PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the Schedule

Jeremy Billiel
05-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Now that the car is back up and operational I am looking at the calendar and is it just me or are there no events that stick and say I have to attend this one?

Andy Bettencourt
05-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Now that the car is back up and operational I am looking at the calendar and is it just me or are there no events that stick and say I have to attend this one?

How are we supposed to answer that when we have no idea what you goals are?

JeffYoung
05-02-2010, 11:48 AM
You and Amy need to be at VIR next weekend.

Jeremy Billiel
05-02-2010, 12:43 PM
You and Amy need to be at VIR next weekend.

I was actually looking at the VIR schedule since this track is on my "must drive before I die list".

Jeremy Billiel
05-02-2010, 12:45 PM
How are we supposed to answer that when we have no idea what you goals are?

I don't care about any champrioship anything. I am looking for the most amount of track time at tracks that are good/cool and going to new tracks are a plus.

The Triple June 5th will be a ton of time, but I am growing bored of the track. WGI double national would be much better if Pro IT were there that weekend as well.

I may have to just rent a ride for the VIR 13 hour and perhaps make it out to IT Fest. :shrug:

Ron Earp
05-02-2010, 12:51 PM
VIR SAARC MARS has 20 ITS cars signed up. Bring it on down!

Andy Bettencourt
05-02-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't care about any champrioship anything. I am looking for the most amount of track time at tracks that are good/cool and going to new tracks are a plus.

The Triple June 5th will be a ton of time, but I am growing bored of the track. WGI double national would be much better if Pro IT were there that weekend as well.

I may have to just rent a ride for the VIR 13 hour and perhaps make it out to IT Fest. :shrug:

Don't you actually have to race to grow bored of any track? LOL Other than the lack of Pocono race, which you would have missed anyway, this years available tracks/races is really no different than any other year.

Jeremy Billiel
05-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Don't you actually have to race to grow bored of any track? LOL Other than the lack of Pocono race, which you would have missed anyway, this years available tracks/races is really no different than any other year.

Yup and thats the issue... There are no dates sticking out at me. No additional things to pull me to an event. Just the same olde...

Andy Bettencourt
05-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Yup and thats the issue... There are no dates sticking out at me. No additional things to pull me to an event. Just the same olde...

Sounds like you just ain't a racer. At this point in your 'career' most people are chomping at the bit to race anywhere, anytime against anyone.

Do the NHMS Triple and go from there.

Jeremy Billiel
05-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Yup Family is now the priority and I am no longer interesting in just driving rather looking for events that are so "good" that I would pass up time with the family to go to.

Ron Earp
05-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Sounds like you just ain't a racer. At this point in your 'career' most people are chomping at the bit to race anywhere, anytime against anyone.

Why race when you can get on the interwebz, bench race, and complain about your racing class? :)

Andy Bettencourt
05-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Then the Doubles at WGI would seem to be a great choice.

rhygin
05-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Ahh.... The double at the Glen is a long, long haul, but it one that am hoping to do if the job front comes around. That woudl be pretty sweet!

lateapex911
05-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Well, since you mastered the NHMS, get the car in the trailer and head to the Glen for the double. Leave the rig there, and then return, pick it up and do the IT fest at Mid Ohio. Then the Narrc Runoffs, always challenging, no easy trophy, . Then drive it to VIR in OCt for the Goblins Go, ...TONS of track time...(so much you can't do it ALL) and lots of ITS and ITA comp. Then leave the rig, pick up a $79 flight home and return two weeks later and make the short drive to Atlanta for the ARRC.
Rinse, repeat.

Great tracks, great competition, the real deal. You'll have done the two pemier IT events in teh country, and you'll have driven on the 3 best tracks on the east coast.

ulfelder
05-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Why race when you can get on the interwebz, bench race, and complain about your racing class? :)

WIN. roflmao :D

gran racing
05-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Or just go attend a few events to watch Greg race?

Family can be the number one priority and a person can still be able to race. It's not a bad thing to have some away time for parents and it'll reenergize you. Or better yet, have the family come to events with you (much easier once he's a little older than 2).

Labor Day event at Summit Point. TONS of track time, quite a bit catered to family stuff and kids. Melissa, Isaac and a few others will be heading off to D.C. during practice day. Wait, on second thought maybe I shouldn't have your wife give Melissa any bad ideas.

StephF
05-03-2010, 09:27 AM
I second the Glen and Summit suggestions. Sometimes you need to back off a bit to recharge yourself, just pick one or two fun events to do, new track, doubles, enduros, that sort of thing. You'll probably feel the racing gremlin rearing it's head again before too long and will be looking to do more.
Despite the interwebz chatter, almost none of us at this level of racing are truly pro or going pro, so there's no shame in making family or other events priority.
It's supposed to be fun, right? :023:

Jeremy Billiel
05-03-2010, 09:30 AM
WIN. roflmao :D

I could take the ITA miata approach to the situation.... :D

If you don't believe me build it and prove me wrong.

Andy Bettencourt
05-03-2010, 09:53 AM
I could take the ITA miata approach to the situation.... :D

If you don't believe me build it and prove me wrong.

You are killing us. Really. You guys haven't given it a real shot yet. We all know it. You know it. So stop whining about the car and the tracks and the events and get out on track and race. We don't care where or when, just do what you can within your fiscal and timing constraints. Enjoy what you can have. Cripes, you just rebuilt the car from the ground up, so you chose this car - TWICE.

Just go and try and have fun. If nothing jumps out at you, don't do anything.

Greg Amy
05-03-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm just wondering what'll happen first: Jeremy drives anything or Andy drives anywhere outside of home base... ;)

Jeremy ain't racin'; every time I see him with that kid in his arms he's got this s**t-eatin' grin on his face, and whenever I *do* get him to help on the car he's always worried about getting home...

Andy Bettencourt
05-03-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm just wondering what'll happen first: Jeremy drives anything or Andy drives anywhere outside of home base... ;)

Says the guy with no kids and an airplane. LOL

Dano77
05-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Just race something ,somewhere. Bring the kids and the wife,camp at the track and watch your kids terrorize all the Prod drivers. They really get nervous when the tricycles get near the 35 year old fender flares. Besides Its all about haveing fun. I ran the school saturday(sorry tGA) and had a 5 dollar muffler clamp loosen up sunday. Still had a blast and got back to what was fun.

This is coming from someone with alot of experience hateing his GT/SPO car and considering not doing it anymore.IT cars rule

Dan 77 IT7

gran racing
05-03-2010, 10:32 AM
every time I see him with that kid in his arms he's got this s**t-eatin' grin on his face,

Having that feeling doesn't force racing to be put aside.

Jeremy Billiel
05-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Guys - You are making it sound like I should only race and hate my child!

My current priority is my son. He is only 9 months old and until he gets older, can walk around easier, etc IMO its simply not worth trying to drag him to the track. Especially with the wife not excited about that idea.

Them are the breaks and YES I will drive this year, but I am looking strategically at it.

go_leafs_go
05-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Kudos to Jeremy, my build of my GSR has grinded to a halt with the 10 mo. old around, someday it will get done.

benspeed
05-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Do the Glen Jeremy - great track, easy on the equipment. Excellent place to knock off the rust - if you loop it chances are you won't hit anything. Great competition!

gran racing
05-03-2010, 12:08 PM

Where is anyone saying anything even remotely like that? You didn't race before you had a kid, you're not racing now, so what's the big deal? The only thing people here are saying is you not racing isn't just because of a child entering your life. Hey, didn't you start this post anyways?

If you actually want to race, next year will be much easier to have the boy involved or leave the wife home along with him. My wife is taking off next Fri because she knows just how much Isaac (2 yr old) will LOVE attending qualifying. Race = hate child? Don't think so dude. You choose to race or you don't; not really that tough.

CRallo
05-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Def some good suggustions here! I might take some of them and put them to use myself... :D

Do the Glen Jeremy - great track, easy on the equipment. Excellent place to knock off the rust - if you loop it chances are you won't hit anything. Great competition!

Are you forgetting where their old car was totalled!? :p

Dano77
05-03-2010, 12:46 PM
NO WAY engine issues with the #87 240sx? Cant be true. Youve got Kessler on retainer right? Problem solved dude.

Good luck we wish you the best with the new car,hopefully better luck than we had.

Nobody said to "hate kid,only race" I suggested both. Thats what is working for us. Everyone knows and has seen our girls running around the track as well as my brothers boys and many other children. We all know which kid is with which car and family,and pay attention to what is going on with said children. There is no larger "family" than the race track. And if anyone sees the girls can you tell me where I left them.

Dan 77 IT7

Doc Bro
05-03-2010, 01:55 PM

My current priority is my son. He is only 9 months old and until he gets older, can walk around easier, etc IMO its simply not worth trying to drag him to the track. Especially with the wife not excited about that idea.

Them are the breaks and YES I will drive this year, but I am looking strategically at it.

You CAN have both if you WANT both.

Lawson's first race was at NJMP- HE WAS 2 WEEKS OLD. It was cold, but we did great. Now he's 19 months old and goes to every race. His brother is Isaac who 's 41/2 months old has already been to his first race. We have 2 in diapers, and they come to every race......it's doable , but ONLY if you want it to be. Jeremy I think you need to come to grips with the fact that you're not really interested in racing anymore.

R

lateapex911
05-03-2010, 03:46 PM
You CAN have both if you WANT both.

Lawson's first race was at NJMP- HE WAS 2 WEEKS OLD. It was cold, but we did great. Now he's 19 months old and goes to every race. His brother is Isaac who 's 41/2 months old has already been to his first race. We have 2 in diapers, and they come to every race......it's doable , but ONLY if you want it to be. Jeremy I think you need to come to grips with the fact that you're not really interested in racing anymore.

R

Doc, your deal is a bit different than Jeremy's. YOUR wife is one of the friendliest, and most supportive women I've ever met. No knock on Jeremy's wife, at all, she's normal...LOL. Yours is out of the park.

Second, you have the motorhome and golf cart, which makes things a bit easier. Jeremy has an open trailer and tGA nagging him.

;)

The comment about nothing to hit at the Glen raised my eyebrows, as I always hear about the 'blue menace" guardrails. Now, I don't think twice about them, but many do. As for wrecking the car, the that was the work of tGA and his take no prisoners approach...Jeremy will be in the safety of the ITB group ;) so I'm not worried. ;)

Sorry bud, had to...;)

benspeed
05-03-2010, 04:01 PM
I always consider the Glen one of the tracks with fewer wrecks - that said, when they do happen - it's usually big because it's a fast track.

PS - I did forget that Jeremy's car was Ke-Runched at the Glen

Dano77
05-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Hey! What about our wives to. They are into racing and mine has fed you on occasion.

Sorry Jake ,had to do it.

Dan 77 IT7
Come To NHMS Jake,We're waitin on you.

Doc Bro
05-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Doc, your deal is a bit different than Jeremy's. YOUR wife is one of the friendliest, and most supportive women I've ever met. No knock on Jeremy's wife, at all, she's normal...LOL. Yours is out of the park.

Second, you have the motorhome and golf cart, which makes things a bit easier. Jeremy has an open trailer and tGA nagging him.

;)

Jake,

I agree with ALL of that!! Thank you for the kind words.

But, If it were up to me I wouldn't have a motor home....that's all part of the making it work.....it's all about the compromise for what your passionate about.

R

gran racing
05-03-2010, 04:10 PM
YOUR wife is one of the friendliest, and most supportive women I've ever met. No knock on Jeremy's wife, at all, she's normal...LOL. Yours is out of the park.

Rob, hopefully you've also made a mental note not to leave your poor wife alone with Jake.

Andy Bettencourt
05-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Rob, hopefully you've also made a mental note not to leave your poor wife alone with Jake.

Or me. But he already knows that. That is why they bring Snots to the track. LOL.

lateapex911
05-03-2010, 05:41 PM

he has NOTHING to worry about. His wife is smart. :)

lateapex911
05-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Hey! What about our wives to. They are into racing and mine has fed you on occasion.

Sorry Jake ,had to do it.

Dan 77 IT7
Come To NHMS Jake,We're waitin on you.

True that! Sorry to sleight you...but your wife grew up with you know who as a Dad...I doubt Doc Bros did! And certainly Jeremy's wife is new to it as well. I was just trying to defend Jeremy a BIT, LOL. What's happened to me!??

Jeremy Billiel
05-03-2010, 07:40 PM
LOL... You guys crack me up!!! And Jake how dare you bring rational thoughts into this conversation.

If you want me to admit that I am not willing to buy an RV, golf cart, etc to race than yes I admit it.

While I appreciate your thought Rob, your situation is a "little" different. If my wife had admenities it would sure be easier!

Do I want to race? Yup!
Do I like to race? Yup!
Do I want to mortgage my future for racing? Nope!

So I am looking for events that make sense for me.

Marcus Miller
05-03-2010, 08:07 PM
How about focusing on Enduros? lots of seat time, fewer events, more 'special' occasions for you and the fam -longer events typically mean someone has an RV, or you could rent an RV for the weekend....

Dano77
05-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Camping World is under ten miles from NHMS and I think they pick up and drop off.Kinda like enterprise. There are a few others around the track as well. Try looking it up and it will be easier to sell a regional at NHMS to her.

And dont forget the lakes region shopping,tax free and Tanger outlets in Conway. Motion Dynamics could drop her off on the way to the shop....

The three triples at NHMS are probably the best so far in the northeast as far as racing time goes. Practice on friday afternoon for 100 bucks is pretty cheap and youll be set to qualify sat am and race the rest of the weekend. I think the afternoon gets cheaper as the day goes on,like 20 bucks per session less.

Added bonus with renting the RV,you can not invite Greg in if you want.

Dan

Doc Bro
05-03-2010, 09:40 PM
While I appreciate your thought Rob, your situation is a "little" different. If my wife had admenities it would sure be easier!

My situation is different in mny ways, I understand and agree some, and disagree some.

First an RV doesn't require a second mortgage...Ben just got one for a good deal....there is NO market in RV's right now.

You don't need the RV Taj, mines a '96.

Second for the cost of several sets of sticker tires you could have one. And you could further use it for family trips. We are going on three separate camping trips this summer to use the RV and have family time. It's a lot cheaper than plane tickets and hotels, so you'll recoup cost there.

And most importantly...I'm no Bill Gates here, but we are talking about racing cars...not a hobby for guys with no discretionary income....if it were a priority for you , you could make it work. I think.

And lastly, for Jake and Andy....she likes bald guys (thank God)!!

R

Andy Bettencourt
05-03-2010, 09:42 PM
situation is a "little" different. If my wife had admenities it would sure be easier!

Do I want to race? Yup!
Do I like to race? Yup!

So I am looking for events that make sense for me.

And every person on the BB has those same constraints. It's a question we can't help you with. YOU decide whats right for you...since you didn't give us really anything for information to 'help' you with.

If you like to race and have limited time, do some Pro IT events. In and out in one day at some tracks with plenty of IT cars to race against.

StephenB
05-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Jeremy, everyone is telling me the same thing will happen to me but I really think its not a choice the kids make or a choice you make. Its a choice you and your wife make. I am lucky... my wife likes racing and couldn't imagine taking anything I love to do away from me. I grew up in the pits of bryar and can't imagine it a different way. The way I look at it is that WE, my wife and I, enjoy taking trips together and we always explore something new when we go. ( like atlantic city when we visit NJ or the vinyards around glen NY) For me growing up our family vacations were leaving a day early and visiting places like Niagara falls on the way to the glen or hitting Hershey park on the way to summit. Don't forget about your anunual trip to steamtown PA as well! I do not have the personal experience as a father but as a kid I always looked forward to those trips! Good luck in your decision WITH your wife. I encourage you to make them fun trips with family and friends and you'll never feel like your dragging them along or picking racing over him or her.

Stephen

StephenB
05-03-2010, 10:43 PM
I almost forgot... for me this year I am only doing a few races to spend a little extra on my new car. I decided to pick the races with the highest car counts in my class for the best "racing" I could find. For me track time means less to me than a great race with a full field. I was born to race not lap!

Stephen blethen

lateapex911
05-04-2010, 12:43 AM

R

Go figure!
;)

ner88
05-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Bald Guys? What?

Andy Bettencourt
05-04-2010, 07:19 AM

R

The beauty of having hair is that we can go back and forth.... LMAO!

gran racing
05-04-2010, 08:33 AM
My version of Stephen's: My wife doesn't like racing, cringes when she hears the vroom, vroom sounds, hates racing tires even more and couldn't imagine taking anything I love to do away from me.

Jeremy, it's all about making it work for the family. Melissa and I were talking about this year's schedule. She asked when I'll be going to the Glen? And it's not because she likes the track. LOL Last year she and Isaac went to some nearby animal petting farm. There's also the NY park which is pretty awesome. Then there's the lake and a boat ride. Lots of stuff to keep her and the boy happy. If she's not into that, figure out other tracks that work better. Summit Point equals a trip to D.C. for Melissa.

lateapex911
05-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Bald Guys? What?

Hey, dude, you're IN!
Plus, you're the big cheese, and you've got those groovy glasses!
(You might consider a one up approach though, so you'll need to get a bigger newer and nicer RV, and trade the race car in for something by Porsche...)

benspeed
05-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Dave Gran - my wife is on the same page as yours - hates it but wouldn't ever consider asking me to stop. She figures I'd go for something worse like amatuer space travel...

lateapex911
05-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Ben, in your line of work, "Corporate entertainment" is probably a threat to her, LOL. Just utter the phrase, "could be hookers and blow", and car racing looks like it's as healthy an outlet as coaching Little League!

Ed Funk
05-04-2010, 01:58 PM
As some of you here know, I've got a really good deal....my wife is into racing, maybe more than me at my advanced age! When we only had one car, it sometimes was an issue for me to get some seat time!

That said, all through the '80s and first half of the '90s I was with my second wife and mother of my daughter. She did not like racing at all, tho to be fair, she tried. She didn't like the noise and dirt. Her next husband was a Harley rider...go figure!

I restarted Auto-X in the early '80s and then COM time trials by '84 and racing in '89, during that time I let motorsports be more important than family....big mistake! My daughter is now 32 and we have a reasonably good relationship, but there were times that we had virtually none. I screwed up!!

Jeremy, choose family over racing. Don't stop racing, just go for quality over quantity, pick events where the competition will be good or pick tracks that you've always dreamed of driving. Two events per year keeps your license. In a few years it will be easier to take your son to the track, and if it hasn't been a big hassle, he may even start to enjoy it and want to get involved. Kids grow up so damn fast enjoy as many moments as you can, I wish I had!!

Anyway, Amy is propably going to wear that car out!

ner88
05-04-2010, 03:27 PM
I walked away from racing in 1976, (yah, I know) to get a life!
I have no regrets, it needed to be done.
I came back in 2001 with family in tow.
This weekend at the track was one of the best ever. My son, PJ, (sorry, he goes by Paul now) did his first drivers school, in fact if you watched the first race on Saturday, you might of even seen him lead from T6 to T12.
I hope you all have an opportunity to experience and share your passion with a family member as I have!

Jeremy Billiel
05-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Hey look at that... 2 reasonable responses!

So back to my original question: I want quality over quantity... Perhaps IT Fest and Double at WGI

BruceG
05-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Dave Gran - my wife is on the same page as yours - hates it but wouldn't ever consider asking me to stop. She figures I'd go for something worse like amatuer space travel...

And she knows about the strippers in the new RV?....LOL

lateapex911
05-04-2010, 10:45 PM

So back to my original question: I want quality over quantity... Perhaps IT Fest and Double at WGI
Dude! Where's the love! I gave you two reasonable responses! No credit for that? :( I guess that means that won't happen again, waffle boy! ;)

StephenB
05-04-2010, 11:22 PM

Where are your racing friends racing? That would be my first choice... then if I am going without the family I guess for me it would be somewhere within 5 or 6 hr's tow... after that it becomes an all day drive that I don't like to do alone. Then I break it down to competition. For you ITS is awesome in the local Pro-it series and usually at the NARRC RUNOFFS. for me in ITB we never had more than a few cars in Pro-it but NARRC events always have a good turnout. So for me I have gone for the NARRC races this year and the glen double is my number 1 pick followed by the big one... the NARRC runoffs.

Good luck,
Stephen

Jeremy Billiel
05-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Dude! Where's the love! I gave you two reasonable responses! No credit for that? :( I guess that means that won't happen again, waffle boy! ;)

You got credit above Jake! :happy204:

dickita15
05-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Where are your racing friends racing? That would be my first choice...
Stephen

Yea but look how Jeremy’s friends treat him. That is probably not his first consideration.

Doc Bro
05-05-2010, 07:26 AM

So Jeremy,

Your definition of reasonable is when someone supports your POV and all other POVs are unreasonable. Dude, a mind and a parachute operate on the same principle....they must be open to work properly.

Think outside the box, it can be done ...you just don't want it. You're just not WILLING to make the sacrifices to make it work....and that's OK.

But, and it's an important but, don't insult all of us who have made the sacrifice to be dads and race, by saying our responses on how to do it with sucess are unreasonable. And don't insult the event organizers who have voluntarily sacrificed their time to run these events. Just because they don't fit your "definition" of appealing or quality doesn't mean someone didn't put a lot of effort into it. Asking someone to define a "quality" event for you is like asking someone to book a surprise perfect vacation for you. How can someone else define quality for you?????? What if you go to IT Fest and have a miserable time??? Was that quality? What if you went to NHMS and won and got to be back home on Sunday afternoon?? Was that quality???

I say sell the car and fund your son's CHET account.......you wanted to sell it before. We'll all still be here when you get back.

R

gran racing
05-05-2010, 07:34 AM

I wasn't going to say it before but honestly....watch SpeedTv or Versus. Lots of good racing there. Nothing is wrong with not having the drive to go racing, but this has been your choice for as long as I've know you. I also agree with what Rob said in his last post.

Dano77
05-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Ditto. We gave you the possable answers and you didnt want to hear that. Sell the car and watch SPEED.
Dan

JLawton
05-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Man, I can't believe this thread has gone to a second page!! :rolleyes:

Greg Amy
05-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Sell the car and watch SPEED.
Yeah, but please don't stop paying for half of everything...

:happy204:

Do the Triple, dude. I'm not, and it appears I may have volunteered myself to be Chief of Tech for that event (be very skeered...)

Greg Amy
05-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Added bonus with renting the RV,you can not invite Greg in if you want.
I'm seein' a throw-down comin' your way, bud... ;)

Jeremy Billiel
05-05-2010, 10:34 AM
The problem with the majority of the responses IMO is your situation is not the norm. When other's don't WANT to do what you do does not mean I should or half to hang up the suit and call it a day. All I simply said was there are no events that look interesting to ME. How did this thread get into ripping me a new one?

Doc Bro
05-05-2010, 10:42 AM
The problem with the majority of the responses IMO is your situation is not the norm. When other's don't WANT to do what you do does not mean I should or half to hang up the suit and call it a day. All I simply said was there are no events that look interesting to ME. How did this thread get into ripping me a new one?

What makes our "situation" so differnet than yours? We have kids and want to race....am I missing something?

R

Dano77
05-05-2010, 11:10 AM
If it seems like I'm beating you up,sorry. Sarcasim dosent work on the internet. Cheer up little camper....

Man this is easy and your a good target today. Pick what is fun and do it the best you can,if that means you don't race this year,so what. Pete Smith takes bribes,errrr payments for a waiver and race next year or so. We were mearly giving you some real world advice from first hand knowledge. Sorry its not what you intended buddy.

sorry that slipped out.

What are you gonna throw down Greg? You obviously threw out the anchor saturday afternoon at the start. What else you got??

Once again sorry. this is hard to do without sarcasim.

Kinder,Genteler Dan

Ed Funk
05-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Kinder,Genteler Dan

Yeah, right!:D