PDA

View Full Version : Block and Head Question

Chris P
01-19-2010, 12:04 AM
I did some searching and it looks like this question was posed about 6 years ago. My "ITB" 87 Golf has a GX head and a solid lifter head (026-103-373f). Is this still (or was it ever) legal? This is one of many questionable things and this would help me decide where to class it.

Quick history: car was built in 2000 (quickly and cheaply) as a replacement ITB Golf and the owner lost interest shortly thereafter with maybe a track day and 1 or 2 autocrosses before I got it last Christmas. No log book. Built by a local "professional" fabricator.

Thanks,
Chris

jetta87
01-19-2010, 05:15 AM
i am building a 85 jetta with engine code gx. and yes it is still leagl i believe. i was reading the new rules few weeks ago. whats done to the car?

suspension?
cage?
brakes?

ecy. u get the jist of what im sayin

Flyinglizard
01-19-2010, 10:24 AM
The solid lift head, JH, never came in a MK 2, USA, Golf.IMHO Any time the JH head was in a car in the USA, it came with either 8.5 to one pistons, or 9/1 pistons in a ( 85- 87) Rocco or (84-89)Cabriolet.And of course the 83-84 GTI. All of the Digi Cabs seem to have the Hydro head, about 89 or so. I cant see any difference on the Cab pistons so maybe they are the same.
If you have a 10 to engine, inthe Golf 2 , you are going to be fine. Run the car as is , through your schools or whatever. Get the car and driver up to speed.
Some one will trade you for that JH head,as they rev a little better and the oval trak guys use them. I Use the hydro head,( on all of my race vws) as it is my rules. But some of my customers use the solid head.
I may have one to trade, skimmed, lapped, new springs, seals,matched with a legal cam. For 400$ plus your old head.

Chris P
01-20-2010, 12:57 AM
Totally get your point about getting car and driver up to speed. Thanks for the info about the heads. I've learned a lot reading your posts while lurking about.

Jetta87:
My car was thrown together by the PO to get it on the track as quickly as possible with a very limited budget. Although the engine and trans were rebuilt, the cage is an Autopower U Weld It and the suspension was stock dampers on cut stock springs; no sways. I have put a stock suspension on it for now while researching my options. I'm planning on cutting out the cage and going custom. Brakes are stock vented rotors and pads. There are other things changed or missing from the stock car that may make it illegal for ITB based on my last reading of the rules. I'm hoping to get it to my local scrutineer soon.

Flyinglizard
01-20-2010, 11:34 AM
The cage is heavy, but if you run a seat tube on/across the floor between the front post it should be safe, enough. The post to car connections are the weak link. The seat tube should be touching the floor and tunnel so that it contacts the floor pan with any pressure on the cage,inverted.
The rear post should have tabs to the small triangles, above the floor ,at the edge of the back seat, along with the floor /corner pads.
If the post are just welded to the floor, without any risers to the rockers, dont race it!!

The cage can push through the floor on impact. I approached Autopower about a simple improvement for the bolt in cages, but they didnt want to pay anything for my patent approved design.
I have two Mk 2 parts cars that should have any trinkets to get your car legalish.
I have also built many of the VW cars to rent, meaning that I have built cheap, safe, fairly fast cars over the period of 20years.
Let me know what you need to get it out there..

Flyinglizard
01-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Maybe take a look at the Production rules. Cheaper if most of your car has been stripped. Just need to get a fire system. But you can run take off SRF tires for free, VW pays some cash for top three maybe. Might be a good way to get racing, with the package that you already have.