PDA

View Full Version : May 2nd NER Opening Day Regional

StephenB
04-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Hello fellow IT drivers! I know that several of the drivers from NER lurk here and I was wondering if you would support the proposed idea of grouping together all cars from group 3 and group 8 together. That would be all IT cars including IT7, A,B,C,S,R and SS/ T3. Total that is currently only 19 cars on a track that is long enough to support 36. By doing this the region could provide more track time and more exciting racing on the track for both the drivers and the workers.

Thoughts...

Stephen

PS: I know we rag on miatas but so far they make up 22 of the 66 entries this weekend!

MMiskoe
04-18-2010, 10:38 PM
With car counts the way they are, fine w/ me.

Split start perhaps or an understanding of who cares if they race in or out of class? I don't care who I race against as long as there aren't hard feelings afterwards that the person I was racing was not in my class.

Matt

Andy Bettencourt
04-19-2010, 08:25 AM
More track time may provide the value you need to see some increased entires. A non-NARRC single will be low in car count.

JLawton
04-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Any know how many are signed up for the school?

MMiskoe
04-19-2010, 08:29 PM
So few I was going to suggest to the chief instructor it might be good to combine the closed wheel groups as the day progresses. Its going to be hard to teach people how to pass when there are only a few cars on track.

I think when I looked last night it was about 18 total.

ner88
04-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Stephen
Should we add the extra time to that run group, making a 40 minute race(+or-) or add 5 minutes to each run group?

gran racing
04-20-2010, 08:12 AM
You know what Stephen will say. :) A bit unfair to the other equally paying run groups though.

StephenB
04-20-2010, 10:19 AM
You know what Stephen will say. :) A bit unfair to the other equally paying run groups though.

Actually you may be surprised : )

I would actually suggest 3 12min "test sessions" 1 for all miatas ( since they are the largest group), 1 for closed wheel, and 1 for open wheel. For many this is the first day of the year, and it is the first NER regional. I think the drivers would love the ability to shake out the cobwebs before qualifying. Track would never go "cold" instead as the last car passes turn 11 the next group goes directly out.

If others were for it I was going to e-mail Kathy.

Stephen

PS: a friend is driving not me...

supersmile
04-20-2010, 10:57 AM
I would actually suggest 3 12min "test sessions" 1 for all miatas ( since they are the largest group), 1 for closed wheel, and 1 for open wheel. For many this is the first day of the year, and it is the first NER regional. I think the drivers would love the ability to shake out the cobwebs before qualifying. Track would never go "cold" instead as the last car passes turn 11 the next group goes directly out.

If others were for it I was going to e-mail Kathy.

Excellent idea! Back in the distant past that's how this event was run, and having time to do a few laps in the car for the first time of the year is a nice way to double check all the prep work. The test day being on a Thursday is difficult (for me, anyway) to attend.

Andy Bettencourt
04-20-2010, 11:46 AM
To present the opposite view:

HORRIBLE IDEA!!! :) If you want to test, attend a test day, or a DE day, or an SCDA day. We RACE on weekends. I even think qualifying should be cut down to allow for more race time.

To address the orginal question: I see three positions.

1. IT combines it's groups and gets the track time to themsleves. They make the sacrifice, they get the beneifit.

2. IT combines it's groups and everyone gets a couple more laps. It's not REALLY fair to not allow the fully subscribed classes/groups to share in the bonus, heck, they are filling up their groups.

3. The powers that be need to combine run groups proactively when and where it makes sense to maximize track time and value. I know the open wheelers hate this, but to have only 8 cars in each group is a monumental waste of track time.

YMMV.

lateapex911
04-20-2010, 01:05 PM
IF the group gets extra track time, like 40 minutes, I'd hate for it to be all one race. likely boring for many. So, I'd want two 12 lap (or whatever) raes. Winner crosses finish line, gets checker, slows way down. Pace car rolls and picks him up. Cars fill in as they finish. Pace car leads them though NASCAR 3/4, pulls off at Pit IN, two by two formation in NASCAR 4, second race starts. No between race cleanup, if you spin/crash/stall, whatever and can't restart, you lose, that's life.

Issues are significant, but workable. Idiot drivers don't form up right. Drivers meeting, clear instructions (it's not THAT hard, we do it every time we race anyway) should solve that. tires are already hot, so no weaving needed, just get in your spot.. Lapped cars. Without stopping and regridding, it will be impossible to get them to the back. So what. let them get a bonus. It will add an interesting dimension to the opening laps. (This aspect won't be popular among the rote thinkers). The moving of pylons to open/close NASCAR 3/4. Not that hard, the pace car knows where to go so it's really only having the flaggers move 2 or 3 cones, pretty easy.

Benefit, closer racing, more fun. Heck award just one trophy for all I care.

OR, if the whole gridding /lap car issue is too annoying to some, bring the group back later in the day. But that wastes time in grid, 5 minute warning, track clean up, etc.

Essentially, this is a mid race double yellow, but the formation goes from single file to two by two with a legit start.

lawtonglenn
04-21-2010, 12:02 PM
I agree with Jake and Andy :happy204:

Glenn