PDA

View Full Version : Z Car Pad Group Buy - Carbotech

Ron Earp
12-17-2009, 03:42 PM
I was speaking with Carbotech some months ago and they indicated they'd be open to doing a discount on pads in bulk. I called them back this afternoon to see what sort of discount they could offer and of course they said it depends on how many, how many are pre-bedded, and so on.

So, question - anyone interested in Carbotech pads for their Z? If you are I'd be willing to organize the buy and take delivery of the pads then get them sent to you. If it is something you'd like to do let me know how many sets of pads you would like to have. I'll send all that to Danny and see what sort of deal we can get.

I'm in for four sets, XP-10s are what I generally run.

pballance
12-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Hey Ron, describe the braking feel for the pads, longevity (like it matters with a Z), rotor life and overall characteristics of the XP-10.

I have been running HT-10's on the front.

Ask them about shoes at a discount as well. :)

tim240z
12-17-2009, 07:38 PM
We really like the porterfields we've been running, but Id bet the carbotechs are better (but more expensive) Id be willing to go for a few sets though.

Ron Earp
12-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi Paul,

I think most of the Z guys I race with use them. Pedal feel is good, they last a reasonable amount of time (CMP will kill a set but CMP is the hardest track we have on brakes), and don't seem to tear up rotors.

I've used the 10s and 12s, both were very similar. Carbotech has descriptions on their website about the compounds. I think with some volume discounting we'll be in the 130ish range per set.

I've not tried anything else but the Hawk pads and I like Carbotechs better than Hawk. But, brake pad choice is one of those really personal matters and it is hard to but quantitative data on preferences. Been using Carbotechs for about three years and like them.

Ron

spawpoet
12-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Ron, How many races have you gotten out of a set of the carbotechs? Like Tim said we have had Porterfields, and were real happy with the performance, but I'm not confident we got great life out of them. It's kind of hard to tell cause the car saw mixed use with them (5-6 auto-x's, 2 pdx's, 2 schools, 2 race weekends), and we probably didn't really push the pads till the last two race weekends when they went from 3/4 meat to crumbling away. I think we would be in for two set's on the carbotechs, as I'd like to get a comparison. Your timing is good as it was time for us to buy anyway!

Ron Earp
12-18-2009, 10:13 AM
For my car at VIR a set of Carbotechs will last at least four sprint races with good performance.

At Roebling they'll last, heck, I don't know, at least six races. Roebling is not rough on brakes.

At CMP a brand new set of pads will last exactly two races (including practice and qualifying). Sometimes you might want to put new ones on for Sunday and save the other half of Saturday's pads for another track. I generally do. But if you run them the whole weekend they will make it but be used up.

Does that help?

spawpoet
12-18-2009, 11:36 AM
For my car at VIR a set of Carbotechs will last at least four sprint races with good performance.

At Roebling they'll last, heck, I don't know, at least six races. Roebling is not rough on brakes.

At CMP a brand new set of pads will last exactly two races (including practice and qualifying). Sometimes you might want to put new ones on for Sunday and save the other half of Saturday's pads for another track. I generally do. But if you run them the whole weekend they will make it but be used up.

Does that help?

Yes Ron and thank you. Sounds like the Porterfields aren't any worse than the carbotechs as far as durability. And we haven't got our ducting to the brakes in yet. We definitely want two sets if you do the group buy as I'd like to try the carbotechs and compare performance. If you don't do it just let us know.

pballance
12-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Count me in for 2 sets as well Ron. I might as well try them and if they work a little better at lower temps than the HT-10's it might keep me on track after a restart. :)

tim240z
12-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Just to add a little to the pot here, but what kinda of wear does everyone see on the rotors? We have one rotor that got chewed up real good, yet the other looks serviceable.

Ron Earp
12-18-2009, 05:03 PM
I've used the same set of rotors through out 2009. That includes VIR, CMP, and Roebling tracks, about 10 races worth. You can also get Carbotech 8s if you are worried about them being too aggressive.

I won't order anything until we get a complete count and I'll make notes here. Steve P, David S, and a few other Z guys use Carbotechs and I hope they can add to the count.

seckerich
12-18-2009, 05:07 PM
I switched to the Carbotechs on my old RX7 and the difference in pedal feel was very noticable. Got better wear than the Hawks and they stayed good down to the backing plate. Ran 7 hours of the VIR 13 and they still looked fair when they came off. Well worth the money. Have not tried some of the newer Hawk compounds, mine were Blue/Black. Tried Hawks at CMP this year and the car was crap under the brakes.

Ron Earp
12-30-2009, 10:51 PM
So, we've got:

Me-4
Chris-2
Paul-2

Any more? Danny from Carbotech just emailed me again wanting to know if we have a decent count. I doubt eight sets is going to do a whole lot for them. I'll call Steve P and check with him. Any other Z racers need pads?

dspillrat
12-31-2009, 12:28 AM
HI Ron,
I got bunches of spares with my Pharr car, but not reall sure, of brand/number.....

Put me down for a couple of HT 10s I guess......

david

Ron Earp
12-31-2009, 08:57 AM
Ok

Ron-4
Chris-2
Paul-2
David-2

Tim, do you want any?

Ron Earp
01-01-2010, 09:01 AM
New total:

Ron-4
Chris-2
Paul-2
David-2
Nathan Rolfe -2

Parrish57
01-19-2010, 09:48 PM
I finally did my inventory and it looks like I could use one set of front pads and one set of rear shoes....

Ron Earp
01-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Okay, everyone all set and committed? I'll give them a call today and see what they can offer.

Ron-4
Chris-2
Paul-2
David-2
Nathan Rolfe -2
Steve P - 1 pads, 1 shoes

Ron Earp
02-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Alright folks, time for commitment. I got the pricing from Carbotech:

CT57-XP10 $122.40 ( per axle set)

CTS411-913 $147.87 (per axle set)

So, $122 for the pads, $147 for the shoes.

Is everyone still on board with the quantity? I don't want to have $1500 in brake pads at my house!:(

pballance
02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Still in and I think I have your paypal addy. If not, send it to my work email :)

Thanks Ron, that is a decent discount on the shoes and I would take one of them if I didn't already have 2 spare sets.

Paul

nathanrolfe
02-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Ron,

I'm still in for two sets of pads. Also, if its not too late, I would be interested in a set of shoes.

Regards,

Nathan

Ron Earp
02-02-2010, 03:43 PM
I've not ordered yet but I will do on Friday. So just confirm or change the order and I'll place it then. So now we have:

Ron-4
Chris-2
Paul-2
David-2
Nathan Rolfe -2, 1 shoes
Steve P - 1 pads, 1 shoes

Money we'll sort out after the stuff gets delivered to me. I can ship through my company for next to nothing so there will be no shipping charges from me to you, unless you live in AK or HI.

tim240z
02-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Chris and I are still in.

Ron Earp
02-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Chris and I are still in.

You guys are there under Chris, 2 sets, correct?

tim240z
02-02-2010, 08:53 PM
You guys are there under Chris, 2 sets, correct?

You got it ;)

Charles Perry
02-03-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't need no stinking shoes!!! I got discs!!!

tim240z
02-03-2010, 05:20 PM

thank god! I've seen what you do to poor 240 brakes... :blink:

pballance
02-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Hey Charles, I am considering selling my '82 Slicktop ZX if you know of anybody looking for one. Little to no rust and drives now with 212k or so.

Ron Earp
02-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Alright, I'll get this ordered up today:

Ron-4
Chris-2
Paul-2
David-2
Nathan Rolfe- 2, 1 shoes
Steve P-1 , 1 shoes

Charles Perry
02-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Paul, will ask around, anything done to it or is bone stock? How much?

Tim, I love brakes!

Ron Earp
02-10-2010, 01:52 PM
The pads/shoes are all ordered and should be delivered to me next week. I'll ship them to you at no charge. All you'll need to do is pay for your total.

Pads were $122.40 per axle, shoes $147.87 per axle.

You can mail the money to me at:

Ron Earp
132 Loch Pointe Drive
Cary NC 27518

or Paypal me at [email protected], but if you do that include a percent or two to cover PayPal's take.

Either way, make sure you include your shipping address, no PO boxes please.

Thanks!
Ron

Ron Earp
02-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Guys, be aware that PayPal takes out about $7.50 per $250, so if you're paying me that way please take that into account and send a bit extra.

Paid List:

Paul B - 2 sets of pads

Ron Earp
02-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Paid List:

Paul B
Christopher C

Ron Earp
02-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Paid List is now

Steve P.
Paul B
Chris C

Leaving David and Nathan. Carbotech has already charged me and the items on on the way, so I would appreciate it if I could get the rest of the payments in. Once all the payments are in I'll ship the pads/shoes out.

Thanks guys,
Ron

Ron Earp
02-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Hey Guys,

The pads and shoes are all here. As soon as all the payments are in I'll get them out to you guys. Carbotech was quite fast.

Ron

Ron Earp
02-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Nathan,

Your carbotech brakes are here and I’ve got them ready for shipment. I’ve gotten everyone’s order shipped out but yours. We have you listed for two sets of pads and one set of shoes.

Total is $122 x 2, plus the shoes at $147, or $391.87. If you use Paypal you can send money to me at [email protected], but need to include a couple extra percent for PayPal fees. Or check to:

Ron Earp
132 Loch Pointe Drive
Cary NC 27518

Thanks!
Ron

Ron Earp
02-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Group buy complete - thanks all for sending the payments in quickly. In the end it was a pretty good deal, saved 18% on the pads and 7% on the shoes (standard SCCA discount is 7%, best they could do).

spawpoet
02-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Ron,
We appreciate you putting this together. After running the Porterfields I'm looking forward to trying the Carbotechs. If you ever make it back down this way to run at Daytona again, or at Sebring, Tim & I would be glad to buy you lunch and a beer or two for your trouble. Good luck at the track this year!

Chris