PDA

View Full Version : ITA Instruction

gizmo83
02-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Does any one know of any ITA drivers willing to instruct for entry fees or something like that?
Possibly at New Hampshire track day before Regional.
I've never learned as much as when a driver watches and advises one on one.
Once again my car will be very different when I drive again in the Spring and could use HELP!
I was glad to hear this is be kind to Newbie year!
Sorry Dan!:rolleyes:

Greg Amy
02-08-2010, 08:04 PM
You will be quite surprised at the number of accomplished drivers more than willing to assist. I, for one, contract my driver coaching and data acquisition services for $500/day plus expenses; however, if I'm already there at the track anyway then free beer with dinner at the end of the day usually works...:shrug:

Post up here when you're gonna be at the track and we'll be glad to help.

GA

JLawton
02-08-2010, 09:17 PM
I was glad to hear this is be kind to Newbie year!
Sorry Dan!:rolleyes:

You guys are NOT newbies anymore!!!! :rolleyes:

MMiskoe
02-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Denise:

If you can fit the car w/ a passenger seat you can go run w/ COM. They have an event on the Monday of Memorial day weekend. They require the passenger be as safely restrained as the driver and they don't do much passing. However, you can learn a ton w/ a person sitting next to you. I think you'll find a fair number of SCCA drivers who started w/ COM.

Matt

JLawton
02-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Actually, Greg brings up a good point. Get a DL-1 system. You won't get a better bang for your buck than that. You've got lots of people to compare your data to and you have a better situation than most where you can compare data with Dan in the same car........ Not that you want to do what he's doing............ :D

Andy Bettencourt
02-09-2010, 08:49 AM
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1340793

You are already out qualifying Dan! 3 seconds from session to session...just a little coaching here and there... :)

Then in the damp race, you beat a TON of cars....gonna be a good year!

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1340792

gran racing
02-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Get a DL-1 system. You won't get a better bang for your buck than that.

I agree the DL1 is a great tool to have, but I think you also need to recognize what would benefit you personally at this stage in your racing career. For some people it might be having data, others having a one-to-one coaching day. I also think all of this will shift and eventually a combination would be ideal.

Denise,
I've only had the pleasure of having two driver coaching days but they were extremely helpful!! I learn much better visually and the absolute best thing was being able to ride shot gun in my car with a driver who made me realize just how much I suck at driving. LOL! What it quickly did was show me that yes, the car is absolutely capable of doing X. They were also able to provide feedback about how the car was reacting and which I wasn't able to feel at that point in my experience level. I can tell you without a doubt that my confidence level rose after those two events and when I'm in the car I still hear him "DO NOT LIFT!!!" (I asked him "you're not nervous? I'm starting to." He told me no because if we crash, he was going to kick my ass. LOL!!)

Seriously, it's well worth the investment. Greg is local, is THE Greg Amy after all (won't need to toute his driving abilites beyond that :) ), knows the tracks, and will be able to help you a ton. Or ask Andy. Better yet, get some fantastic comedy and have them both instruct you at the track the same day. You could probably sell tickets to people to fund that one. heee, heee.

I know that I'm looking forward to when I can afford to have him help me at the Glen and know he'd be able to get me where I'm capable of.

Andy Bettencourt
02-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Or how about a hybrid. This year, as you dial in the new stuff and build on your knowledge base, do the driver coaching thing. Then this time next year, invest in the DL-1 (very prolific in the NE and especially in ITA, we have 13 cars with them) and really get granular on what you have been learning.

It's ok to do it in stages.

mossaidis
02-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Dan:

If you can fit the car w/ a passenger seat you can go run w/ COM. They have an event on the Monday of Memorial day weekend. They require the passenger be as safely restrained as the driver and they don't do much passing. However, you can learn a ton w/ a person sitting next to you. I think you'll find a fair number of SCCA drivers who started w/ COM.

Matt

I started with COMSCC as well... highly recommended and lots of fun! Many of their instructors are SCCA and BMWCCA club racers.

wepsbee
02-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Actually, Greg brings up a good point. Get a DL-1 system. You won't get a better bang for your buck than that. You've got lots of people to compare your data to and you have a better situation than most where you can compare data with Dan in the same car........ Not that you want to do what he's doing............ :D

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1340793

You are already out qualifying Dan! 3 seconds from session to session...just a little coaching here and there... :)

Then in the damp race, you beat a TON of cars....gonna be a good year!

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1340792

Wow , I am getting killed here:blink:

Anyway I think the coach idea for this year would be great. Car has to have the upgrades finished and hopefully I can keep up with Denise.:rolleyes:

Andy Bettencourt
02-09-2010, 02:46 PM
It's all good Dan! If you want to run in ITA in NE, you have to be willing to take some ribbing!

gizmo83
02-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks everyone! We probably will do a combination of some kind!! I do think I need coaching...I seem to learn best by having someone watch what I may be doing wrong at each corner! I got much better at Limerock by taking it one corner at a time and trying to improve each corner. I get amazed at how fast the car could go if I knew what to do with it!! I also go faster if I think I can get my big brother!!

wepsbee
02-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Does anyone already have any track days planned?

wepsbee
02-09-2010, 05:33 PM
It's all good Dan! If you want to run in ITA in NE, you have to be willing to take some ribbing!

No problem there. It is all in fun. However reading some of the back and forth between all the ITA NE drivers it amazes me that there is no gunfire in the garages!!!!:rolleyes:

dickita15
02-09-2010, 07:28 PM
usually there is a test day before every NHMS NER event.

Andy Bettencourt
02-09-2010, 07:29 PM
No problem there. It is all in fun. However reading some of the back and forth between all the ITA NE drivers it amazes me that there is no gunfire in the garages!!!!:rolleyes:

Some of the best races are me and Lawton - to GRID! :happy204: