PDA

View Full Version : Requirements for Honda VX in ITA ?

Buitrex
12-22-2009, 11:06 AM
I have a civic Vx which I prepped to race with NASA H1, but I am not longer in the US and the only race class available near me is ITA class. This means that I need to convert my car to ITA specs.

I have read the rules, but still have a few questions that maybe experienced drivers related to this class and to honda may be able to answer.

-Can I use Coilovers? I am currently using PIC coilovers

- I have rear disc brake swap. Is this legal?

- Can I update my front brakes to Si ones 9in to 10 in or do they have to be the stock oem ones?

- Which are the weight limits? Are these with driver or without. Will the weight vary if I swap from the d15 to a d16 or d16 vtec? Can I swap the engine?

- What engine mods are legal besides I/H/E and the 1in porting to IM?

- Can I change the windows for lexan?

-Are fuel cells mandatory? From what I read they are not required.

-What tire sizes do people with hondas usually use? 13,14 or 15 and what width 205 or 225?

Any suggestions and other comments are welcome.

Thanks

R2 Racing
12-22-2009, 11:58 AM
If you read the GCR, you didn't read it very well. Almost al of this is spelled out pretty clearly.

I have a civic Vx which I prepped to race with NASA H1, but I am not longer in the US and the only race class available near me is ITA class. This means that I need to convert my car to ITA specs.
That is fine, but it means you will have to convert everything on your VX hatch to EXACTLY the specifications of a Si (only EG hatch classified in ITA). Everything, exactly Si. Luckily that's not too difficult. However, the biggest problem you're going to run into is your lack (I assume) of power steering. Racing in ITA as an Si will require it, so you'll need to install it.

Yes, that is legal.

If the rear disc swap is from an Si (or an EX, which are the same), than that's actually something you'd need to do anyways. Should be a 201mm disc.

- Can I update my front brakes to Si ones 9in to 10 in or do they have to be the stock oem ones?
Like your rear brakes, you will need to have whatever an Si came with originally. Should be a 262mm disc.

- Which are the weight limits? Are these with driver or without. Will the weight vary if I swap from the d15 to a d16 or d16 vtec? Can I swap the engine?
Weight for an Si is 2330lbs, which is measured with the driver in the car. Again, everything must be Si spec, so a D16Z6 must be used.

I can't really go into all of that. Read the GCR. Quickly put, you can do up to .040" over and up to a 1/2 point increase in compression. Balance, but not lighten. All OEM parts.

No. OEM glass only.

No, not required, but if you do have one, there are requirements to how it's installed. Read the GCR.

-What tire sizes do people with hondas usually use? 13,14 or 15 and what width 205 or 225?
In ITA, you can run a 14" or 15" wheel, that's no wider than 7". Plan to run a 225 tire.

Buitrex
12-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks for your post. That is all I needed to know.

BruceG
12-22-2009, 03:58 PM

I have read the rules, but still have a few questions that maybe experienced drivers related to this class and to honda may be able to answer.

Any suggestions and other comments are welcome.

Thanks

Where are you located? You mentioned you weren't in the US? Wasn't aware that SCCA ran outside of The United States, Hawaii, Alaska and PR...LOL

Buitrex
12-23-2009, 08:52 AM
It really isn't SCCA, but they go by their rules. It is in PR.

I read above regarding power steering. Is it mandatory that I add it? I don't see much difference in having it or not and I looked at the GCR and could not find anything specific to it.

Also, I read in the GCR about the heater core needing to be in the car, is this correct or I understood it in another way? My car does not have it and I don't see that it could make any difference in the car besides weight.

Thanks

R2 Racing
12-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Yes, an ITA car isn't allowed to remove the heater core, and if your car (an Si in your case) came with power steering, than you must have it installed and operable. No, it doesn't say in the GCR "You must have your power steering installed and operable.", but it doesn't say you can remove it either. A classic case of "If it doesn't say you can, you can't." (commonly referred to as IIDSYCYC) way of thinking that will help keep you out of trouble with the stewards. If the GCR doesn't expressly say you can do it, than assume you can't.

Buitrex
12-23-2009, 12:15 PM
If the power steering and heater core need to be in the car then I won't be able to change my car completely unless I buy all the parts and swap them in. I don't feel like spending the money and going throug the trouble of adding those parts in.

Andy Bettencourt
12-23-2009, 12:26 PM
And Kevin's posty isn't just 'common wisdom'. It says it right in the ITCS. 'Only the following authorized mods are allowed'...

That means if it doesn't say you can, then you CAN'T.

mossaidis
12-23-2009, 09:35 PM
If you prepped the car to run H1, then consider SCCA ITE or STU classes. Less money and hassle if I understand your situation correctly.

R2 Racing
12-24-2009, 02:24 AM
Could also consider running it as an Si in F Production, where you wouldn't need any of that crap.

Buitrex
12-24-2009, 09:46 AM
I would run in F Production, ITE or STU, but the thing is that the only categories that are being run are ITA and I thinkg GT1 and GT2. From what I have seen ITA has around 10 cars and the others 5 or less.

Sincerely it sucks here, but I have to deal with what is available.

mossaidis
12-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Might head down in Aguidilla in a few weeks - I would love to stop by and check it out if time allowed.

Buitrex
12-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Might head down in Aguidilla in a few weeks - I would love to stop by and check it out if time allowed.

I am actually from Aguadilla.
I am still debating if I should remove the K-swap, fab a trans bracket that I can bolt to the chassis and weld the shifter plate for the shifter linkage in order to be able to put the d series in.
If you are around long enough there will be an event January 24th in Salinas.

Buitrex
01-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Can someone confirm if a Y8 engine and tranny can be used? The z6 and y8 yield almost the same hp and have the same tranny ratios if not mistaken.
Thanks

R2 Racing
01-03-2010, 12:08 PM
No, must be Z6 stuff. If you put a Y8 in there, you're mixing different generation drivetrains with chassis it never came in from the factory. And they're not exact enough to eachother for it not to matter.

mossaidis
01-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Y8 2nd gear is different when compared to the z6...

http://www.geocities.com/bing_bong916/trannyspecs1.html

Also, the y8 has different intake runners and slighty different head... so it can not be legal for IT (edit: added text) in your EG.

There are plenty of z6 blocks/heads and trannies stateside that you will find on ebay or www.d-series.org (http://www.d-series.org). If your region allows it, you can look into a JDM D16A which is the exactly the same as a z6. Plenty of JDM importers will have a low milage one for under $1K.