PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Baffle Plate 1986 Rx-7

cherbi7
05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
I have purchased a baffle plate for between the motor and pan. Is there anything I need to know about when I install or extras I should do while there? I know there is some sort of oil pressure regulator should I upgrade this or can I shim it out or change a spring for more pressure? Thanks

rsx858
05-05-2010, 09:29 AM
I installed a baffled plate a year or two back, i will warn you that those pan bolts love to strip so be gentle with those.

As for the regulator i know that racing beat sells a nice "race regulator" putting the pressure at 115 psi or so.. there are others that put it at about 80 psi at full rpm. You will have to shim the spring as well... the racing beat kit comes with shims and instructions... I went ahead and picked up a fresh spring from mazda... found it to be a different length then whatever the previous owner had in there, could have just been worn, but I was happy i replaced it.

xr4racer
05-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Charles, get some longer bolts for the pan and use a gasket between the block and the plate and the plate and the pan and you will be good.

matt

C. Ludwig
05-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Moroso makes a stud kit that you can get through Summit for the oil pan. Works very nicely.

The 3rd gen pressure regulator is the least expensive, high pressure option. You'll see 100-115 psi with this regulator. Part number is N3A1-14-230. They're around $30 from Mazdaspeed. I'd recommend replacing the front spring with the 3rd gen part as well, no shims. N3A1-14-273A.

I don't use gaskets at all on the pan or baffle. Sure way to create a leak. Right Stuff silicone and very clean parts is the best seal you're going to get.

seckerich
05-07-2010, 06:40 AM
To add to what Chris said. Gray, non hardening sealer like hondabond or Gray RTV work excellent. Just make sure to wipe the surfaces with thinner and barely tighten them on assembly. Let it sit for an hour or so to tack up and then torque to spec. Keeps the sealer from squirting in the pan.

monsterbronco
09-16-2010, 10:56 AM
What is the thread size/pitch for the bolts for the oil pan?

seckerich
09-16-2010, 01:18 PM
M6 X 1 12mm long works best with the plate. Stock pan screws have no threads for the first 3 mm.

monsterbronco
09-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Awesome! thanks Steve