PDA

View Full Version : electtronic distributor or not ?

Tim Dugan
12-26-2009, 08:15 AM
im getting ready to buy a new distributor for my 85 vw gti 1.8 and was told to use a mechanical dis. but i was wondering how do you buypass the electronics in the distributor to get the car to run? is it really a big help or is it just preference for some people? i have built a new motor so everything is fresh pluse where might i get a computer chip made and how much should i be looking to spend im getting readdy to put the car on the dino for some tunning time? :shrug: thanks for all the help

chuck baader
12-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Contact DIY autotune and see if they have a PNP module for your car with electronic distributor. You can do much more with the MS unit than stock with a chip. Chuck

shwah
12-29-2009, 08:54 AM
I would not run the mechanical distributor. The cheap answer is keep the current distributor and run fixed spark - feed the hall signal straight to the ignition module. The better answer is as Chuck noted - contact DIY AutoTune and use a megasquirt system to run a customizable ignition map. I will find out this year if the best answer is to convert the car to Digifant and run MS with fuel and igntion control compared to CIS-E.

Flyinglizard
12-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Can I get a map that idles at 35* and than goes back to a normal curve, off idle?? TIA. MM