PDA

View Full Version : Source for over axle pipe without resonator?

GTIspirit
03-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Anyone know where I can get an over axle exhaust pipe without resonator for a Golf 2 16V? I'm looking for 2" or 2-1/4" because I don't want the backpressure so low that I lose mid-rpm response.

The Techtonics ones have the resonator built into the over axle pipe and it doesn't appear to be an option to get one without resonator, at least the guy at Techtonics I spoke to didn't offer that option.
http://www.rapidparts.com/Catalog/L063-253410.JPG
I've thought about doing a side exit exhaust, but have some reservations about that. And the car will be driven on the street to the track, unfortunately no tow vehicle in the garage.....

Anyone running a Mk2 exhaust out the back with a source for over axle pipe without resonator, like is available on the Mk1?

shwah
03-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Call Techtonics and ask them. They made these in the past.

I make my own using a pair of 45 deg mandrel bends, and careful alignment/hanging of the whole system.

dave parker
03-15-2010, 08:58 PM
When we built our A2 cars we would go to the local shop that did custom exhaust and had a pipe bender. We had the header and the "flex joint" on the car and said "Make us an exhaust that fits this car, and has a two bolt flange for the muffler so that we can remove when needed". The first one that they made worked for about two seasons. The second that they made survived two years and three and a half rolls in T6 at Summit Point.
I got out of A2 cars and have not needed a third.

cheers
dave parker

joeg
03-16-2010, 08:42 AM
I build my own--cut and weld assorted straight pipes and U-Bends--but the muffler shop bender is the best choice if you do not have a welder.

shwah
03-16-2010, 11:23 AM
You can buy mandrel bends from Summit and Jegs - slip fit works fine.

Sandro
03-16-2010, 02:23 PM
try checking with Raffi at Eurosport.

For the MK1 they make a Race exhaust(I have it), dont see one listed for a MKII but Raffi has a MKII 16v that he runs in ITA, so they might have something, or just replace their street version with a straight pipe.

jay05
03-16-2010, 02:50 PM
I had a local shop bend one up for $50. Just take the old one up to mirror. What about cutting off just past the driver and putting a turn down in?

rx7chris
03-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Just built a complete system for the bug with bends and pipe from columbia river. With the muffler and having an exhaust shop stretch some pipe think i spent about $250 for the whole thing.

GTIspirit
03-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Cool, thanks for the ideas! I had checked the Eurosport website, I bought all my engine rebuild parts from Raffi since a friend used to know him from when he lived and raced Vdubs in CA. Raffi was a good guy to deal with.

I had noticed that places like Summit and Jegs sell exhaust tubes/bends, but I didn't think of piecing them together to make the over axle pipe. I'm guessing that some 30deg bends would be about right.

A friend mentioned having an exhaust shop bend something, but the current over axle pipe as part of what looks like a Supersprint cat back system isn't suitable for reproducing.

I was wanting to put some flanges in the exhaust system for ease of service and increased robustness to slippage, so I'm liking the idea of piecing something together from some bends to get it just right and then perhaps having an exhaust place make something permanent.

shwah
03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
crawl under the car, and measure before ordering, I could swear I used 45s, but maybe they were 30s.

Small world. I have known Raffi since the early days of the Midwest Treffen, when they were a big supporter. Also, Gary at 247-parts.com is his cousin. Good guys that bleed VW blue and white.

Flyinglizard
03-16-2010, 11:00 PM
I use home depot EMT tubing , 2 in. and one 90, that I cut and twist. Butt weld the ends. Clean inside, strong and cheap. WFM,
MM

racer_tim
03-31-2010, 10:47 PM
GTIspirit, what are the smog requirements for your state? On my Mk1 Wabbit, I just use a 12" flex pipe, to a 24" cherry bomb glass pack, to a 45 degree down pipe, and exit the exhaust right in front of the rear beam axle. Of course, this car isn't driven on the street, but it has NEVER had a problem with exceeding 103 db on the track.