PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier R6, A6, & rains

rsportvolvo
01-28-2010, 08:00 PM
After reading about the 2009 ARRC results I became aware that folks are using the Hoosier R6 as a medium-hard compound DOT race tire and the Hoosier A6 as a medium-soft DOT race tire. Are a lot of folks are doing this? Anyone willing to share the ballpark figure for the ambient temperature crossover point between the two?

As for the Hoosier DOT rain tires do most folks use a narrower rain tire?

I need to purchase tires for the spring and for my initial suspension setup and Hoosier appears to have the best DOT tire line.

gran racing
01-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Dave, this is for your Volvo, right? How heavy is that thing / easy on tires? I've thought about running the As, but wonder how they'd hold up on my car being fairly front heavy and with ITB running on 6" wide rims.

What size rims is the lowest you're allowed to use? Basically, is a 13" rim allowed? (Hoosier Dirt Stocker related question.)

rsportvolvo
01-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Dave, this is for my Volvo 240. I currently have a set of new old stock Goodyear GS-SC's. My plan is to use them for driver's schools and initial shake downs. Then transition to the Hoosiers.

I can run either a 14x6 or 15x6 wheel on the Volvo. The ITCS curb weight is 2780, so she weighs a bit more than a lot of other ITB cars. I've crewed for and helped out a few friends running the 240 and they are not too hard on their tires. But that was awhile back. They all run a 15x6 wheel as most of the Volvo alloys from that era are that size.

I'm going to setup my suspension and gearing with the 225/50R-15 R6/A6 for drys and run the 205/50R-15 for wets. Some 142 folks run a 225/45R-15, but I like the extra load capacity of the 50-series tire (@ 182# according to Hoosier) since the 240 has a high curb weight.

Do you know what the durometer ratings are for the A6 & R6? I need to check with Hoosier on construction differences and temp. recommendations. If the construction is the same I shouldn't have to change the alignment much.

I just ordered your book and look forward to reading through it. This isn't my first car build, but my first club car build so I can use some pointers.

trhoppe
01-29-2010, 04:14 PM
- The A6 will come up to temp faster
- On a light car, it will not go off through a 40 minute race
- It will be a bit faster. How much? debatable
- Unless you have EVERYTHING ELSE done, stick with and setup the car for the R6
- You will not just bolt on the A6 and go faster, you'll have to test for it and set it up
- The A6 will not last as long as the R6

-Tom