PDA

View Full Version : LRP May 14,15 Regional

wepsbee
05-06-2010, 04:34 PM
I do not see any registration hours for friday evening. That is going to make for a very busy Sat morning. Anyone know why no reg the evening before.

Andy Bettencourt
05-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I do not see any registration hours for friday evening. That is going to make for a very busy Sat morning. Anyone know why no reg the evening before.

Probably a cut and paste for a typical National weekend when all Rge is done Thursday evening and Friday morning. I bet they will staff it up when they realize - or already have a plan.

wepsbee
05-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Hope so. I will try and reg on Fri as I only live an hr away.

Greg Amy
05-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Read page 11 of the supps.

That said, the risk is very much there on an ongoing basis. It's not uncommon for the Chief of Tech to not able to get enough volunteers to commit to being there, so he's not going to bother. No one wants to be there until midnight tech'ing cars because they're by themselves.

If you're worried about it - and you should be - you should contact the Chief Tech and volunteer to work tech, or the Chief Registrar to work reg, at least the night before events, if not some other time during the weekend; that may convince him/her to take additional time off work and drive up (from New Jersey? New York? Upper New England?) to register and tech you so you can go back to the hotel while they stay there working. Otherwise, you should plan on begin there early the next day or risk missing your session.

What say you, Dan? You only live an hour away; how about volunteering for reg and/or tech on Thursday night...?

Just askin'.

GA

wepsbee
05-07-2010, 07:23 AM
Read page 11 of the supps.

That said, the risk is very much there on an ongoing basis. It's not uncommon for the Chief of Tech to not able to get enough volunteers to commit to being there, so he's not going to bother. No one wants to be there until midnight tech'ing cars because they're by themselves.

If you're worried about it - and you should be - you should contact the Chief Tech and volunteer to work tech, or the Chief Registrar to work reg, at least the night before events, if not some other time during the weekend; that may convince him/her to take additional time off work and drive up (from New Jersey? New York? Upper New England?) to register and tech you so you can go back to the hotel while they stay there working. Otherwise, you should plan on begin there early the next day or risk missing your session.

What say you, Dan? You only live an hour away; how about volunteering for reg and/or tech on Thursday night...?

Just askin'.

GA

Hmmmmm, could work, I will try and get off early and work on Fri night. I work until 7PM usually.

gizmo83
05-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Greg,
I would like to help with tech Friday morning and Friday evening... Can I just volunteer for helmet and log book...as I know very little about the car I drive??!!
I will be there at some point Thursday evening but don't know what time. Do I just go to Tech and say "I'm here to help" or is there someone I should contact ahead of time?
Denise

Andy Bettencourt
05-07-2010, 12:22 PM
I have sent an e-mail toe the CS and Registrar pointing out that almost 80 people will need to Register Saturday morning...and 42 of them will need to be on track at 9:15.

I have requested the addition of a 7-9pm slot on Friday night for Reg.

Greg Amy
05-07-2010, 12:35 PM
That's EXACTLY what you do, Denise: walk up to the Chief of Tech, introduce yourself as a driver willing to volunteer, and offer to help.

As a new inspector (specifically, a Regional Scrutineering license) you'll work the "gear line": review the vehicle logbook for current annual, reviewing the issuance to ensure the belts have not expired, ensure there are no "fix by next event" listings that must be addressed, and review the helmet for the required 2010 SCCA decal. If all is good you can issue the event sticker (available from the Chief).

If the driver's helmet sticker is not current, you can also check the gear: check helmet for Snell 2000 or 2005 rating (2010 not yet released) and no obvious damage; check driver's suit for quality, holes, wear areas, rips, tears, and proper SFI patch (and now if manufactured by Impact bring it to the Chief of Tech's attention for further review); check shoes for fire retardant material (leather, suede, Nomex) and in good condition (look for wear holes in the sole, too); check gloves for proper material, wear, holes, tears, general condition; balaclava if driver has facial hair; and Nomex socks without holes/wear. If all is good you can issue the 2010 helmet sticker (and you have to personally attach it to the helmet, not over any existing stickers).

When you're not busy doing that, you can then observe other inspectors doing annuals and/or issuing new logbooks; a Divisional license holder can sign off annuals on existing logbooks, but a National license is required for issuing new logbooks.

Then, if you have some "down" time during the weekend -- especially if you're free the morning of the first day to help continue those initial pre-event checks for the late-comers -- do feel free to drop by and observe such daily tasks as weights and post-session technical and safety compliance checks. And don't forget the beer party at the end of the day!

Also, make sure you fill out the formal license application so it can be added to your membership/license card, and then do fill out the volunteer tracking form online for discounts toward your membership renewal.

The LRP National is being run by MoHud Region; I'm not as familiar with that group of folks as I am with NER. However, you can rest assured that no matter who is working Tech they'll be more than happy to have you stop by and offer your services...

GA

Greg Amy
05-07-2010, 12:42 PM
I have requested the addition of a 7-9pm slot on Friday night for Reg.
So instead of your showing up Thursday night in the event to register like everyone else, you want them to open up Friday night for your convenience, thus making them miss the "thank you" worker party Friday night?

Nice.

Greg Amy
05-07-2010, 01:25 PM
On second thought, maybe that was a bit too harsh. But, still, it goes back to that other topic about this event: it's a National weekend, and all "us"* Regional drivers are there simply as revenue-producing grid-fillers. You're just not the center of the world this weekend. Just because "we" are bringing in large numbers does not convey a status over and above everyone else. And, "everyone else" is going to get their stuff done Thursday night or Friday morning. "Everyone else" is going to have to take an extra day off work to get their stuff done.

Grid-fillers should, too. If that's too much for anyone, I've got it on good word that there's plenty of other folks waiting for you to give up your spot...

Look, just sayin', OK?

GA

*I say "us" because I recognize I am a Regional driver shirt-tailing onto a National opportunity. I just wasn't fast enough to get into the Regional event, too...

gran racing
05-07-2010, 02:08 PM
I have sent an e-mail toe the CS and Registrar pointing out that almost 80 people will need to Register Saturday morning...and 42 of them will need to be on track at 9:15.

How many people normally need to register for an event? I'm just wondering, is this much different than the norm?

Greg Amy
05-07-2010, 02:57 PM
How many people normally need to register for an event? I'm just wondering, is this much different than the norm?
The National race weekend starts on Friday, and registration is open Thursday night. The Regional Only race is Saturday Only, and registration is not open Friday night for those that choose to not show up earlier on Friday (reg open 7AM-11AM, Tech open all day).

Best I can tell, of the "Regional Only group" that go on-track at 9:15-ish, there's 31 drivers that are not otherwise registered for the National. The "Pro-IT only" entries are of lesser concern, since there's three 40-ish-minute races before they go on track. Given that registration opens at 7:00 AM, and if competitors work together to let the "Regional Only" group get priority in reg and tech, it seems that unless a large number of "Regional Only" competitors show up with cars that needs an annual (or God forbid, a new logbook issuance!) there should not be any problem getting it done by the end of the 9:00 National class warm-ups.

So the question becomes: what percentage of the 31 "Regional Only" racers plan to show up Friday night to register, and do we really want to ask the volunteers to sit there for 2-3 hours waiting for them to show up? I'd suggest either being there early in the day Friday, or being first in line Saturday AM, and asking registration and tech to service the "Regional Only" racers in priority.

GA

gran racing
05-07-2010, 03:23 PM
If they show up Fri, they can still get in and set up their gear. Then be at reg early on Sat. Probably be a less of an issue than a normal Sat only race for those racing in the first run group. :shrug:

Andy Bettencourt
05-07-2010, 03:40 PM
On second thought, maybe that was a bit too harsh. But, still, it goes back to that other topic about this event: it's a National weekend, and all "us"* Regional drivers are there simply as revenue-producing grid-fillers. You're just not the center of the world this weekend. Just because "we" are bringing in large numbers does not convey a status over and above everyone else. And, "everyone else" is going to get their stuff done Thursday night or Friday morning. "Everyone else" is going to have to take an extra day off work to get their stuff done.

Grid-fillers should, too. If that's too much for anyone, I've got it on good word that there's plenty of other folks waiting for you to give up your spot...

Look, just sayin', OK?

GA

*I say "us" because I recognize I am a Regional driver shirt-tailing onto a National opportunity. I just wasn't fast enough to get into the Regional event, too...

Greg, I have no idea where you are coming from. "Everyone else" is on track all day Friday so that point is moot. The fact is that the organizers forgot that they have over 70 drivers who don't roll in until Friday night because they don't race until Saturday. Why would they expect them to take a day off from work on Friday just to sit around all day because they had to register Thursday night?

Since the Regional qualifier is at 9:15am on Sat morning, getting all those drivers though registration is going to be dang near impossible.

I am not asking for special treatment, I am pointing out that they have created the NEED for a Friday evening registration by virtue of the quantity of cars and when they have them slotted to be on track. It's not a special treatment thing at all. It's now a need.

ner88
05-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Since everyone read the supps, we know who the registrar is, why doesn't someone call her and explain the situation.
It only makes sense??

Andy Bettencourt
05-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Since everyone read the supps, we know who the registrar is, why doesn't someone call her and explain the situation.
It only makes sense??

Read post #7.

wepsbee
05-08-2010, 07:48 AM
I will be available to go to LRP on Fri afternoon and work in tech or registration whatever they need. I have to register anyway so I might as well help out.

ner88
05-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Read post #7.
Sorry, I missed that!:shrug: