PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Suppliers

rx7chris
12-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Looking for names and numbers of companies that make brake pads for racing. Don't need to include Hawk, they don't make my pad in an acceptable compound.

joeg
12-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Carbotech!!!

rx7chris
12-16-2009, 07:37 PM
are those the guys in Florida?

ed325its
12-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Porterfield. Have always used them and they have an SCCA discount.

xr4racer
12-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Carbotech is in NC. If you have backing plates, they can probably put their material on them. They may have what you need anyway.

matt

GKR_17
12-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Performance Friction

Ron Earp
12-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Carbotech, also have an SCCA discount and offer pre-bedding services and volume discounts.

gran racing
12-17-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm not a fan of Porterfield. They just wear too quickly and wasn't overly impressed with their performance. Switched to Carbotech and have been happy since. This summer tried their pre-bed pads and that made things nice and convenient!

BruceG
12-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Performance Friction

They are a popular supplier for the V8stockcar series down south and if they can tame a ton a half plus beast, they must be ok....LOL

BruceG
12-17-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm not a fan of Porterfield. They just wear too quickly and wasn't overly impressed with their performance. Switched to Carbotech and have been happy since. This summer tried their pre-bed pads and that made things nice and convenient!

VEE guys swear by the Carbotech drums!!

Marcus Miller
12-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Dave, you must have been running the worng compound. the right compound on our enduro cars lasts 30-ish hours.
The guys in FL are Cobalt friction- I highly recommend their new line of pads (released about 18 months ago)- their first attempt was not so hot, the news are great.
We use porterfield for enduros, cobalt for sprints.
We've also had good luck with Performance friction- several of my drivers like the feel of these the best of the three.

Not so much luck with Carbotech and Hawk. carbotechs in every compound we coudl get to fit wore like a hot knife through butter. Hawk meant lots of Lockups. I haven't been able to try the new DTC line of pads, but reports from driver I trust tell me they feel and act like a Cobalt.
Not enough experience on Pagid to evaluate them.

shwah
12-17-2009, 10:24 AM
I buy the Hawks and cut to fit my brakes.

The Blue stuff doesn't do it for me...

ITA_honda
12-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Carbotech!!!

www.ctbrakes.com

-custom make you any pad/drum that you need.
-SCCA discounts

Carbotech makes the best pads/shoes by far, great modulation under braking, firm pedal feel...never fades, easy of rotors and easy break in process (none required if you purchase the pre-bedded ones)

:eclipsee_steering:

lateapex911
12-17-2009, 01:45 PM
One thing to be aware of: I've found that my rotors are cracking way sooner than in the past. This is due to one or a combination of:

1- Pads are better at dealing with heat these days.
2- Discs are crappier than they used to be.
3- I'm braking harder than I used to, but that indicates skill so that's unlikely, ;)

Xian
12-17-2009, 02:13 PM
There's also Reybestos (sold by Porterfield)... I've had good luck with their ST-43 compound. Looks like they could go 24+ hours on my Civic EX. They're a high friction compound that does require a light touch to keep from having lock-ups.

ccearlock
12-18-2009, 01:35 AM
There's also Reybestos (sold by Porterfield)... I've had good luck with their ST-43 compound. Looks like they could go 24+ hours on my Civic EX. They're a high friction compound that does require a light touch to keep from having lock-ups.

+1 The ST43's are great pads.

Feffman
12-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Carbotech!!!

www.ctbrakes.com (http://www.ctbrakes.com)

-custom make you any pad/drum that you need.
-SCCA discounts

Carbotech makes the best pads/shoes by far, great modulation under braking, firm pedal feel...never fades, easy of rotors and easy break in process (none required if you purchase the pre-bedded ones)

:eclipsee_steering:

Ditto on the Carbotech pads. I've tried others over the years and absolutely swear by the Carbotechs. Even use their street pads on my other cars.

Feff

steve b
12-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Porterfield. Have always used them and they have an SCCA discount.

What compound do you use? I always loved the R-4S for track days and was about to switch to the R-4E when I sold the car I was tracking and bought the racecar.

The racecar came with a lot of carbotechs and hawks so I used them, but never liked the feel as much as with the porterfields. But all of the racers seemed to agree that the porterfields didn't hold up to wtw racing so I've never had the nerve to try them.