PDA

View Full Version : IT7 quick release steering hub

SLUF
03-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Seeing Espenlaub's article in the latest GRM on the fire got me to thinking of my egress capabilities in the POS-7. Getting out could be made a whole lot easier on my slow, old, fat ass if I had a quick release wheel in front of me. Any of you first gen guys done this? (I'm sure some of you have) And what is a good source for parts as well as a steering wheel recommendation? Pics would be nice too!

Of course my teenage son does not have this issue! (YET!)

dickita15
03-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Well I have always gone cheap and simple. I used a ¾” weld on adapter from the local stock car mail order place (Capital Motorsports) and a cheap stock car wheel. I believe a weld on adapter is legal. Some disagree. A little bit of work with a grinder is needed to reduce the shaft diameter. If you do a weld on drape the column with wet rags, otherwise you will melt the plastic pin that allows the column to collapse. It is not the end of the world but it can be a little annoying to have it slide in and out.

Dano77
03-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Get a 12x1.5 lug nut from any gm till now,not the chrome one the gross acorn style. Weld the stock car steering adapter to the tapered end of the lug nut,the end that contacts the wheel. attach the quick release and steering wheel to the whole contraption and thread onto the stock steering shaft where the stock wheel bolts on. apply a lot of tourque to the wheel by turning full right hard. Tack weld the adaptor to the splines of the shaft and your out for about 50 bucks.
Local circle track basics AKA Cheap ass Dan.

SLUF
03-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm all about cheap fixes! Thanks for the help.

tom_sprecher
03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Check out this thread and my reply.

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=282912&postcount=12

This allow disassembly of the steering column should the sector bearings fail when you hit something hard. Don't ask me how I know.

SLUF
03-05-2010, 12:53 PM
OK..................cheap fixes and don't hit the wall hard. I knew I could count on the community for the proper help!

racingralph
03-05-2010, 05:49 PM
i know there are others out there , look at the one ISC racing offers.its made for mazdas , i believe it will work with other makes. ralph

Hotshoe
03-05-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm all about cheap fixes! Thanks for the help.

Here is a link to a very easy fix for your Quick Disconnect.
How To: Quick Disconnect for 1st Gen RX7 and Miata (http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20515)

If you have any questions, just contact me.

Rickey T.

SLUF
03-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Very nice guys and thanks for all the input. This is going on my to do list!