PDA

View Full Version : what seat would you get?

StephenB
03-22-2010, 07:35 PM
I am wondering what seats everyone likes and would recommend for under $1000. My wife wants me safe and gave me that as a limit!

Stephen

Greg Amy
03-22-2010, 07:40 PM
An FIA-test and -certified one, definitely not one of those cheesy sheet-metal ones.

Go sit in a bunch, see for yourself what you like. - GA

lateapex911
03-22-2010, 07:41 PM
I'd look at racetechs, Momos, OMPs, etc. The fit will be the most critical issue, so you'll have to test sit them. Mounting rules have been opened up so give that some thought as well. And finally, consider egress ease.

StephenB
03-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Any good ideas on where to try them? I wish racarama wasn't over!

Greg Amy
03-22-2010, 07:52 PM
I'll have a RaceTech at the NHMS National and School/Regional, and I'd bet that a whole lotta other examples will be there for the askin'...

chuck baader
03-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Go look in peoples cars and ask to sit in their seats. My size requires a larger seat, and I got lucky with the Sparco Evo2 FA (fat ass). That seat is very comfortable and supportive. Now, extra safety dictates the head halo, but it can be very restrictive in entry/egress. Simply for that reason I would not buy one because I could not get out of the seat in a reasonable amount of time (and NASA thinks you should be able to get out in 10 seconds or less:o) Trial fit and get the one that feels the best...you should be able to fall asleep on the grid, as I do on occasion. Chuck

mbuskuhl
03-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Sparco Pro Adv here. If that's too big, Sparco Circut Pro and if you are really thin, a Sparco Circuit.

Saferacer has a 110% price guarantee. There is also a 10% discount code if you do a Google search.

Andy Bettencourt
03-22-2010, 10:08 PM
We should have 2 or 3 RaceTechs in boxes at the shop ready to go into new builds. Every car we support also has RaceTechs.

Sandro
03-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Sparco Circuit or similar style by another brand

I can sit in it and drive, dont have to worry about bracing myself, and the head bolsters are a good safety feature.

joeg
03-23-2010, 07:41 AM
If you are a larger size, Go German.

Recaro or Koenig.

almracing
03-23-2010, 08:50 AM
I use a Racetech 4009WHR and love it! You'll need the W - wide version - if you have a waist over 34". The HR is head restraint. It is not much more than your budget and extremely comfortable. If you come up North I would be glad to let you sit in the car. Just don't push any buttons... lol.

rsportvolvo
03-23-2010, 10:10 AM
I recently purchased a Racetech RT4009WHRV. Here's my reasoning for selecting this seat.

- Side head restraint - lateral support
- Side shoulder restraint - lateral support keeps my torso supported with the rest of my body and doesn't push my shoulders forward
- 6-point mounting configuration (more load paths)
- Fit - I tested just about every seat on display at the '09 PRI show and the Racetech was the best fit. I do plan on getting a foam insert made for additional protection.

This seat was part of the Viper Comp Coupe safety package that had some safety heavy hitters involved. Additionally this seat was the basis for the new FIA spec, albeit beefed up a bit. Those points are not deal makers/breakers, but they give me more confidence in the seats ability to protect me.

I was considering other seats based on cost, but my Dad reminded me that safety is first. Skimp on other areas and go for broke on safety equipment. I can always upgrade brakes, engine, tires, shocks, etc. later if I'm alive.

Jeremy Billiel
03-23-2010, 01:51 PM
I use a Racetech 4009WHR and love it! You'll need the W - wide version - if you have a waist over 34". The HR is head restraint. It is not much more than your budget and extremely comfortable. If you come up North I would be glad to let you sit in the car. Just don't push any buttons... lol.

LOL... I just sat in our new 4009HR and damn I need to loose that weight I gained as its damn snug!!! Last night I had to finally admit defeat and jump on the treadmill. :D:D

xr4racer
03-23-2010, 09:42 PM
David, where did you get the seat? The v version is well over the threads budget, say over double. I am not saying it is not a seat that everyone would like to have just that it does not apply here.

matt

JLawton
03-24-2010, 07:09 AM
I had crappy seats in my first few race cars. The latest one came with a Recaro. I would never have dreamed that a seat can make that much of a difference. Not only does it hold really well but I FEEL safer. I like having that halo around my head.

I'll never skimp on a seat again.

DoubleXL240Z
03-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Try the Ultrashield full containment as well (very reasonable and safe) there is a guy on racingjunk.com ( don't say it Greg!) selling them for 533 delivered!! Almost enough left over to get a sport hans as well!!!

rsportvolvo
03-24-2010, 10:01 AM
David, where did you get the seat? The v version is well over the threads budget, say over double. I am not saying it is not a seat that everyone would like to have just that it does not apply here.

matt
Matt,

I bought the seat as a packaged deal from Apex Performance. I picked a price I wanted to pay and basically made shops bid for my business. CDOC had a last years RT4009HRV for @ $1400, but it's too tight a fit for me. I did pay more than the threads budget, but that is a result of rethinking the importance of safety. I read quite a few articles of how seat selection and seat fit affect driver safety. That is why I ended up springing for the Viper seat.

jimbbski
03-24-2010, 08:23 PM
I have an OMP Grip. Lightweight, FIA cert. easy to get in and out. and the price was resonable.

tderonne
03-26-2010, 12:08 PM
I recently purchased a Racetech RT4009WHRV. Here's my reasoning for selecting this seat.

This seat was part of the Viper Comp Coupe safety package that had some safety heavy hitters involved. Additionally this seat was the basis for the new FIA spec, albeit beefed up a bit. Those points are not deal makers/breakers, but they give me more confidence in the seats ability to protect me.

It's important to note that the Viper seat (and it's closely related versions, like wide and the FIA version) are the ONLY Racetech seats built like they are. Their other seats are comparable to the rest of the stuff on the market, and only meet the older FIA standard, which is "lower" than any car you can buy at a dealer has to meet.

mossaidis
03-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Don't have much experience here though I am happy with my first purchase, a Momo Daytona. The advise here is right on... sample... sample... sample! The Daytona does have a head restraint as well and could be purchased for less than $750.

robits325is
03-26-2010, 12:42 PM
RaceTech is the way to go.

Xian
03-26-2010, 10:27 PM
x2 on sitting in them... it's really the only way to decide. For me, the Recaro Pro-Racer XL was the way to go. I loved the Racetech's but the Recaro was even more comfortable and about the same price IIRC. Jeremy Lucas with FastTech can get them for a really good price.

If you're looking for Momo, Louis at LTB can get their stuff cheaper than anyone else I've ever been able to find.

StephenB
04-08-2010, 12:57 AM
I tried a racetech 4009hr today and i loved it! However I have searched high and low and the racetech is $1300 plus $200 for mounts making it a real stretch with the wife and a little one coming in October... can I get it yes... will the family be happy, not at all.

I tried the recaro today and disliked it as it was very tight.

I did some more research and I saw that TeamDI sells sabelt which makes the Taurus that has head supports. I know this is a very popular seat in the rally world but has anyone here tried it? Better yet anyone here have one I can sit in? I saw an advertisement as low as $639 for this seat and the brackets were $80 bucks...

Thanks
Stephen

rsportvolvo
04-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I tried a racetech 4009hr today and i loved it! However I have searched high and low and the racetech is $1300 plus $200 for mounts making it a real stretch with the wife and a little one coming in October... can I get it yes... will the family be happy, not at all.

I did some more research and I saw that TeamDI sells sabelt which makes the Taurus that has head supports. I know this is a very popular seat in the rally world but has anyone here tried it? Better yet anyone here have one I can sit in? I saw an advertisement as low as $639 for this seat and the brackets were $80 bucks...

Thanks
Stephen

Never pay retail for racing gear! Every shop has some leeway, make 'em use it. This is especially true if you purchase multiple items, like a seat, seat mounts, and harness. Trust me, I got a deal on mine.

JLawton
04-08-2010, 07:01 PM

Um, maybe it's not the seat......................

:p

StephenB
04-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Um, maybe it's not the seat......................

:p

Trying to keep the ballast on the drivers side as low as possible. : ) I should have known better about saying the seat was to tight. :)

itmanta
04-10-2010, 08:05 PM
This is the most comfortable seat I have used in 20+ years of racing. I can literally fall asleep in it on grid. Full of great features and very safe. The reasonable price makes it a fantastic deal.

http://www.subesports.com/products/cat/Seats/brand/Cobra/prodID/653

Z3_GoCar
04-11-2010, 08:19 PM
This is the most comfortable seat I have used in 20+ years of racing. I can literally fall asleep in it on grid. Full of great features and very safe. The reasonable price makes it a fantastic deal.

http://www.subesports.com/products/cat/Seats/brand/Cobra/prodID/653

Sorry Pete,

But.....

1) I would not buy a cobra seat....

and

2) I would not buy from Sube sports......

for reference see how they treated a customer with a defective seat:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19090240&postcount=1

Jack Hall
04-11-2010, 08:35 PM
I looked for a way to avoid the cost of a RaceTech seat and sat in every manufacturers seat at PRI last December. I sampled everything in the building. I just could not get anything to compare with the fit and comfort of the Race Tech( I am 5'10" and 190lbs). Many of the seats were waaayyy too tight, and none of them had the support under my legs like the RaceTech. Sooo.. I bought the RaceTech 4009WHR.

StephenB
04-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I ended up getting a sabelt Taurus XL from teamdi (driving impressions ) it has head restraints, made to fit a hans, and cost just over $900 with the mounts. I think at 5'8 I am the smallest person that could fit in it but I think it will do the trick. It felt good to support Bob as well since he has done so much for the racers in the NE. I am also getting a Hans so with the Hans and the seat I will have spent the same as the racetech and I don't think it was a huge compromise in safety.

Stephen