PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 142 Fuel Pump

anthony1k
03-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm finding out the hard way what it means to be racing an old car. It looks like the fuel pump on my 1971 142 (D-Jetronic) called it quits. I looked around for a replacement and what I found was absurdly expensive and doubtful that it will even fit. This model has a 28 PSI / 22 GPH fuel pump that is too low of a pressure/flow compared to most modern FI fuel pumps. It is possible to run a higher pressure pump, say 50 PSI, and restrict the pressure and flow through the pressure regulator? TIA

Streetwise guy
03-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Does the 71 still have 3 hoses at the pump, or was that earlier? Volvo quit those pumps years ago, and Bosch followed suit fairly quickly. Now the good news- any modern pump can be used, since most systems run 45 psi. The pressure is regulated down at the fuel rail, and is adjustable too. I would probably go to the wrecker and grab the pump/filter assembly from a 85 or newer 240. Bring all the wire connectors and banjo fittings and whatall- it will make for a better quality installation. The reason I suggest the Volvo/Bosch pump is purely a quality issue- they deadhead at well over 150 psi, with lots of volume- universal EFI pumps tend to be junk.

Back to my original 3 hose question- if thats the system you have, you may have to alter the return line and pressure regulator........but its been 30 years since I last did one, and memory is fading.

anthony1k
03-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Does the 71 still have 3 hoses at the pump, or was that earlier? Volvo quit those pumps years ago, and Bosch followed suit fairly quickly. Now the good news- any modern pump can be used, since most systems run 45 psi. The pressure is regulated down at the fuel rail, and is adjustable too. I would probably go to the wrecker and grab the pump/filter assembly from a 85 or newer 240. Bring all the wire connectors and banjo fittings and whatall- it will make for a better quality installation. The reason I suggest the Volvo/Bosch pump is purely a quality issue- they deadhead at well over 150 psi, with lots of volume- universal EFI pumps tend to be junk.

Back to my original 3 hose question- if thats the system you have, you may have to alter the return line and pressure regulator........but its been 30 years since I last did one, and memory is fading.

Thank you for the response. Everyone is telling me that the '71 came with 3 lines but mine is definately a 2 port unit. It might have been modified at some point. In any case I think this give me a few more options including what you suggested.