PDA

View Full Version : Honda muffler

mikeg
10-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Who makes a good muffler for a ITS Prelude?

R2 Racing
10-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Are you wanting a full length exhaust? Ours just has ~1.5ft of tube off the header, a ~2ft Thrush Cherry Bomb, and a turn down. Always meets sounds and makes good power.

Greg Gauper
10-31-2009, 06:26 PM
I've had very good results with the Borla XR-1 Sportsman racing muffler.
http://www.borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=5&type=72&desc=XR-1%26reg%3b+Racing+Exhaust|XR-1%26reg%3b+Sportsman+Racing+Mufflers
I run one on my H-Pord Civic and typically I am at 90-92db with no loss in power.
It was recommended to me by the guys at King motorsports.

Multi-time GT champ David Finch also recommends them. They are very light weight w/stainless steel construction.

iambhooper
11-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Greg,

Are you using the round or the oval? I've been thinking of "upgrading" the exhaust o the B car, and have always loved the sound of Borla's.

hoop

Greg Gauper
11-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Oval.

I do have to be careful with ground clearence when I back the car off the trailer with the short 20" racing slicks to avoid catching the muffler on one of the cross braces, and if I had to do it over I think the round muffler would fit better in the recessed area just past the shift linkage.

Probably not an issue with DOT tires and the IT 5" ride height rule though...

I have no experience wih one of these, but if you have room for a side exit or have a long pipe with a rear exit, then one of these might be a good choice too:
http://www.borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=5&type=70&desc=XR-1%26reg%3b+Racing+Exhaust|XR-1%26reg%3b+Racing+Bullet+Mufflers

iambhooper
11-03-2009, 07:41 AM
I saw that. At the expense of being a bit ricey :D Ive been running a cherry bomb type exhaust on the car sense it was built, dumping out just behind the driver. It used to exit ou the side, but I had problems with that catching on the trailer all the time (even with the rains on).

I'm thinking of going back to the side exit, maybe with a flat tip for clearance.

hoop

mossaidis
01-20-2010, 10:24 PM
re-opening this thread. I currently run the civic with ~1.5 ft 2.25" OD pipe off a SMS header into a 22" resonator then into a 2.5" ID turndown. At limerock, I posted 98 db @ 50ft. My goal is to have two systems: one for club racing and another for HPDEs/TTs where db limits are much lower ~89db @50ft (89db@50ft). Is there a tunnel dump system that would get me down to 89db- or is a street exhuast my only option?

I want to try an muffled tunnel dump system, but don't want the expense that will only equal failure at a track day. Granted, I should get that car quieter anyway...

mossaidis
01-21-2010, 01:53 PM
I saw that. At the expense of being a bit ricey :D Ive been running a cherry bomb type exhaust on the car sense it was built, dumping out just behind the driver. It used to exit ou the side, but I had problems with that catching on the trailer all the time (even with the rains on).

I'm thinking of going back to the side exit, maybe with a flat tip for clearance.

hoop

Do you know your sound measurements with your current setup?