PDA

View Full Version : front splitter design

quadzjr
03-08-2010, 05:59 PM
in hopes to help cooling and increase down front downforce at speed I am building a splitter for the front of the mk1 MR2.

I have one question.

I am leaning towards designing it to fail in the case of diging into to the ground in an off-road adventure. So if this happens the splitter can disconnect from the car at the designed locations and all is well, wiht the use of cables and a designed failure point.

The hard mounte apporach that you see on "pro" cars have turnbuckels and are hardmounted. This should make the system stronger and more rigid, and thusly be more effective. However a bumper on an MR2 is rare, and is a MAJOR pia to remove.

Woudl a hard mount that is more "rigid" last a offroad excustion any better, provided that it didn't dig in?

thoughts??

I was looking for the picture of the torn from buper plitter. I believe it was on a blue/purple car but couldn't find it. I just remember the cables hanging everywhere.. which was part of my breakaway splitter design.

lateapex911
03-08-2010, 07:58 PM
it all depends on how hard, and what you hit, I suppose...

quadzjr
03-08-2010, 09:29 PM
I assume the if the splitter goes int eh grass and dgis in, no mater what design it is going to end bad. My worries are say if you push wide and stradle a high rumble strip.

Andy Bettencourt
03-08-2010, 09:38 PM
If I had a car like yours (and am trying to do this with the Mee-Otter) I would just go with an air dam. If you do this and you hit something, it will likely bend backward instead of dig in. I have blown up 2 fiberglass splitters and a codriver exploded another. YMMV.

(edit: all this is moot is you can stay on the track. LOL)

quadzjr
03-09-2010, 09:36 AM
(edit: all this is moot is you can stay on the track. LOL)

It always has been a goal of mine..:023: