PDA

View Full Version : Servicing 240sx rear brakes?

djsilver
05-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Do any of you have a trick for getting the rear caliper pistons to screw back into the e-brake adjusting mechanisim when installing new pads? I've worked on several (mine and others) and have only been successful around 50%. Otherwise it involves dis-assembling the caliper, screwing the adjuster in and re-assembling. :shrug: S13 & S14 work the same.

Thanks!
Don Johnson
Buccaneer Regin SCCA
Savannah/Coastal Empire Solo Club

Tristan Smith
05-19-2010, 01:45 PM
I would just take a pair of needle nose pliers and rotate them back in. Some were stickier than others but I was usually able to get them to retract.

CRallo
05-19-2010, 01:55 PM
There is a special tool to do those... I am planning to but one this year, making do with needle nose for now :/

Either way its obnoxious, but no disassembly required

erlrich
05-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Needle-nose pliers work fine for me. I would think the needle-nose vise grips might work even better, but I've never found it to be a big enough PITA to go buy a pair. I would also imagine it would be easy enough to make up a tool - just weld a couple of 1/4" pins into a steel handle - kind of like the wrench you use to loosen the nut on an angle grinder. :shrug:

djsilver
05-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Yep, I've got a set of those really long needle nose pliers and they both turn fine. Of course the one with the split boot screwed in just fine....., The one with good boot just goes round-and-round! I've tried all my tricks like working it back and forth, releasing the e-brake cable, etc. Oh well, Autozone has caliper kits for $12 ea wheel so I guess they'll both get an overhaul to go with the new pads.:blink:

djsilver
05-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Just to follow up, I tried un-screwing the piston from the adjuster until it was just hanging by the dust boot. I started it back in and it screwed all the way down, bled the brakes and all is good now!
Thanks!

Matt93SE
05-31-2010, 02:13 PM
I actually modified the removal tool for my angle grinder as someone else mentioned. Did that about 10 years ago for my Maxima and have been using it ever since.

The hard part is the push down & turn with a tool like that. usually I'd find a sturdy place to stick the caliper and then use both hands to push & turn on the tool. worked fine that way.