PDA

View Full Version : Would this MR2 be an IT car?

xkaupx
01-26-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm new to IT racing and am looking to possibly pick up a car and go racing this year. One car I have my eyes on is an 86 MR2. It hasn't been classed in IT, but ran in GT-3 class under COMMA at the Hallett, OK track.
I have been searching around trying to get more details on the COMMA GT-3 class to see what that parallels with in SCCA.

From the COMMA rule book: "COMMA operates cars in
two broad categories: closed and open wheel. The Closed-wheel classes are:
GT1, GT2, GT3, Production Stock A (PA), Production Stock Super (PS),
SpecMiata (SM)"
I have found some people run IT cars in their GT-3 class, but not sure if it works the other way.

The seller bought this car already race prepared and it was reliable. They haven't had to put a new motor in or anything, but they do know that the motor has been replaced before. It has a few bolt ons, but nothing that seems out of place for an IT car to my knowledge. :shrug:

I like the MR2 platform, and it seems to be a reliable racer. I don't want to have to spend a whole lot of money on it though to get it into IT.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

tnord
01-26-2010, 05:42 PM
it looks like the dash has been replaced, not a legal modification for IT.

if you're not set on this particular car, i'm local to you and can help you find one.

email me anytime; [email protected]

xkaupx
01-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Good catch on the dash. That could be just the tip of the iceberg for all I know. I have yet to find COMMA GT-3 specs, so I have no idea what they allow.
I am not set on a particular vehicle (though I do think an MR2 would be fun). I would prefer rear wheel drive, but to get started I am mostly looking for something that is pretty solid that has available parts.

tnord
01-26-2010, 06:19 PM
how much are you looking to spend on a car and per season?

are you opposed to miatas? there's a decent BMW down here in KC for sale too.

xkaupx
01-26-2010, 06:38 PM
I would be fine with a Miata or BMW, but they seem to be out of my price range. Right now I'm looking at around $3000. I also don't have a trailer yet. So car and trailer $4000-4500 total if possible. I originally didn't think that I would be able to get a car this year, but cars have been popping up that are in my price range.

tnord
01-26-2010, 06:49 PM
That's not very much, but you're right, there are cars out there for that.

I'd suggest adding first gen rx-7s to your search list. I'll keep an eye out.

quadzjr
01-26-2010, 07:06 PM
This is coming from an MR2 guy

That thing is far from an IT car.

It has a 20Valve 4age, so you would have to source a engine, tranny,axles, and alos update he cage to IT or any spec.. it has only been an dHPDE car for a long time.

here is the history of the car as far as I can see.

http://www.crispinbeaver.com/history/

http://www.crispinbeaver.com/history/gt3.jpg

"In June of 2004 Crispin left go karts behind and moved into full sized racecars.

His family selected Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, a 1.7-mile road course west of Tulsa, as the next conquest in his escalating career. They purchased a race-prepared Toyota MR-2 for competition in Hallett's GT-3 class and a Volkswagon street car equipped with a manual transmission to teach Crispin the intricacies of the stick shift.

At eleven years of age Beaver picked up the knack of shifting quickly by working with his grandfather in the driveway of their home. Crispin followed up his transmission training with the Stephen's Brothers Driving School at Hallett, where he logged his first laps on a full-sized road course.

But before Crispin could get the car into competition, his driving abilities had already reached and exceeded the car's limits. Class regulations limited what could be done to increase the Toyota's speed so the only remaining option was to find a faster car.

Crispin would find one and make his mark with it the following season."

xkaupx
01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Good find. Yeah that is far more stuff then I am willing to do just starting out. The car was listed as an Improved Touring racer, but no class or history of running in IT. It's definitely off the list. Thanks for sorting me out.
I don't have anything against RX-7, so that would definitely be considered.

woodc
01-28-2010, 02:42 PM
I was a MR2 person at one time...had an F-Prod MR2 and an ITA (at the time) one as well.

MK1 MR2s are dirt cheap, very fun and surprising reliable. That being said they are pretty heavy, don't have the best suspension and are getting tough to find stock parts for...much less race specific parts.

If you can afford the jump to a Miata I would recommend it....the upgrade/competitive path for the car is much better....and out of the box it is lighter, has better suspension and makes more power...