PDA

View Full Version : Dang ole, dang le...March Memories

JeffYoung
03-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Had a great race today with Ron Earp at VIR -- low turnout but we had some fast cars in the group. Weather was great.

Neil Harrison put his ITA (yes ITA) 240sx on the overall pole at 2:18.00, I was a couple of tenths back followed by Ron and Chris Plucker in a fast 260z and 280z respectively.

Ron and I got around Neil at the start -- torque will do that -- and proceeded to have 8 laps or so of the best racing I've been a part of it. Nose to tail the whole way. The new FI motor in the TR8 was strong and I led the whole way, but while I'd pull out 6-8 car lengths in the esses or the backstraight, Ron would make it back up in turn 3 and 10.

2 to go and I bobbled in Hog's Pen and went off left, came back on 10-15 seconds back and didn't have a chance to get back in the race -- congrats to Ron for a great win, and a great race.

I went into the race today thinking hmmmm....light field (six cars).....not as competitive as usual, but damn, Ron turned a 17.7, I had an 18.1 and Chris was low 18s as well. Small group, but fast.

Props to new guy Brian Pierce (didn't get a chance to say hello). Despite some damage to the nose of the car in the CCPS yesterday, he ran a 24 in the SARRC. Very nice.

And props to our newest team member Jeff Giordano. After a multi-year layoff, he drove the 260z to a 1st place finish in the Carolina Cup and knocked off a 2:20 lap. Very nice.

Great weekend.

spawpoet
03-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Congrats on what sounds like a fun and successful weekend!

Ron Earp
03-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Not much more I can add except that Jeff had that race pure and simple. Wish he'd have won it as it was his. Good weekend and it was nice to see some IT folks up at the track.

Got the race up in parts, will post them up here. Part one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INlTjQCkmkk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KjI9ZwrpDA

lateapex911
03-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Good stuff guys! Ron, nice job getting that Z developed and across the line first. Jeff, your day will come, you've been at the door a number of times.

(Odd that just last Friday, NY got a foot or two of snow and I plowed my way to the airport that was nearly shut down. (2000 flights canceled, yet a week later and just a few hundred miles south, you're racing!)

SPiFF
03-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Man .. Jeff's car looks like it rolls out! I hope I have something for you guys at CMP. I'll get rolled at VIR for sure. I can't run those times (yet).

Charles Perry
03-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Looked like lots of fun, nice weather too, wish I was there..........!

Parrish57
03-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Not much more I can add except that Jeff had that race pure and simple. Wish he'd have won it as it was his.

Congratulations Ron!!! And don't be so fast to give that win away. It's not anyones win until the checkers drops and wins are not easy to come by so enjoy!

tim240z
03-08-2010, 02:24 PM
I came in here looking for March Mammories :(

Congrats on the win Ron!

Tristan Smith
03-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Good Job Ron, congrats. That Jeff guy can never keep it on the tarmac! geez.

Ron Earp
03-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Man, where was everyone this weekend? We sure did miss all of you regulars. Anyone planning on coming to CMP later this month?

manning68
03-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Wow, great view Ron!! Thanks for sharing, sorry for Jeff, but what a race. Well done both. See you on track next time, not just spectating.
Victor

pballance
03-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Good Job Ron! I really enjoyed the show. Jeff, you have got the "Shape of things to come" hooked up now. Congrats to you both. YOur time is coming Jeff. :)

Hi Victor. Haven't seen you for a while. Maybe you can make it to Nashville in June or I can make it to CMP this year.

Paul

Ron Earp
03-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Uh oh. I just noticed something in the vid that I don't see on track. Oil pressure dropping in right hand turns. You can't see it all the time because the video is bad, but in some scenes you can see the oil pressure drop down to like 20 lbs, or see it returning from being down.

This motor has one of the Arizona Z pans on it. I was thinking that Steve P had one of these. Anyone have one and have oil pressure fluctuations and these pans? With my old Nismo pan I have had absolutely zero oil pressure fluctuations, nada.

iambhooper
03-08-2010, 09:58 PM
again, great run guys! and congrats to Neal on the pole!

hoop

tim240z
03-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Uh oh. I just noticed something in the vid that I don't see on track. Oil pressure dropping in right hand turns. You can't see it all the time because the video is bad, but in some scenes you can see the oil pressure drop down to like 20 lbs, or see it returning from being down.

This motor has one of the Arizona Z pans on it. I was thinking that Steve P had one of these. Anyone have one and have oil pressure fluctuations and these pans? With my old Nismo pan I have had absolutely zero oil pressure fluctuations, nada.

Dude... we had Sam build us an oil pan... Talk about bang for our buck. With a large cooler we hold almost 8 quarts and its actually lighter then the Arizona Zcar aluminum brick and have ZERO problems with OP.

JeffYoung
03-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Tell me about it! What a doof! And it wasn't even brakes this time....

Good Job Ron, congrats. That Jeff guy can never keep it on the tarmac! geez.

iambhooper
03-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Tell me about it! What a doof! And it wasn't even brakes this time....

mistakes are part of it, you were running at the end and actually saw the checkered flag... how many times have you not been able to say that?!

tbtapper
03-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Wow, you guys keep getting faster by the race! Who'se your sponsors?!!

Hope to see you at CMP eom. Finally, found my fueling "problem" cost all of nothing to fix and a $thou to find!

Won't have much for anyone (stuck on Nitto's 'casue kids tuition is due) but at least I can expect to be running at the end of the race.

Looking forward to VIR in May right?? Man I've been waiting for years to be back there. Love that place.

See ya

Travers
ITS19

quadzjr
03-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Is the shift light jsut a suggestion? with no ill effects if not followed?

Ron Earp
03-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Wow, you guys keep getting faster by the race! Who'se your sponsors?!!

VISA. Come on down to CMP!

Is the shift light jsut a suggestion? with no ill effects if not followed?

I like my lights to come on about 400 RPM before you must shift. That way if I'm busy and the light comes on I know what I have left and can make some decisions. I don't like them setup so that it comes on at the absolute max engine speed because then when it comes on you're obligated to stop whatever you were doing.

I shift about 6800 RPM in the car, although the motor is safe to about 7100 RPM. Damage starts to occur around 7300/7400 RPM or thereabouts. Doesn't rev like the 240 motor likes to.

If I can get that damn clutch pack unpacked so it isn't a locker the car will for sure be faster. Doesn't turn as well as it could.

tim240z
03-13-2010, 01:46 AM
VISA. Come on down to CMP!

I like my lights to come on about 400 RPM before you must shift. That way if I'm busy and the light comes on I know what I have left and can make some decisions. I don't like them setup so that it comes on at the absolute max engine speed because then when it comes on you're obligated to stop whatever you were doing.

I shift about 6800 RPM in the car, although the motor is safe to about 7100 RPM. Damage starts to occur around 7300/7400 RPM or thereabouts. Doesn't rev like the 240 motor likes to.

If I can get that damn clutch pack unpacked so it isn't a locker the car will for sure be faster. Doesn't turn as well as it could.

Have you measured your break away tq? If so whats it at?

Ron Earp
03-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Have you measured your break away tq? If so whats it at?

About 11 billion foot pounds. Guy that put it together for me packed it up too tight. I have got a stub axle setup for measuring it but I have not done it. Don't need too. This thing is locked at all times. In the paddock, on track, coming off the track hot, etc. Chirps wheels all the time if any steering input is put into the car.

But, I'll have some new play toys at CMP. A 4.11 with a Quaife unit. I used to use it years ago with a 3.9 and it was pretty decent, just the 3.9 didn't work anywhere I raced - CMP, VIR, or Roebling.

Mike Mackaman
03-13-2010, 02:06 PM
I noticed that the OP seems to hold well in Hog Pen. You don't pull more right hand g's than that at VIR. Remember OP goes up and down with RPM. Also, you may want to put a shield around your light. Mine would catch the sunlight and light up, scared the dookie out of me. Mine is round, so a 3/4" section of conduit welded to a washer and glued to the dash and no more sun on the idiot light. Good use of the video to catch that! Look at your lap times and what you are doing in the car. I saw something that is costing you in two places every lap you did it, and Jeff pulls away every time you do it. Buy me a beer next time I see you and I'll tell you what it is.

Mike

Ron Earp
03-13-2010, 02:45 PM
I saw something that is costing you in two places every lap you did it, and Jeff pulls away every time you do it. Buy me a beer next time I see you and I'll tell you what it is.
Mike

Ok, but do tell as beer is always free in my paddock area.

But if it is the variable lines in T1 and before Oak Tree, I was doing that on purpose to see if I could find a way to make up some time on Mr. Young. My experiments didn't gain in T1, but I did finally settle on a line in Oak Tree that would close up a couple of car lengths that I sorely needed.

Inside braking zone into T1 is better than the braking on the outside. Sometimes handy if lanes are crowded and you need to get around someone, although you'll generally give up some T1 exit speed to pull that off.

JeffYoung
03-13-2010, 04:24 PM
I know a super secret line through Hog's Pen I will share with you......

lateapex911
03-13-2010, 07:37 PM
yea, I was thinking that oak tree and T1 were not what the comment was about... ;)

Ron Earp
03-13-2010, 08:52 PM
yea, I was thinking that oak tree and T1 were not what the comment was about... ;)

The best I could was a 2:17 something and that lap is in this video. There is time in there, such as in Hog's Pen. And it appears I got a bit of a draft on that lap which I was not doing well on other laps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWXt8qLsRAY

tim240z
03-14-2010, 10:56 PM
About 11 billion foot pounds. Guy that put it together for me packed it up too tight. I have got a stub axle setup for measuring it but I have not done it. Don't need too. This thing is locked at all times. In the paddock, on track, coming off the track hot, etc. Chirps wheels all the time if any steering input is put into the car.

But, I'll have some new play toys at CMP. A 4.11 with a Quaife unit. I used to use it years ago with a 3.9 and it was pretty decent, just the 3.9 didn't work anywhere I raced - CMP, VIR, or Roebling.

If you ever dig into it... just set it to stock... something like 55 ft lbs I think.