PDA

View Full Version : Broken Torsen Diff Parts

Dano77
05-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Anybody got a broken Miata torsin diff? I accquired a diff with a broken side gear/output gear where the axle goes in. I dont really want to buy a new diff(used 600 new 900+)since Ive worked on cars for 20 years and should be able to replace the gear. It all just unbolts. Mazda dosent sell individal parts,not serviceable...

And another thing,what is the advantage over the perfectly working clutch type diffs?
I already own three and they seem to have been ok for years. This was a "here this is broken,see if it will work for you" thing anyways.

lateapex911
05-05-2010, 02:18 PM
I seem to recall the Torsens having better behavior INTO corners, but my memory is fuzzy on that. (Something about a 'best of all worlds' scenario) But, I seem to recall that they are noted for failure when driven with one wheel in the air, in more powerful cars. that exclude ours, of course, LOL.

In any case, they were more money, harder to come by, and had the reliability issues, so I stuck with a clutch style when I made my choice.

Yea, none of that helps you, sorry, LOL.

Dano77
05-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Nope your right on the cost vs speed statement. Ill probably stick with whats there unless I come across a unit with a different broken part and piece the 2 together.
Thanks Jake,
Dan

quadzjr
05-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Steve E and myself had a good conversation about this a while back. torsen v.s clutch they both have there positives. The Torsen should help you around corners as it tq multiplies to the loaded wheel up untill the point the inside tires leaves the ground. You can run thicker or thinner oil to change the tq bias. However if you do lift a wheel on a drive wheel it doesn't matter what your tq bias is becase it is multiplied by zero. Steve has told me that he has modified torsen style units to install clutches to counter act this. He also builds some sick clutch type units.

Rarely would you have a broken torsen diff, they do wear out, especially if sand gets in there.

Maybe a gear from another diff would work for you? just a thought.