registered for this weekend at heartland park as well. bet my miata doesn't have motor on that thing!

trhoppe
06-01-2010, 01:20 PM
The one here in Atlanta goes about 140mph on the straights and then 15mph in the turns. It's funny to watch. At least he gets out of the way nicely.

-Tom

JeffYoung
06-01-2010, 01:33 PM
I still think, after tons of money and time in development, that is a potential "car to have" in ITA along with the CRX, Integra, 240sx and Miata.

Ron Earp
06-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Very cool, very cool.

I agree with Jeff in that I think a fully developed one can do ok. The question is will we ever see a 100% effort? I hope he takes it all the way.

One observation - a dual exit exhaust on that V6 will not make as much power as a properly designed header system with scavenging merge collectors and single exhaust

Robert Zecca
06-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Car looks spectacular!!! Good luck Greg.....you deserve success!!

JoshS
06-01-2010, 02:35 PM
We had one at our last race weekend at Laguna Seca. They're out there!

lateapex911
06-01-2010, 02:54 PM
MY neighbors would have had the cops there by then, LOL.

tnord
06-01-2010, 04:56 PM
MY neighbors would have had the cops there by then, LOL.

that's because you have that obnoxious 12A thingee.

Andy Bettencourt
06-01-2010, 06:45 PM
that's because you have that obnoxious 12A thingee.

But at least that keeps the mosquitos away!

Would love to build one of those. Very much the "NX2000 principle". Power to spare, now we have to figure out how to make her turn.

Steven McWilliams Jr
06-01-2010, 07:05 PM
That's sweet. My dad had 2 of them when I was little, and this was my first thought when I decided to get into ITA. I hope it does real well.

Good Luck!
Steven

CRallo
06-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Car looks great!!

One of those is def on my list of cars to own at some point! Typical GM, finally get it right and then kill it! :/

Anyone race an iron duke? In a Fiero, or otherwise? Is it worth a damn? Seems like it would atleast handle better as a lighter B car... might depend on the tracks you planned to race?

Scott Koschwitz
06-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Contact Don Duman (current SM racer) about building and racing a Fiero. He's not on this board, but you could PM him on SpecMiata.com.

pfcs
06-01-2010, 09:16 PM
I hear they're hard to keep a motor in.

iambhooper
06-01-2010, 10:04 PM
I still think, after tons of money and time in development, that is a potential "car to have" in ITA along with the CRX, Integra, 240sx and Miata.

except there are loads of aftermarket support for the CRX, teg, 240 and Miata's. lot's of part availability, and used chassis laying around. as for the Fiero, only 17,000+- '88's were built, although there were a lot of earlier cars, everyone want's the later chassis.

this car look's great... I wish you guys the best of luck and as a former Fiero owner, I am completely envious!

hoop

tom91ita
06-01-2010, 10:35 PM

those things have some monster torque! should do well at the faster tracks. good luck! good to hear other cars being built.

RSTPerformance
06-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Great looking car!

rhygin
06-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Part of the reason i chose ITA was the variability of speed, cornering, braking , etc... of the cars as opposed to the relative frieght train of SM and such. If you use a rough 146-148 hp stock and a 25% multiplier here (just making this up... no holy war... already happening around the globe)... that should make for a pretty stout little monster down the straights! Have fun.

greg simpson
06-02-2010, 09:43 AM
The one here in Atlanta goes about 140mph on the straights and then 15mph in the turns. It's funny to watch. At least he gets out of the way nicely.

-Tom

maybe I can come down there and show you how good it handles!Greg

Dano77
06-02-2010, 09:56 AM
When I worked at the Pontiac dealer in the 80s,we made a lot of money swaping engines due to the 2.5 block leaking oil. Not the gaskets the BLOCK.

Anyways,when the 88 showed up it was kinda eyeopening the first time we pulled a wheel off and didnt see VEGA front suspension andbrakes, And CITATION front suspension mounted in the rear. To bad they scraped the car just as they fixed it.

Great looking car,hope it works for you. Don Dumas had one that was pretty quick at the starts and man did it sound cool. Could barley hear over my rotary.

Dan

mossaidis
06-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Great looking car! Good luck at testing and we hope to see you at NARRC/LRP June 18-19.

Gary L
06-03-2010, 07:45 AM
I've stated so on these pages before, and I'll say it again - the Fiero has the potential to be a class leader in ITA, given just a bit of development and a decent pilot (you guys that like front wheel drive will have to make some adjustments :D). I personally think you need to start with the '88 chassis, but who knows? Incidentally Dano - it was Chevette front suspension on the early ('84-'87) cars, not Vega.

Anyhow, in 2004 (before I found the love of my life in the form of a prepped 142E), I took my street '88 GT to Hallett. We had performed only the mods listed below to the stock machine. I've owned it since new, so I know what's been monkeyed with and what hasn't. The idea was to have some fun hot-lapping, and investigate the possibility of building an ITA car:

- Muffler removed (cat intact)
- 15x7 Kosei
- Used (many cycles) R4 Hoosiers
- Lowered front & rear (chopped stock springs)
- Orange Koni's (installed in 1990!)
- Decambered front & rear

Absolutely nothing else was done to the car. With an as-delivered engine (no chips, no tweaking whatsoever... the engine has never had a valve cover removed), we ran 3 1/2 seconds off the then-current (Bob Stretch) ITA lap record. And oh, BTW... we were running 350-375 lbs above the current 2600 lb minimum for the car!

benspeed
06-03-2010, 02:21 PM
There are some very encouring remarks about the Fiero - great to hear! I know Greg has spared no expense on his car - he can't wait to hit the track!

iambhooper
06-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Damn... I'm 2 month's into SM ownership..I can't start thinking about my past and how I would love to do a mid engine car again.... NOOOOOOOOOO.................. this is rally like looking at that new (insert size here) LED 3d TV and saying "I have 399" of flat panel's but what's a nother 75 going to hurt?

billdill
06-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Hey Tom,,,, Give me SOME credit. I do AT LEAST 20 mph around the turns at Road Atlanta.
Bill

Robert Zecca
06-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Anyone know what happened to Greg at NJMP this weekend? I heard he dropped out after one lap.....

billdill
06-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Here is my 15 mph Fiero at R/A... I believe I am doing at least 18 mph here.:D

quadzjr
06-07-2010, 04:52 PM
I've seen your car bill. I want to say I saw it at Sebring.. But I coudl be wrong. Either way cool.

billdill
06-07-2010, 06:20 PM
I was building one and found this car in New York, had it shipped here and now it's got a Southern Accent:D You may have seen the car in Daytona. The car is great on that track. Its a handfull to drive, but it's a hoot!

Simon T.
06-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Bill do you manage the PDXs at Road Atlanta?

billdill
06-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Yep, That would be me.

Terry Hanushek
06-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Anyone know what happened to Greg at NJMP this weekend? I heard he dropped out after one lap.....

Greg had overheating problems during qualifying and elected to not race. Look for Greg to be back at Summit Point in three weeks.

Terry

tnord
06-07-2010, 11:57 PM
the 88 Fiero GT out in MiDiv is also a new car that made it through the whole weekend. looks good too.

ScotMac
06-08-2010, 04:24 AM
Car looks great!!

One of those is def on my list of cars to own at some point! Typical GM, finally get it right and then kill it! :/

Anyone race an iron duke? In a Fiero, or otherwise? Is it worth a damn? Seems like it would atleast handle better as a lighter B car... might depend on the tracks you planned to race?

I hear they're hard to keep a motor in.

Hmmm....yes, that is a fair statement.

I think there are VERY few ITB fieros being raced. I used mine to get thru driving school and novice races. It made it thru a few more races before blowing a head gasket, and then bent some push rods and valve stems. I did a full head rebuild, and am testing it this thurs. Wish me luck.

greg simpson
06-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Im running 400 pound springs all around with koni reds and it handles great!

quadzjr
06-08-2010, 10:13 AM
what is the minimum weight on this thing in ITB? I am too lazy to look it up.

edit: a 2.5L mid enigne car weighing at over 200lbs less than my 1.6L mid engine car?!?! #$%^#$&#! I give up :(

Though there are some differences but with my MR2 at 2340# it felt great with 450# on all corners and koni 8611 DA's

lateapex911
06-08-2010, 12:31 PM

edit: a 2.5L mid enigne car weighing at over 200lbs less than my 1.6L mid engine car?!?! #$%^#$&#! I give up :(

But yours has a Toyota Formula Atlantic engine in it!

ScotMac
06-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Though there are some differences but with my MR2 at 2340# it felt great with 450# on all corners and koni 8611 DA's

I assume you are talking about an MR2. Don't let the size of the engine fool you. An MR2 has significantly more horsepower than a fiero. Wasn't it recently an ITA car? It may not have been a front runner in ITA, but a duke based fiero would be totally outclassed in ITA. Here is what wiki said about the two:

"The engine had already been introduced earlier on the AE86 Corolla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AE86), gathering a lot of positive publicity. Road tests delivered 0-60 mph (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0-60) times in the mid- to high-8 second range, and 1/4 mile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_mile) times in the mid- to high-16 second range, significantly faster than the four-cylinder Pontiac Fiero (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Fiero) or Fiat X1/9 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_X1/9)."

The best fiero based duke was only rated at 98 hp (flywheel). W/ a hooker competition header, 040 overbore, and some intake and exhaust porting, the best i did was 94 at the wheels. Admittedly, ECU work would yield some more power, but not a lot more.

I switched the rear suspension to 400lb springs, and put in coilover sleeves. Should be a great improvement. However, the i haven't done the front yet, so it may be a bit unbalanced! :blink:

quadzjr
06-08-2010, 01:30 PM
The best fiero based duke was only rated at 98 hp (flywheel). W/ a hooker competition header, 040 overbore, and some intake and exhaust porting, the best i did was 94 at the wheels. Admittedly, ECU work would yield some more power, but not a lot more.

I switched the rear suspension to 400lb springs, and put in coilover sleeves. Should be a great improvement. However, the i haven't done the front yet, so it may be a bit unbalanced! :blink:

All to familiar with anything MR2/4AGE based.
Yeah your gains (13% according to the numbers you posted) not that bad but still not good really, still some more could be found with the ECU. I mean both of us are not working with a honda. I have a similiar build an utilized everything from clearances, to rings and still resulted in a 10% gain. Both of us are chuggin aroudn with roughly 24.x lbs per hp, when the class goal is 17:1 :rolleyes:. I would imagine your tq curve looks pretty decent however.

I don't know if there is a plethera of dyno graphs for the 2.5L iron duke in IT trim. I have seen more than a few for roundy round builds, but it looks like your car could use a weight break or reclass if your car cannot get to a lower weight. Unfortunately so little ITB fieros exist that it would be hard to make your case.

back to sweet ITA Fiero action.

repietz
06-17-2010, 10:46 PM
That thing looks sick!! WOW! Best of luck!

:023:

Some of you might remember my foray into building a Fiero GT - I gave up on the project but my teamate Greg Simpson spent about 2 years getting this car built and developed.

He'll be testing it all day Friday and doing his first race on Sunday in the Pro IT - check it out!!!

Video - hear the power of the 2.8 V6 with crushing torque

Steven McWilliams Jr
06-18-2010, 07:27 PM
I saw that it's registered for MARRS 5, good luck! My dad had two and I had a blast riding in them when I was little. This was my first thought for an ITA car, but didnt have the $$$ to build one. Good Luck next weekend, I'll definately stop by and take a look (not that I won't see it blow by me at least once down the 3/4 mile straightaway). I'll be in the White/Blue Honda paddocked by the FV's. Or with the General Li and a black CRX.

Steven

trobbins
06-20-2010, 10:35 AM
There are two of them that run in ITB up here in Mi at Waterford Hills . Mid to back of the pack runners. Although they are not "100% developed". I have raced one of them and was just ok to drive. Much different than my front drive Honda Civic.
Your car looks great and the exhaust note is nice too. Hope to see you do well. Good luck.