PDA

View Full Version : Who the he11 hit me?

LIRacer
04-17-2010, 11:09 AM
At NHMS friday April 9th in the second afternoon closed wheel practice session, I had just been flagged onto the track by the corner worker, passed an SRF in turn 2 and was braking / down shifting for turn 3 when I was rear ended, spun, hit again and thrown into the tire wall just at the turn. I was driving a Silver and Blue Autotechnic 325is, number 52.

Strangely, no one in my garage saw the actual hit even though they were all watching. We think it was a yellow Mustang that punted me into the wall. The guy didn't even come to the garage afterwards to see if I was ok, which I wasn't. The car needs an entire rear clip, plus we have to see about the frame. It was only a rental for me, which I was testing to buy.

I have raced for years in SRF and I understand that when you are on the track you're at your own risk, but to be coming into a hairpin turn on a rainy test day, with so much speed that you hit and possibly total another car simply does not make any sense.

Does anyone have any videos of that hit? I just want to see what happened.

Thanks....

RacerBill
04-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your incident. Not seeing who tagged you is a bummer. One of the reasons I have a camera mounted facing backwards. Have caught at least one punter!

BruceG
04-17-2010, 01:19 PM
At NHMS friday April 9th in the second afternoon closed wheel practice session, I had just been flagged onto the track by the corner worker, passed an SRF in turn 2 and was braking / down shifting for turn 3 when I was rear ended, spun, hit again and thrown into the tire wall just at the turn. I was driving a Silver and Blue Autotechnic 325is, number 52.

Strangely no one in my garage saw the actual hit even though they were all watching. We think it was a yellow Mustang that hit me. The guy didn't even come to the garage afterwards to see if I was ok, which I wasn't. The car needs an entire rear clip, plus we have to see about the frame. It was only a rental for me, which I was testing to buy.

I have raced years in SRF and I understand that when you are on the track you're at risk, but to be coming into a hairpin turn on a rainy test day, with so much speed that you hit and possibly total another car simply does not make any sense.

Does anyone have any videos of that hit? I just want to see what happened.

Thanks....

Have you checked with the corner workers. Last summer at LRP I got wacked after going under the bridge and the workers at station 11 had recorded the incident. Perhaps their chief may have a record of it. The person who hit me never came forward, either and I let it go as racing room but it shouldn't have happened either. Good luck!!

dickita15
04-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Have you checked with the corner workers. Last summer at LRP I got wacked after going under the bridge and the workers at station 11 had recorded the incident. Perhaps their chief may have a record of it. The person who hit me never came forward, either and I let it go as racing room but it shouldn't have happened either. Good luck!!
bruce it was a test day. none of that applies.

BruceG
04-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Gotcha,Dick.......I missed that part...LOL

LD71
04-19-2010, 01:58 PM
I wasn't there, but I understand your frustration. I hit another car at NHMS several years ago under similar circumstances--I have tried to talk with the driver a number of times and offerred apologies. It's the right thing to do, but I can understand that he never wants to talk to me. Hopefully the guy who hit you will step forward, but there's no way to make up for it.
LD71 :D

BruceG
04-19-2010, 03:24 PM
I wasn't there, but I understand your frustration. I hit another car at NHMS several years ago under similar circumstances--I have tried to talk with the driver a number of times and offerred apologies. It's the right thing to do, but I can understand that he never wants to talk to me. Hopefully the guy who hit you will step forward, but there's no way to make up for it.
LD71 :D

Wise of you to come forward and try to make amends. "Usually" goes a long way towards making up for an incident.

LIRacer
04-19-2010, 04:21 PM
The estimate just came in, $8500 to repair.:mad1::mad1:

Knestis
04-19-2010, 05:44 PM
So bear with me for a second...

You find out who hit you - what changes?

It "doesn't make any sense" but that applies to everything we do after sending in our entry fee. How does knowing make anything different?

K

dj10
04-19-2010, 06:14 PM
The estimate just came in, $8500 to repair.:mad1::mad1:

Wow! What the hell got damaged!!??

dave parker
04-19-2010, 08:11 PM
I would say that if you don't know whom the other party is by now, you will never know.

Did you walk around and look at the other cars at the event after your incident?
Obviously, it is too late now.

I agree with Kirk, why does it matter now?

cheers
dave parker

lateapex911
04-19-2010, 08:13 PM
.... The car needs an entire rear clip, plus we have to see about the frame. It was only a rental for me, which I was testing to buy.

Thanks....

It was a rental, so he's liable for the damage as charged by the renter. So, they need to replace a lot of sufff it seems, and they need to make a profit = $8500..?

Knestis
04-19-2010, 10:59 PM
When the labor isn't free, racing costs a lot more...

K

GKR_17
04-20-2010, 12:07 AM
This is probably a bit calous, and I only have a few of the facts, but it sure seems you showed a lack of awareness in this situation. It may be completely the other guy's fault, or maybe you took his nose off at turn in? Maybe the SRF you just passed had a good view of the whole thing.

gran racing
04-20-2010, 08:06 AM
How does knowing make anything different?

I'd want to know for serveral reasons. Maybe there's another side to the story and he/she has video showing that I made a mistake causing the wreck. The reality of situations can easily be skewed by ones own perspective. Or maybe the driver is just a jerk and you want to know to be especially cautious around them the next time. There are also other good reasons.

At some point I do agree it's gotta be chaulked up to just one of those things and put it behind you. Then again, that is a heafty bill!!

Greg Amy
04-20-2010, 08:20 AM
...it's gotta be chaulked up to just one of those things and put it behind you. Then again, that is a heafty bill!!
I think where Kirk is going with this is that knowledge of the situation does not change that hefty bill. I may be wrong, but I'm inferring slight hints of a "this guy's gonna owe me some money!" kinda thing, something we all know is wrong...

And, at an $8500 repair bill, I'd suggest buying the whole damn car at the pre-arranged buy-out/total price, and either parting it out to recoup your money or repairing it yourself and keeping/selling it. You guys got all those details agreed-upon in advance...right...? - GA

LIRacer
04-20-2010, 04:32 PM
So bear with me for a second...

You find out who hit you - what changes?

It "doesn't make any sense" but that applies to everything we do after sending in our entry fee. How does knowing make anything different?

K

It changes nothing. I'd like to see the hit so I can see what happened. Maybe I think I was hit harder than I was. Autotechnic found someone with a video. The offending car was a yellow mustang. I am waiting to get a copy.

Speed Raycer
04-20-2010, 04:43 PM
+1 (or is it 2 now) for buying the wrecked car. I'm betting a good 6K of that is bodyshop labor.

Doc Bro
04-20-2010, 04:52 PM
And, As I told Hendo the other day I've got a parts car with a perfect rear clip for $500, Should fix that up nice....come get it.

R

dj10
04-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Damn the cost of living is HIGH in the upper NE!! I know a guy who bought a whole damn car for 2600.00 less engine & diff. That's a BMW 325is too.

pitbull113
04-20-2010, 06:39 PM
If you were testing to buy it do so it will be cheaper in the long run.

benspeed
04-21-2010, 09:22 AM
I'm thinking Bruce wants to know who it is so he can drink a 6 pack and then take a good long pee on that guys seat!

LIRacer
04-21-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm thinking Bruce wants to know who it is so he can drink a 6 pack and then take a good long pee on that guys seat!

LOL....you figured my true motive out!

LIRacer
04-21-2010, 10:06 AM
and, as i told hendo the other day i've got a parts car with a perfect rear clip for $500, should fix that up nice....come get it.

R

e36?

Andy Bettencourt
04-21-2010, 10:14 AM
All this hubb-bubb I want to see the video!

Doc Bro
04-21-2010, 10:36 AM
e36?

Yup, coupe '94.

R

lateapex911
04-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Nice offer, Rob.

LIRacer
04-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Yup, coupe '94.

R

Any pictures? Is it half a car on a frame or are the parts separate? If you have paictures, please send them to [email protected]

Thanks

Doc Bro
04-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Bruce,

I sent pics to Jeff sunday or monday after the race and your incident. It's a complete car minus some parts (diff, interior, etc.) Never been hit, auto, 2.5 with bad head gasket.

R

ed325its
04-21-2010, 07:00 PM

Ben, Telling your secrets?

rthiele
04-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Ben you are cracking me up!

I know nothing changes the fact that the car is damaged, but it is never too late for a lesson learned e.g. how about stopping by after an incident and talk.

for me this is bad style, even if there is no fault. People who leave havoc behind themselves and don't give a shit are wrong in club racing. Let's keep people accountable and tell them that we do not appreciate that behavior. How can you not care about other people's health and wallet and just go home as if nothing happened?!

JLawton
04-22-2010, 07:22 AM
I also hope that Bruce doesn't take this as being normal for the IT guys in the Northeast. Not sure if this Mustang was an IT car but generally this group is good about working through "issues" like this.

LIRacer
04-22-2010, 07:29 AM
I also hope that Bruce doesn't take this as being normal for the IT guys in the Northeast. Not sure if this Mustang was an IT car but generally this group is good about working through "issues" like this.

I have found almost everyone in SCCA and car guys in general are good people. One of the reasons I race is the entire experience of camping at the track (ok, a 36 ft RV isn't exactly camping) and hanging out with other racers. Judging by the reaction to this thread, I feel the IT guys are a group that care about each other, not unlike my SRF friends.

dj10
04-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Bruce,

I sent pics to Jeff sunday or monday after the race and your incident. It's a complete car minus some parts (diff, interior, etc.) Never been hit, auto, 2.5 with bad head gasket.

R

Rob, you a class act. :023:

NutDriverRighty
05-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Just as food for thought, my brother and I have always agreed that we won't take anything on the track that we can't afford to have become a 100% write-off. Guess that explains why I'm in IT7 and SPU!

Scott

+ however many to buying at the pre-arranged price and parting or rebuilding.
We rented an SM and the totallled cost for it was $12K. $8500 for the fix sounds steep to me.