PDA

View Full Version : New IT drivers!

RacerBill
05-10-2010, 01:10 AM
I just got finished instructing at the Great Lakes Division Drivers' School at Nelson Ledges, where I was able to certify three new IT drivers. If you have never had an opportunity to instruct at a school, I highly recommend the experience.

There is nothing like coaching new drivers, observing them, recommending changes, and having them return from an ontrack session, with huge grins, and improved lap times.

Undisputably the best time I ever have other then being out on the track racing!

:D :D :D :D

ribbie78
05-10-2010, 09:05 AM
That was a great school this weekend! I was in the red/yellow ITB MR2 with Jim as an instructor. Had a LOT of fun in the wet and then had some issues with a broken front strut and the swaybar linkage broke Sunday...

Hopefully it'll be ready to run next week at the regional!

ITA_honda
05-10-2010, 09:12 AM
I was one of the instructors out there this weekend (the really tall guy in the blue and white adidas jacket:D lol) Just wanted to say you guys did a very good job adapting to the conditions on Saturday. Overall I was impressed. Good luck to you all!:happy204:

steve b
05-10-2010, 10:11 AM
That was a great school this weekend! I was in the red/yellow ITB MR2 with Jim as an instructor. Had a LOT of fun in the wet and then had some issues with a broken front strut and the swaybar linkage broke Sunday...

Hopefully it'll be ready to run next week at the regional!

Good to see another MR2 driver. Did you recently buy the car?

ribbie78
05-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Good to see another MR2 driver. Did you recently buy the car?

The car was built by a close friend of the family and raced in Central Florida Region back in 2002ish. He got really sick and quit racing so we traded a bugeye sprite for the mr2. He passed away shortly after from cancer so I'm dedicating this season to him. It's a fun little car and I was blown away how well it managed in the wet at the school!

Looking forward to meeting and running with you guys this year!

Rob

RacerBill
05-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Second what Greg said. Some sessions went from dry to wet and then back to dry again (or semi-dry). Those guys got some experience dealing with changing conditions! Mother nature threw more at them than the officials did!
:happy204: :026: :023:

joeg
05-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks to Bill and the other instructors.

preparedcivic
05-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I was there as a student on Saturday as I only needed one day to get my time in. I was driving the ITB CRX #5 that ended up stuck in 3rd gear most of the day. Great school; just enough guidance. The weather certainly was an interesting combination with the normal challenges that Nelson can give a driver.

Overall a real good event.

wally2
05-11-2010, 12:37 AM
ribbie78, was that you who went off driver's right, in the rain, after the kink, saved it, came back on track at the cross road, and continued? If so, well done! Nice control.

ITA_honda
05-11-2010, 08:30 AM
ribbie78, was that you who went off driver's right, in the rain, after the kink, saved it, came back on track at the cross road, and continued? If so, well done! Nice control.

Im almost 100% sure it was. I didnt see it happen but I wish I would have. The chief instructor was very impressed. And the cool thing of it was, he didnt lose any time or positions!

ribbie78
05-11-2010, 11:14 AM

Im almost 100% sure it was. I didnt see it happen but I wish I would have. The chief instructor was very impressed. And the cool thing of it was, he didnt lose any time or positions!

lol yup

Once I went off and it actually was staying straight I saw it was on line for the apex of 12, checked my mirrors and saw that no one was on track n prayed. I was almost expecting a black flag for gaining an advantage in the grass hahaha

I was really lucky.